F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
jcvitte

Reged: Sat
Loc: Dade City Fl
ULL for a novice.
      #77445 - Wed Aug 22 2007 03:00 PM

How do I regognize a ULL? ie. I am looking at water vapor images of what was/us invest92L, I see a clear area to the east, which the images seem to be wrapping around, yet I believe it was mentioned that the ULL that would affect this system had moved into the GOM. Is there another map I should be watching? How do I know what I am looking at is the ULL? Do the low pressure systems push or pull a wave? I can recognize the high pressure ridge to the north in the Atlantic. More importantly, is there a site where I can begin to understand this information. Thanks

--------------------
and in the end, the love you take
is equal to the love you make

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Allison
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Laredo, Texas
Re: ULL for a novice. [Re: jcvitte]
      #77451 - Wed Aug 22 2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

How do I regognize a ULL? ie. I am looking at water vapor images of what was/us invest92L, I see a clear area to the east, which the images seem to be wrapping around, yet I believe it was mentioned that the ULL that would affect this system had moved into the GOM. Is there another map I should be watching? How do I know what I am looking at is the ULL? Do the low pressure systems push or pull a wave? I can recognize the high pressure ridge to the north in the Atlantic. More importantly, is there a site where I can begin to understand this information. Thanks

As a fellow amateur, I can tell you that I've learned to recognize many types of features, including ULL's, by taking the NHC Tropical Weather Discussion (example here) and comparing it with the relevant satellite loops, etc. It is also very helpful to follow along with the lengthy discussions provided by the mets on the forums.

As for what you're seeing on the WV loops, my understanding is that it's no longer a ULL, but an open tropical wave. You are correct that there was previously a ULL over the Bahamas while Dean was still in the Caribbean, but that has since moved through the GOM and into Texas.

--------------------
Allison

Brian B

Reged: Fri
Loc: Pensacola
Re: ULL for a novice. [Re: Allison]
      #77456 - Wed Aug 22 2007 07:16 PM

One thing to know is the characteristics of the source you're using. WV imagery is obviously different from visible and IR. When you're looking at WV, you're looking at the amount of moisture in the atmosphere between about the 700-400 mb level. Upper level lows are seen quite easily in water vapor. Surface features are better seen in IR and enhanced IR, or visible. This is why it is important to look at a number of data sources when forecasting.

--------------------
FSU Meteorology Grad

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: SW FL
      #77458 - Wed Aug 22 2007 08:22 PM

Like Brian B said, you can tell by which Sat source you're using and by the way the feature behaves. Also as Brian B said, WV sat shows you the moisture in the middle to upper atmosphere, so it shows ULL's very clearly. In general, ULL's have very broad circulations. They wrap around for hundreds of miles while surface lows are generally much, much smaller and nearly impossible to see on WV - of course that's unless you have a mature hurricane w/an eye) On the Vis and IR channels you can see from the SFC to the upper levels. SFC features are easiest to distinguish on Vis, but as your eyes get better at seeing the details you'll also be able to see them on IR. You'll also learn to see ULL on those channels as well.

Also, the ULL that was ahead of Dean and could have allowed him move north did move through the GOM and into Mexico. (I think that's the ULL you remembered being mentioned) A new one formed behind Dean and fed off his outflow. During that time it began interacting with an already present tropical wave and created the mess we see now.

jcvitte

Reged: Sat
Loc: Dade City Fl
      #77467 - Thu Aug 23 2007 02:37 PM

Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate your time and knowledge. The answers you provided have helped me tremendously, next system I will be able to follow much more closely and have clarity in interpreting what I am seeing and reading. To everyone who contributes to this site, a big thanks.

--------------------
and in the end, the love you take
is equal to the love you make

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6326

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center