F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 229 (Idalia) , Major: 229 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 229 (Idalia) Major: 229 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Critter report August 26, 2007
      #77499 - Sun Aug 26 2007 07:58 AM

Critters are talking up a storm the past two days. I saw a frog on the back porch which usually indicates copious amounts of rain coming. We have been having the severe thunderstorms throughout the last two days right at dark and beyond. Rain has been greater such as 4 inches at one time in some areas. Florida does not have a problem with rainfall because of sandy SOIl. Unless we have pavement and other rain blocking problems.The critters as I said in the past, do not have ability to say whether storms are hurricanes or just acute weather changes. We have fireants building mounds faster than I can treat them. I know they are hunkering down for either rainy weather or cold weather. Either way the weather is active and so are the critters of habit.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Plant City, Florida
Re: Critter report August 26, 2007 [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #77500 - Sun Aug 26 2007 09:21 AM

I am beginning to wonder if the ants that are streaming into my kitchen (RARELY have them there) are an indication of something to come....have sprayed them several times, but they persist.....had 2.8 inches Friday evening!!

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2023 Season Prediction: 17/6/2

GlenJohnson
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Waldo Florida
Re: Critter report August 26, 2007 [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #77503 - Sun Aug 26 2007 12:59 PM

This makes me wonder. Wife and I were hit head on by a gent that fell asleep in his SUV on SR 100. Been a couple months at home recouping with a broken foot and jammed arm. Do ok, but every now and then my arm will get a terrible jabbing pain and my foot will throb. Seems like a couple hours later, we get rain. I've always heard of people predicting weather with joint pains and such, but didn't beleive it until now. Anybody else know of this?

--------------------
Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none.
Benjamin Franklin
Card carrying Storm Spotter

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Critter report August 26, 2007 [Re: GlenJohnson]
      #77505 - Sun Aug 26 2007 01:30 PM

There are presently three areas of "disturbed weather" .
The broad low just south of New Orleans, the trough in the SW GOM, and another in the Mid Caribbean.

One of these alone would probably trigger the critters. But three in concert is probably driving them crazy.

On a side note... GFS and Canadian Global models are indicating the warm/ Hot weather the SE US has been having will come to a near abrupt halt on or about September 1st. So that gives the critters another reason to act strange.

jbmusic
Weather Watcher

Loc: Bradenton, Fl
Re: Critter report August 26, 2007 [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #77512 - Mon Aug 27 2007 12:11 AM

Quote:

I am beginning to wonder if the ants that are streaming into my kitchen (RARELY have them there) are an indication of something to come....have sprayed them several times, but they persist.....had 2.8 inches Friday evening!!

I noticed ants this morning too in my car the little sugar ants, I have never had ants in my car but there was a steady stream of them, I spent half an hour looking for food in the car thinking that was what had drawn them there never found any. Never thought they maybe reacting to the weather.

The last 2 days we have had a ton of rain and fast. To the point where it has rained so hard and so fast the ditches have overflowed into the streets, but once the rain stops they go down quickly.

Isn't it amazing how nature whether creatures or weather all work hand in hand

--------------------
Jenny Bradenton, Florida
www.bbdigitalphoto.com

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Loc: SWFL
      #77515 - Mon Aug 27 2007 08:23 AM

Diatamaceous earth. Treat the mounds with that. I did that last year, and for the first YEAR ever, have had NO fire ants return. It's a natural, non-poisonous alternative. Treat when you know it won't wash away with rain right away, circle the mound and on top of it. You can get it at most garden centers. I have found it at Lowe's and Home Depot before.

Quote:

We have fireants building mounds faster than I can treat them. I know they are hunkering down for either rainy weather or cold weather. Either way the weather is active and so are the critters of habit.

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Ned
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: W.Coast Fl.
Re: Critter report August 26, 2007 [Re: GlenJohnson]
      #77517 - Mon Aug 27 2007 08:48 AM

Glen,
Yes,barometric pressure diff. from storms does seem to affect the body.Heres how it was explained to me.If you have a bad joint,say knee,and you put a ace bandage on it,it seems to help it,because pressure is applied to surr.tissue,etc.When you take bandage off,its like drop in pressure from approaching storm,and area starts to hurt from lack of pressure applied.For what its worth.....

Ned
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: W.Coast Fl.
Re: Critter report August 26, 2007 [Re: madmumbler]
      #77518 - Mon Aug 27 2007 08:51 AM

Diam. earth is effective against bugs,its like millions of tiny razor blades which cut the insect,works inside or out,when put in insect travel areas.

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Loc: SWFL
Re: Critter report August 26, 2007 [Re: Ned]
      #77519 - Mon Aug 27 2007 09:22 AM

It's wonderful stuff, isn't it?! I first got it to treat some veggies I was (trying) to grow. I wanted something non-toxic for them. I ran out of fire ant bait for the yard, saw the bag, and thought what the heck.

It worked FASTER and better than the expensive, poisonous ant bait I've been using! And I didn't have to worry about keeping my dogs away from the treated areas for a few days after. I could NOT believe it. But the fire ants have not returned, and usually it's an every year battle, with me not winning, just driving them into submission.

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Critter report August 26, 2007 [Re: madmumbler]
      #77561 - Wed Aug 29 2007 07:23 PM

Glad to hear about the fireant killing stuff. I will check it out. As for the increased insect activity, that is definitely happening. We have some moth looking insects that seem to be hatching and they are not bothersome, but do seem to keep diving into my dog's water dish. I don't have to worry about an insect killing device, because they seem to be efficient all by themselves in getting the numbers lower. I am still holding my breath hoping to make it past next Wednesday on the weather of tropical nature, so that I can get family duties done and try a little vacation later. The critters do have us in heads up mode though.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

GlenJohnson
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Waldo Florida
      #77562 - Wed Aug 29 2007 09:32 PM

Had a good crop of tomatoes going and then Mothra mini's took over. Lost my cucumbers to little worms that burrowed into them. With my broken foot up in the air, not a lot I can do to save the garden. Watch out once it heals.

--------------------
Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none.
Benjamin Franklin
Card carrying Storm Spotter

jcvitte

Loc: Dade City Fl
Re: Critter report August 26, 2007 [Re: jbmusic]
      #77574 - Thu Aug 30 2007 12:26 PM

best thing I have found for sugar ants is made by Terro, called sweet ant bait. Kind of like Kayro syrup, really messy if spilled. You put a small amount in a bottle cap, place near their travel path, leave for a few days, and they disappear. If you spray them, they will come back by another path(and you have to clean up a bunch of dead ants), according to the exterminator who told me about this stuff. Yes, they seem to be an indicator of heavy rain, as well as spiders around my house. I never see spiders (inside) unless we have a period of rain coming. As far as fire ants, the best thing I have found(although poison) is Orthene powder. You don't have to water it in, just sprinkle a teaspoon full on the mound and leave it. They will be gone tommorrow, however they will move to another part of the yard but if we are talking about my yard,they are probably already there. Works much better than the granules you have to water in.

--------------------
and in the end, the love you take
is equal to the love you make

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Colleen A., danielw, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7159

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center