F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 231 (Idalia) , Major: 231 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 231 (Idalia) Major: 231 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Felix Landfall in Nicaragua as a Category 5
      #77909 - Tue Sep 04 2007 07:05 AM

8:10AM Update 4 September 2007
Felix was upgraded to a category 5 hurricane at the 8PM advisory, and now is the second category 5 hurricane to make landfall in less than a month in Central America. This is the first time that two Category 5 hurricanes have made landfall in the same year. Prior to this year the last Category 5 hurricane to make landfall was hurricane Andrew.

Original Update
Felix has kept the more west than north motion throughout the system's life, and is now approaching Nicaragua as a strong Category 4 system.

The location it is making landfall will make it much more than a coastal event, and has the potential for inland damage in the form of floods and mudslides along with wind damage.

More to come later.

98L has lost a lot of punch and seems much less likely to form into anything, in fact, NRL has stopped calling it an "invest" altogether.

The area off of Georgia/Florida is still persisting, but is in no immediate position to form into a depression, but still has the potential to over the next few days as it meanders off our coastline.

Radio
Radio Belize
Love FM - Belize
Power FM - Honduras (Spanish)

Television:
Canal 6 Honduras

Webcams
Coco View Resort, Roatan, Honduras (North Coastline) - Dock Cam - (Flhurricane Recording of this Cam)
Coco View Resort, Roatan, Honduras - Water Cam - (Flhurricane Recording of this Cam)
Utila Lodge Dive Report - Utila, Honduras (Island north of the coast of Honduras) - Dock Cam - (Flhurricane Recording of this Cam)
Radar Loops
Melbourne FL Radar Loop (Latest Static)
Jacksonville FL Radar Loop (Latest Static)
Charleston, SC Radar Loop (Latest Static)
Wimington, NC Radar Loop (Latest Static)
StormCarib Reports from the Caribbean Islands

Caribbean Weather Observations

Barbados Brohav Weather Fax

Full Caribbean Radar Composite

Caribbean Broadcast Corporation (TV/Radio from Antilles)

San Juan, PR NWS Page

Various Caribbean Radio Stations

DR1 Dominican Republic Hurricanes

Felix Event Related Links

float6latest.gif stormplotthumb_6.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2007&storm=6 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Felix
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Felix

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Felix (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Felix (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Felix

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Felix
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on Felix -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

99L (Area off Georgia) Event Related Links

float8latest.gif stormplotthumb_8.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2007&storm=8 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 99L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 99L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 99L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 99L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 99L

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 99L
NRL Info on 99L -- RAMMB Info

98L (East Atlantic Wave) Event Related Links

float7latest.gif stormplotthumb_7.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2007&storm=7 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 98L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 98L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 98L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 98L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 98L

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 98L
NRL Info on 98L -- RAMMB Info

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
weatherguy08
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Miami, Fla.
Re: Felix Approaches Nicaragua [Re: MikeC]
      #77910 - Tue Sep 04 2007 07:07 AM

SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES THAT HURRICANE FELIX HAS CONTINUED TO
STRENGTHEN...AND HAS BECOME A POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY
FIVE HURRICANE WITH MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS OF 160 MPH...260
KM/HR...JUST OFF THE COAST OF NORTHEASTERN NICARAGUA.

Second category five landfall of the year underway!

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Felix Approaches Nicaragua slower [Re: weatherguy08]
      #77911 - Tue Sep 04 2007 07:33 AM

For ever mile forward speed Felix slows down he will do more damage... the slower the worst and as bad as the increase in winds are ...it is a small core and they will be experienced over a small area but for every mile per hour forward speed he slows it will be felt over a much larger area inland.. very bad.

Just saying as much as we watch the windspeed the real damage will come over the greater area from flooding and mudslides and slow forward speed is a more serious problem and I am worried about it's slower forward speed.

and go figure he bends left not right at landfall

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Ronn
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Felix Approaches Nicaragua [Re: MikeC]
      #77912 - Tue Sep 04 2007 07:59 AM

Felix has the potential to produce a catastrophe very similar in impact to Hurricane Mitch. Yesterday's weakening/reorganization phase came at a very bad time because it allowed Felix to regain Cat5 strength prior to landfall. Even though the coastal communities of Nicaragua near the point of landfall will be destroyed, the biggest impact will be when Felix moves over the highlands of Nicaragua and Honduras over the next several days. Deforestation from the proliferation of banana and coffee plantations have denuded hillsides in this region, and flooding and mudslides will be enhanced because of it. This will be another sad hurricane disaster for Central America, and I can only pray that Felix does not slow down further.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
Re: Felix Approaches Nicaragua [Re: Ronn]
      #77914 - Tue Sep 04 2007 08:19 AM Attachment (444 downloads)

First visible satellite in of the storm. Impressive. I've attached the image. It looks like it has made landfall.

vineyardsaker
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: New Smyrna Beach, FL
likely consequences of Felix [Re: Random Chaos]
      #77915 - Tue Sep 04 2007 08:58 AM

Looks like the only city in Nicaragua which will be directly affected is Puerto Cabezas and even this one will be on the left hand side of Felix. In Honduras the closest city would be Puerto Lempira, which should not get CAT5 winds. So maybe this one will not cause too much damage along the coast and will weaken enough by the time it reaches the most populated areas. I suppose that the biggest risk from Felix would be rain in the mountainous areas, right?

Judging from the map I have, there are only two roads into Puerto Cabezas. There is an airport, but it looks small and will probably take a bad beating. So getting help there will be done helicopters (of which Nicaragua has about 50 usable for transporting rescue teams, engineers, supplies). Hopefully, the authorities will be able to heliport equipment and troops to open the airport.

nicaragua

Loc: corn island, nicaragua
Re: likely consequences of Felix [Re: vineyardsaker]
      #77916 - Tue Sep 04 2007 09:42 AM

puerto cabezas is getting pounded now. i have been on the phone about every 15 minutes with a co worker of mine
light poles down, trees down, roofs blowing off, houses being blown apart. the the airport in port has one of the longest runways in nicaragua, and the road into puerto is bad on a good day. also you have thousands of people living within 50 miles north . miskito key, big sandy bay, wawa and several other small villages. there have been several distress calls from this area. cell phone reception is poor and in and out. but i have been able to have contact so far this morning. it is not looking good for this area.

vineyardsaker
Weather Guru

Re: likely consequences of Felix [Re: nicaragua]
      #77917 - Tue Sep 04 2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

puerto cabezas is getting pounded now. i have been on the phone about every 15 minutes with a co worker of mine
light poles down, trees down, roofs blowing off, houses being blown apart. the the airport in port has one of the longest runways in nicaragua, and the road into puerto is bad on a good day. also you have thousands of people living within 50 miles north . miskito key, big sandy bay, wawa and several other small villages. there have been several distress calls from this area. cell phone reception is poor and in and out. but i have been able to have contact so far this morning. it is not looking good for this area.

do you have access to TV and radio? what are the autorities saying about their plans to assist the population there?

--------------------
Charley(eyewall), Ivan, Jeanne, Dennis, Wilma, Irma, Ian (eyewall), Nicole

Jorge Nakazawa

Reged: Tue
Loc: Mexico City, Mexico
      #77918 - Tue Sep 04 2007 10:21 AM

Nicaragua:

May you and your people be safe during this storm.

So far, it seems from the satelite images that the eye of Felix is now completely inland. This will mean that it will start to lose intensity fast. Neverthless, you can expect heavy rains and as others have said, there is the danger of floods and mudslides. By all means, keep safe, and good luck.

Jorge G. Nakazawa

nicaragua

Loc: corn island, nicaragua
      #77919 - Tue Sep 04 2007 10:23 AM

MANAGUA IS SENDING MORE TROOPS INTO THE AREA. THE RADIO IS ASKING EVERYONE TO STAY IN IF THEY CAN. THERE IS STILL ALOT OF THINGS FLYING THROUGH THE AIR. THE WINDS HAVE COME DOWN SOME BUT STILL FAIRLY STRONG. I WILL KNOW MORE IN A WHILE WHEN I CAN CONTACT PUERTO AGAIN.

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Re: Felix Landfall in Nicaragua as a Category 5 [Re: MikeC]
      #77920 - Tue Sep 04 2007 10:33 AM

Two fives in the same year is pretty incredible.

We wish the best for the people in Central America who are having to go through this storm. Our thoughts are with you all.

vineyardsaker
Weather Guru

#77921 - Tue Sep 04 2007 10:43 AM

Quote:

MANAGUA IS SENDING MORE TROOPS INTO THE AREA. THE RADIO IS ASKING EVERYONE TO STAY IN IF THEY CAN. THERE IS STILL ALOT OF THINGS FLYING THROUGH THE AIR. THE WINDS HAVE COME DOWN SOME BUT STILL FAIRLY STRONG. I WILL KNOW MORE IN A WHILE WHEN I CAN CONTACT PUERTO AGAIN.

I just looked up Corn Island and realized that you also got hit (albeit I guess that the eye of Felix must have passed about 200km north of you). How are things on Corn Island? Stay safe & remember that most hurricane casualties occur *after* the hurricane has past!

--------------------
Charley(eyewall), Ivan, Jeanne, Dennis, Wilma, Irma, Ian (eyewall), Nicole

Edited by vineyardsaker (Tue Sep 04 2007 10:45 AM)

flahurricane
Weather Hobbyist

Loc:
      #77931 - Tue Sep 04 2007 07:15 PM

It looks like felix slow down a lot once it made landfall. Strengthened just before landfall and decreased in forward speed. I cannot imagine the damage he's causing.

b.wind
Unregistered

Re: Felix Landfall in Nicaragua as a Category 5 [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #77932 - Tue Sep 04 2007 07:24 PM

What's mind-boggling is two Cat 5 landfalls within the space of two weeks. Never before have we had witnessed two Atlantic basin hurricanes reach Cat 5 within two weeks of each other.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Loc: Maryland
Re: Felix Landfall in Nicaragua as a Category 5 [Re: Unregistered User]
      #77933 - Tue Sep 04 2007 07:45 PM

Also heard on the news tonight that this is also the first time that two hurricanes had landfalls on North America on the same day (Henriette on Baja California).

Looks like it's track is much more south than the models showed. It made that course change just before landfall and has tracked parallel to the border ever since.

Still has fairly good structure, but it hasn't hit the mountains yet.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Felix Landfall in Nicaragua as a Category 5 [Re: Random Chaos]
      #77934 - Tue Sep 04 2007 08:11 PM

I believe that the GFDL kept having it go south, sort of zigzag a bit wsw and west til it got to the Pacific vs the other models that insisted on bending the track to the right and bringing it into the BOC.

Once the GFDL bought into Felix it did rather well with him.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Felix Landfall in Nicaragua as a Category 5 [Re: LoisCane]
      #77936 - Tue Sep 04 2007 08:26 PM

wanted to say thanks to nicaragua for giving us some ground truth reports from a part of the world not many of us are familiar with.
my take on things is fairly straightforward and i don't have much time tonight, but here goes.
felix keeps nudging southwestward as it goes inland and i suspect that some vestige of it will get onto the pacific side, rather than end up near the bay of campeche. unless something named crosses the NHC will probably rename it, but it will be felix either way. i'd say chances are good. bad side of that is, it's slowing down, and i'd expect the extreme rainfall potential especially in el salvador, extreme southeastern mexico, and southern guatemala to be very high.
99L is going to be gabrielle. it might have that tag right now if a plane were to recon it. i was also probably precocious in calling it a threat to the florida to hatteras area. the system has moved far enough east that a return to places like florida and georgia is unlikely, low probability for south carolina.. but of course that perennial favorite of north carolina is quite likely to get a visit. i would not be in the least surprised if gabrielle is there per recon tomorrow, and if it starts intensifying quite quickly late in the week. dependent on how quickly it mixes out the dry air that will plague it, there is a chance of a significant hurricane hitting north carolina up the coast from there later this week.. as the reasonable models are showing. of course this thing can always do the ophelia thing.. never respond to the ridging and just mill around offshore, or come at the coast and then veer away. just the same, there's a pretty good chance the carolinas will take a licking this weekend. stay tuned.
good ol' 98L is still there. it's not generating deep convection and has been lapped by the wave to the rear, but has actually stayed barely coherent and is perhaps finally going to get the push of the trades back. whether it starts trying to go or not, some of the models have the next emerging wave developing faster than it can. something ought to pop up out there in the next few days either way.
HF 0026z05september

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
Re: Felix Landfall in Nicaragua as a Category 5 [Re: MikeC]
      #77937 - Tue Sep 04 2007 08:30 PM

With Henriette apparently tracking up the Sea of Cortez and toward the Mexican state of Sonora, I was wondering if I could get some opinions from the experts here about the prospects for meaningful rainful in Southern Arizona. The annual summer monsoon there should be just about over. But hurricanes, especially Pacific hurricanes, sometimes bring us lots of rain. And I was wondering if even some of the huge bollus of moisture from Felix could somehow get entrained into Henriette or at least whether we can expect Henriette alone to bring us much needed rain--or even enough rain to cause flooding (in the desert, it doesn't take much if you live near a wash). Thoughts? Forecasts?

flahurricane
Weather Hobbyist

Loc:
Re: Felix Landfall in Nicaragua as a Category 5 [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #77941 - Tue Sep 04 2007 10:39 PM

99L is looking a lot more organized tonight. Much more convection thats seems to be sustaining itself to the right of the center. I wonder if the model concensus will start to become more accurate now.

IslandLover
Unregistered

#78157 - Sun Sep 09 2007 03:23 PM

Does anyone know what damage was done to the Corn Islands off the coast of Nicaragua?

(User should have registered and sent this as a PM to the Registered User from Corn Island - see previous posts above.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Tue Sep 11 2007 07:37 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 13039

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center