F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Make or Break for 99L, Worth Watching
      #78016 - Fri Sep 07 2007 06:52 AM

9:00 PM EDT 7 Sep Update
99L didn't quite make it today, but if it persists overnight, maybe even just one good burst of convective activity near the center, it could get going into a storm sometime tomorrow. If dry air wins out then it may not get much activity going tomorrow either. Still about a 45% chance for development tonight.

Recon couldn't find much if any surface winds, so it has a rather uphill battle to form overnight. Hopefully it loses and this system is just a small rain maker.

4:30 PM EDT 7 Sep Update
Recon so far is finding fairly high pressures, higher than a few days ago even, so it looks like this system will not form today.

3PM EDT 7 Sep Update
Recon is in the Atlantic now, heading toward 99L, hopefully we'll have some data from then in an hour or so.

There is convection firing along the north and northwest sides of the low now, dry air is retreating to the west. The west (although starting to gain some convection now), southwest, and south sides still are void of convection, but that may change soon.

Original Update
For those watching the disturbance of our Southeastern US coastline, the low level circulation managed to survive
yesterday and the slow progression westward has started. It's currently still being sheared, but conditions may improve today. Therefore those along the southeast should be watching the progression of it.

Recon is tentatively scheduled to head out to the system this afternoon to check out the system.

Thinking hasn't changed much from yesterday, meaning that the system still has a lot to fight to keep going, and it will continue westward for a bit then back out into the Atlantic later. Odds are still that it won't make landfall or amount to much, but still there is a chance it will. Slow moving systems, sheared systems, do a lot tot complicated things. So it remains worth watching at least. Conditions for it to develop are still nowhere near ideal, and dry air and shear will remain an issue for development, but they are much better than the past two days.

Some models hook it back anywhere from out to sea to South Carolina, but most do not do well with systems of this nature, so it's difficult to take them at face value right now. The best guess right now is that the storm comes very close to the Carolinas but does not make landfall, and most of the rain would be offshore.

Have a guess or "feeling" where 99l will go or how strong it will be, let us know here

Chances for development have gone slightly up since yesterday, but today really will be a good indicator of what may happen.

Chances for Tropical Development of Disturbance off Southeast Coast (99L) In Next 2 days
Code:

(forget it) 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (sure thing)
[--------*-----------]

Outside of 99L, not too much, a disturbance in the Gulf west of Florida may be worth watching. Look and watch if this one persists through the day.

Added: Also, a large but disorganized tropical wave moved off the coast of West Africa yesterday evening (near 13N 24W at 07/12Z). Easterly shear in that region has subsided over the last couple of days, so this one could be something to keep an eye on.
ED

Radar Loops
Melbourne FL Radar Loop (Latest Static)
Jacksonville FL Radar Loop (Latest Static)
Charleston, SC Radar Loop (Latest Static)
Wimington, NC Radar Loop (Latest Static)

99L (Area off Georgia/Florida) Event Related Links

float7latest.gif stormplotthumb_7.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2007&storm=7 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 99L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 99L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 99L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 99L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 99L

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 99L
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on 99L -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Make or Break for 99L [Re: MikeC]
      #78017 - Fri Sep 07 2007 08:52 AM

99L is one of those systems you just need to watch, so much states it may not amount to much, but an equal amount of indicators have it going the other way too. It is one of those "watch and be prepared" scenarios. Close enough to home for genuine concern.

Accuweather is rather bullish on developing the system (I know Jack Boston there was even mentioning Gabrielle already), we're being pretty conservative here. The National Hurricane Center released a special update to bring more attention to the system as well. It deserves it, it's about a 50/50 split if it will amount to much. The Carolinas need to watch this one the most.

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc:
      #78019 - Fri Sep 07 2007 09:25 AM

Looks like some wrapping occurring the the more western blob of convection. If the two convection areas come together, it looks like there will be a fairly large storm in terms of area.

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
      #78020 - Fri Sep 07 2007 09:26 AM

99L has proven very interesting. Hoewever, Accuweather would call a "sun shower" the next hurricane if it was within 1000 miles of the east coast or gulf.

jbmusic
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Bradenton, Fl
Re: Make or Break for 99L [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #78022 - Fri Sep 07 2007 09:36 AM

Quote:

99L has proven very interesting. Hoewever, Accuweather would call a "sun shower" the next hurricane if it was within 1000 miles of the east coast or gulf.

Accuweather was saying last night we will have something develop in the next couple of days in the gulf. That shocked me I had not heard anyone make any kind of mention to that. Sometimes I feel like they go to the opposite extreme from the NHC

--------------------
Jenny Bradenton, Florida
www.bbdigitalphoto.com

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Loc:
Re: Make or Break for 99L, Worth Watching [Re: MikeC]
      #78023 - Fri Sep 07 2007 09:51 AM

I'm reposting this link from the other day. It gives a great view of the developing storm:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t3/loop-rgb.html

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

cieldumort

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx
      #78025 - Fri Sep 07 2007 10:36 AM

It's just about a done deal, IMHO. 99L has freed itself from the clutches of dry air as the shear began to relax. In the hours and probably days ahead, shear will likely only continue to relax more, overall.. especially as, if as now seemingly much more probable, 99 starts to build high pressure aloft.

With the environment surrounding 99 starting to moisten up in response to the diminished shear making for better internals, and a fairly tight little vortex already in place within a reasonably large broader cyclonic envelope, it seems highly probable to me that recon will find a storm there by later today. Recall that sustained winds are already running, perhaps conservatively running, 30 knots.

Whether this is yet a fully tropical entity, or becomes a fully tropical entity in the short-run is somewhat inconsequential at the moment. In fact, if 99s subtropical characteristics should win out, and as models are trending to forecast more of a sideswipe than a direct hit to the Carolinas/Mid-Atlantic, the cyclone will tend to work in tandem with the building ridge to its north to result in some of the strongest winds funneling down from the northeast well away from the center of circulation - such as might be far more typical of a subtropical storm or extratropical gale. Nonetheless, a core of strong winds already exists in the center, and as time begins working for rather than against 99, this thing may become fully tropical - with the kicker of a nor'easter-like element along its northern and western extent.

Accuweather might not be that far off the rocker with regard to something developing in the GOM. There does appear to be a general surface weakness there, and in the western Caribbean, left by the remnants of former Category 5 Felix. Just last night an impressive mesolow formed in the Bay of Campeche and quickly ramped up quite an impressive cluster of deep thunderstorms about and near its center. Upper level winds being rather favorable as well, water temps still very conducive, etc. .. IMHO, they are not at all out to lunch. Area is ripe.

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged: Wed
Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #78026 - Fri Sep 07 2007 11:23 AM

Looking at the latest visible satellite images, it looks as if the LLC has tucked itself under the main blob of convection. They have been holding on to this being a 970mb hurricane during landfall at Accuweather and I think the reasoning is quite sound. There is dramatic improvement over yesterday. The LLC survived conditions that could not have been harsher (minus low water temps). Ship reports have also seen substantial winds with this system today. It will be interesting to see what recon finds there

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Edited by WeatherNut (Fri Sep 07 2007 11:24 AM)

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
      #78027 - Fri Sep 07 2007 11:28 AM

When is recon heading out to 99L? Also, the system in the Gulf west of Florida. Will it continue to move slowly west? Also, aren't upper
level winds not favorable at this time for development?

punkyg
Weather Watcher

Loc: sanford, florida
Re: Make or Break for 99L, Worth Watching [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #78028 - Fri Sep 07 2007 11:39 AM

Quote:

When is recon heading out to 99L? Also, the system in the Gulf west of Florida. Will it continue to move slowly west? Also, aren't upper
level winds not favorable at this time for development?

I don't think the mess in the gulf will develop
and i think recon is going out this afternoon.

Edited by punkyg (Fri Sep 07 2007 11:40 AM)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
Re: Make or Break for 99L, Worth Watching [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #78029 - Fri Sep 07 2007 11:40 AM

looking better
also seems to have stopped moving east and slowed, can see where it would.. could move west

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t3/loop-rgb.html

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

ElizabethH
Meteorologist

Reged: Mon
Loc: Bay County
Re: Make or Break for 99L, Worth Watching [Re: LoisCane]
      #78030 - Fri Sep 07 2007 12:04 PM

99L looks healthier as the day goes on. Convection starting to wrap on the northern sides ot the LLC. I think we could have our next TD by 4 cdt this afternoon. I do see some movement towards the west, so it'll stay tropical for a few days; I don't think we are looking at a subtropical system.

Models are persistant on developing 99L and have been for the past 3 or so days. If Recon finds decent winds speeds, looks like we'll have a Tropical system to track this weekend!

allan
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
      #78032 - Fri Sep 07 2007 12:44 PM

Looks like 99L is going to make it, although models are struggeling on intensity, I do believe it will be a another suprising storm like most of them this year thus far. The convection looks good, the outflow is great, I'd say this is close or even at TD strength, of course we got to wait for the official call on that, 99L has gotten much better in form and convection as I predicted yesterday.

--------------------
Allan Reed - 18,9,5

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Make or Break for 99L, Worth Watching [Re: allan]
      #78033 - Fri Sep 07 2007 01:36 PM

I've left the steering current graphic animation recording run since Felix, it may give some insight to where 99l may go. Here it is

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Recon [Re: MikeC]
      #78034 - Fri Sep 07 2007 01:50 PM

Recon is airborne and enroute at this time.
Tasking is for a 2100Z center fix or 5PM EDT/ 4PM CDT.

edit: At 24000ft recon encountered a wind shift.
From SW at 12 mph to E at 10 mph. 133 degree shift.

This was from 25 SSW of Valdosta,Ga to 50 ESE of Valdosta,GA.

Edited by danielw (Fri Sep 07 2007 02:01 PM)

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Loc: Port Orange, FL
      #78035 - Fri Sep 07 2007 01:53 PM

Been watching those steering currents all day along with model runs, water vapor images and some more info. I have been thinking this isnt going as far north as the models were predicting. Modeling with a weak system is very tricky. I see more of a western movement then slightly more wnw and then after landfall more nw, n and then ne. I dont think it is gonna landfall much north of the GA- SC border. IMHO

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

tartan372
Unregistered

Re: Recon [Re: danielw]
      #78036 - Fri Sep 07 2007 02:54 PM

What due you make of the East wind at that flight level so close to the coast?

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Make or Break for 99L, Worth Watching [Re: NewWatcher]
      #78037 - Fri Sep 07 2007 02:54 PM

Recon is in the Atlantic now, heading toward 99L, hopefully we'll have some data from then in an hour or so.

There is convection firing along the north and northwest sides of the low now, dry air is retreating to the west. The west (although starting to gain some convection now), southwest, and south sides still are void of convection, but that may change soon.

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: cocoa beach
      #78038 - Fri Sep 07 2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

I've left the steering current graphic animation recording run since Felix, it may give some insight to where 99l may go. Here it is

Comparing where Felix went and what I am seeing on teh current steering map. I would say that this 'feature' has a very good chance of heaidng a bit more west than what models are predicting

TampaBayHurricaneChaser

Re: Make or Break for 99L, Worth Watching [Re: troy2]
      #78040 - Fri Sep 07 2007 03:24 PM

99L is looking a lot better today, and I think that recon
may find a tropical depression. This is based on the system
being nonfrontal as the front has dissapated, so we should
see a warmer core. This system may threaten north carolina.

A greater concern for Florida and the Gulf of Mexico
might be the area of convection currently off florida's west
coast and in the eastern gulf of mexico. This area is associated
with a vigorous tropical wave that is migrating across
the gulf. I am not familiar with the current shear profiles
over the southern gulf, but I would expect perhaps
a niche to form between a sheared trough to the north and
shear to the west. Now if shear does lessen, I would expect
the potential for rapid development and intensification.
Convection is already concentrated and the system
looks fairly organized. Though a tropical wave, it bears
very close watching by all interests in Florida and along the
Gulf Coast. If shear lessens a tropical storm is possible

What opinions do others have regarding the status of the gulf of
mexico tropical wave?.

Edited by TampaBayHurricaneChaser (Fri Sep 07 2007 03:27 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 16073

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center