F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Tropical Storm Gabrielle heads for North Carolina
      #78056 - Fri Sep 07 2007 10:50 PM

12:20PM EDT 9 September Update
Gabrielle has made landfall near Cape Lookout National Seashore around 11;45AM.

The wave northeast of the Caribbean is now being tracked as 92L being discussed here.. 1 Storm, 3 invests being tracked now.

The most immediate concern, outside of Gabrielle, is 90L in the Gulf, but it doesn't look like it'll develop much. 92L initial model runs suggest it is something that we in Florida and the southeast may have to watch later in the week.

9:38AM EDT 9 September Update
We're recording Mark Sudduth's (Hurricane Track.com) webcam tower on Hatteras along with the Morehead city radar.
You can see these At this link.

Also the Central Atlantiic (Discuss Here) and Gulf disturbance (being talked about Here) are being tracked as 91L, and 90L respectively.

Early 9 September Update
Late in the afternoon on Saturday (Sept. 8), Gabrielle was judged to have acquired tropical characteristics and was re-classified as a tropical storm. It should make landfall along the east coast of North Carolina sometime during the day on Sunday, heading north and northeast from there. Briefly gusty winds and 1-3" rain totals look to be the biggest meteorological effects from the poorly-organized tropical system; beach erosion looks to be the largest overall effect.

The disturbance in the Gulf of Mexico was designated as 90L late on Saturday. It is currently very disorganized and is no imminent threat for development. We'll watch it for now, along with a couple of tropical waves/lows in the central Atlantic. If you'd like to discuss any of these features for now, please check the Storm Forum and/or the Forecast Lounge.

8 September Update
Gabrielle remains a Subtropical Storm with 45MPH winds and a pressure of 1011 mb, there are some signs that Gabrielle may make the transition to a fully tropical storm later today or tonight.

The system is still rather disorganized as a whole, which should keep strengthening to a minimum, but it is forecast to become a stronger Tropical Storm by the time it nears the Carolina Coastline. Although it has some rain on the northern periphery, this is not a rain heavy system, a lot of dry air has gotten into Gabrielle. So it won't be much of a drought buster for the Carolina's unfortunately.

It is forecast to clip or barely miss the Carolina coastline then head northeast,

Original Update
Gabrielle forms as a subtropical Storm.

The system southeast of the Carolinas has formed into a Subtropical storm. It was borderline most of the night as is. Meaning warm core at lower levels and cold core at higher levels, a hybrid system, not purely tropical.

Gabrielle formed from an old frontal boundary that developed a low level circulation, meandered around for days, getting sheared and kept from forming a purely tropical system.

Tropical Storm watches are up from South Carolina Northward into parts of North Carolina. Gabrielle is forecast to near the coast of the Carolinas. Subtropical storms tend to have larger wind fields than tropical storms.

Radar Loops
Morehead City, NC Radar Loop (Latest Static)
Wimington, NC Radar Loop (Latest Static)
StormCarib Reports from the Caribbean Islands

Caribbean Weather Observations

Barbados Brohav Weather Fax

Full Caribbean Radar Composite

Caribbean Broadcast Corporation (TV/Radio from Antilles)

San Juan, PR NWS Page

Various Caribbean Radio Stations

DR1 Dominican Republic Hurricanes

Gabrielle Event Related Links

float7latest.gif stormplotthumb_7.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2007&storm=7 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Gabrielle
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Gabrielle

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Gabrielle (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Gabrielle (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Gabrielle

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Gabrielle
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on Gabrielle -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

90L (Near Florida) Event Related Links

float8latest.gif stormplotthumb_8.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2007&storm=8 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 90L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 90L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 90L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 90L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 90L

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 90L
NRL Info on 90L -- RAMMB Info

91L (Central Atlantic) Event Related Links

float9latest.gif stormplotthumb_9.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2007&storm=9 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 91L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 91L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 91L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 91L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 91L

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 91L
NRL Info on 91L -- RAMMB Info

92L (Northeast of Caribbean) Event Related Links

float10latest.gif stormplotthumb_10.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2007&storm=10 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 92L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 92L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 92L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 92L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 92L

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 92L
NRL Info on 92L -- RAMMB Info

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Re: Subtropical Storm Gabrielle Forms Southeast of the Carolinas [Re: MikeC]
      #78058 - Fri Sep 07 2007 10:57 PM

Subtropical declaration is quite fitting for this feature considering my own concerns recently posted in the 99L thread in the Storm Forum. It's interactions with the TUTT have led directly to its evolution in this regard, with additional aspect being a tremendous feed of dry air.

The question now becomes, will it complete phase transition and become purely tropical? Timing landfall will be critical in determing that... If it moves quickly toward the Coast and comes onboard than naturally it will only transition into a non-entity. If moves slower than modeled and remains seaward for long period of time, than it will be sitting over some of the hottest waters (Gulf Stream) in the Atlantic Basin and a transition will likely occur.

Edited by typhoon_tip (Fri Sep 07 2007 10:58 PM)

punkyg
Weather Watcher

Loc: sanford, florida
      #78059 - Fri Sep 07 2007 11:00 PM

Now that Subtropical gabrielle has formed and we now think we know where its going. we can all talk about how strong it will get and if it can become fully tropical.

I say this storm will make it up to 55mph before landfall
and i think it will stay subtropical.
And i think the track might be bumped up higher.

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
take, etc. [Re: punkyg]
      #78060 - Sat Sep 08 2007 01:14 AM

it'll probably be a tropical storm sometime tomorrow. at some point in its life cycle it ought to become a hurricane. the north carolina track looks good as typically everything threatening the eastern seaboard aims for north carolina. much can't be said for it aside from that, as the upper low that dived on it was not well predicted by the models, and that prevented it from getting organized mid-week. it still came to be anyhow, since the synoptic forcing nearby outweighed smaller-scale negative factors.
that little blip in the gulf has some of the less reliable models biting. all it takes is a good mcc to get something that can actually start rolling to appear. whether it organizes or not, more rain for texas. sure they're looking forward to that.
no invest on it, but the wave that's nearing the cape verdes has a lot going for it in terms of development chances. most all of the models recurve it early with casual disregard. sooner it develops, better the chances.. there's a significant weakness between newfoundland and the azores.
we're almost to the season midpoint and on storm seven now. la nina years usually stay active late, but things are really trailing (and global scale factors don't seem ready to fall into place) for this season to end as hyper-active. it looks like above normal numbers but not extreme in terms of raw count, but those two category fives really spiked the monthly ntc/ace index numbers. on dean and felix alone we ought to have most of a full season's worth of activity.
speaking of felix, the death toll in coastal nicaragua is significant. there weren't a whole heck of a lot of people living where it made landfall, but it looks like it got a lot of them.
HF 0514z08september

scottsvb
Weather Master

Loc: fl
Re: take, etc. [Re: HanKFranK]
      #78061 - Sat Sep 08 2007 02:10 AM

Im surprised they made this a Subtropical storm. I mean sooo the winds between the high and weak low are near 40mph and 45 is gracious..but this is a weak 1011mb low with winds generally around 25mph. I say it will get alittle better organized but if it gets over 50mph...it will be a surprise. Shear from the unseen shortwave trough and dry air really done in this low.

flahurricane
Weather Hobbyist

Loc:
Re: take, etc. [Re: scottsvb]
      #78062 - Sat Sep 08 2007 02:42 AM

On the latest IR images of SubTS Gabrielle it looks like the center of circulation is located at 30N 75W and moving very slowly westward. A lot of the thunderstorm activity has dissapated tonight and any that still exists is to the very north and east of the center. At 2am NHC estimated the center to be at 30.5N 72.5W. Now that the center is more visible on satellite images I will be interesting to see if convection increases tonight and whether or not Gabrielle becomes a true tropical storm.

dem05
User

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL
Re: take, etc. [Re: flahurricane]
      #78063 - Sat Sep 08 2007 06:34 AM

Interesting to see that Gabrielle was able to pull itoff development wise. I really can't see anything to add Gabrielle wise.

There's been mention in several postson this thread...as well as the previousone on a possiblesystem developing in the GOMex. This might be feasable. If development starts to take shape...that may happen north of the western tipof Cuba and/or west of the Dry Tortugas in the FL Keys. The overall streering currents show a ridge over the Houston area at this time. This would likely block any westerly motion for the time being...and with few other places to go...I would suspect that any disturbed weather of a tropical nature will basically meander around the SE Gulf for the next 2 days. Something to watch...but at this time...the models aren't all that excited about developing something just yet.

Steering Layer (700-850mb levels): http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/atlantic/winds/wg8dlm1.html
Steering Layer (500-850mb levels): http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/atlantic/winds/wg8dlm2.html

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc:
Re: take, etc. [Re: dem05]
      #78064 - Sat Sep 08 2007 10:16 AM

Looks like it's getting a little better organized, with some convection over the center of circulation:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t3/loop-rgb.html

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

MM

Reged: Sat
      #78065 - Sat Sep 08 2007 10:56 AM

Hi all from a newcomer... ;-)

Just wanted to ask the gurus here, what they think about a wave about 10N 33W SW of Capverde Islands. If memory serves me right, that's about the birthplace of "Dean".
Also 5N 33W looks interesting. I'm looking at that corner for a while now...

Just interested about your crystal glass...

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Loc: Plant City, Florida
Re: Subtropical Storm Gabrielle Forms Southeast of the Carolinas [Re: MM]
      #78067 - Sat Sep 08 2007 11:53 AM

I have a question.....looking at the following Water Vapor loop, there looks to be a small low pressure-type swirl that has broken off from the Gabrielle system and is moving west toward the Daytona Beach area. Can anyone clue me in as to what this is about? Is it a residual from Gabrielle, or something else popping up.

Florida Water Vapor Loop 14:45Z

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2023 Season Prediction: 17/6/2

scottsvb
Weather Master

Loc: fl
Re: Subtropical Storm Gabrielle Forms Southeast of the Carolinas [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #78068 - Sat Sep 08 2007 12:26 PM

This storm is on forecast over the last week. Its been straight up with the rest of the season. Only thing was the shear that wasnt forecasted although I did notice the shortwave and said it probably wont get to hurricane strength..but then again..I went against the ships intensity forecasts. Anyways a path near the Outerbanks and then NNE-NE into the N Atlantic. Some TS force winds can be expected over the outerbanks..but inland expect just some breezy conditions in a feeder band.

weather999
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: southwestern ontario, canada
Re: take, etc. [Re: HanKFranK]
      #78069 - Sat Sep 08 2007 01:49 PM

Question here:

If a Subtropical Storm managed to have winds of hurricane force or stronger, would it become a Subtropical Hurricane, or stay as a Subtropical Storm, but with hurricane (red font on NHC) status? Is it even feasible to say that a Subtropical System in the Atlantic could reach hurricane strength... and can/do SubTSes form in the E. Pac? Thanks.

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: take, etc. [Re: weather999]
      #78070 - Sat Sep 08 2007 02:13 PM

Other than a minor wind event for the outer banks area of North Carolina, I don't see "extratropical Gabriel" as anything to pay attention to.

What baffles me is why did the NHC use up a name on this storm? Has it been done before? I just don't recall an extr-tropical whatever being named previously.

A good tropical depression then should get a name in the future if we go by this thinking.

I continue to be a happy camper that the season for CONUS remains free from threats.

Life is good.

weather_wise911
Weather Hobbyist

Re: take, etc. [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #78072 - Sat Sep 08 2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

Other than a minor wind event for the outer banks area of North Carolina, I don't see "extratropical Gabriel" as anything to pay attention to.

What baffles me is why did the NHC use up a name on this storm? Has it been done before? I just don't recall an extr-tropical whatever being named previously.

It's Subtropical... not extratropical.........

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx
      #78073 - Sat Sep 08 2007 02:56 PM

Looks like there have been some good questions posted on this thread that arguably relate to the topic of Gabrielle.

A lot of confusion exists, even among mets, as to the nature of sub-tropical cyclones, and debate has existed to greater or lesser degrees for decades as to whether or not to include them in the historical count, and later, whether to go ahead and draw down names from the seasonal list and apply such a formal tracking status to them.

To cover three queries - with brief answers, in the interest of my own time, and in not cluttering up the main thread:

--The cyclonic cloud motion some are talking about that is "seemingly breaking off from" Gabrielle and heading SW on route to Florida is the upper level low (TUTT low) mentioned in previous threads, and in Typhoon Tip's earlier Invest 99 thread (See main page).

--Many subtropical cyclones do go on to become fully tropical.. and go on to become hurricanes. Rarely, if ever, does a subtropical storm strengthen to even minimal hurricane-force sustained winds without having transitioned into a more purely or purely tropical cyclone. Hence, you are unlikely to ever see an official "Subtropical Hurricane (Name here)".

Subtropical cyclones do form in many basins, and at many latitudes, but as the moniker explicitly suggests, they most often form in the .. subtropics.

--Please note that Subtropical Storm Gabrielle is a Subtropical Cyclone and not an extra-tropical gale. There are very valid, technical reasons for this, and the highly-educated and skilled experts at NHC have not just somehow arbitrarily decided to draw down a name for the sake of whatever, and applied it to this system.

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Loc: SWFL
Re: Subtropical Storm Gabrielle Forms Southeast of the Carolinas [Re: cieldumort]
      #78075 - Sat Sep 08 2007 05:41 PM

Looks like the NHC has decided to reclassify Gabby as a tropical storm based upon their findings.

How exactly do they tell this? Is it based upon reading from the dropsondes or the fly-throughs or satellite or what?

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

JY381
Unregistered

#78076 - Sat Sep 08 2007 06:56 PM

Gabby is exploding with convection right now, and the low-level center of circulation has finally dug under the convection...

allan
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
Re: Subtropical Storm Gabrielle Forms Southeast of the Carolinas [Re: Unregistered User]
      #78077 - Sat Sep 08 2007 07:38 PM

Ya know, for a weak storm at durinal minimum, this storm is not doing too bad. I see this becoming at least a 70 mph. storm at landfall due to durinal minimum. Yes, the center in right in the southeast convection. A few more storms in that area would already make it 50 mph. at best. This is going to be one interesting night. What's also interesting is that storms that move out to sea from the Carolinas strengthens, Alex (2004) and Gustav (2002). Hurricane Gustav as I've been mentioning throught this whole storm is the twin to Gabrielle. Check out the track
http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/at20027.asp

I guess I do see how this "could" become a minimal Hurricane due to the recent blow up and durinal max later on tonight, but chances are very low. Don;t be surprised though.. remember Wilma?

--------------------
Allan Reed - 18,9,5

Beach
Weather Guru

Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Re: Subtropical Storm Gabrielle Forms Southeast of the Carolinas [Re: allan]
      #78078 - Sat Sep 08 2007 10:24 PM

Is the storm jogging to the West?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t3/loop-wv.html

What I perceive as the center seems to be moving along 33N

Seaworthy991
Unregistered

Re: Subtropical Storm Gabrielle Forms Southeast of the Carolinas [Re: Beach]
      #78080 - Sat Sep 08 2007 10:33 PM

How about the hurricane of 1938 that devastated Providence RI and the SE Coast of Massachusetts?
Wasn't it a small storm that explode in the vicinity of delmarva or further north?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 17759

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center