F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Pages: 1
HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
March 15 Tornado Outbreak
      #79718 - Sun Mar 16 2008 11:32 PM

It's a strictly Georgia-Carolina thing, but we had one of those rare days where a big mess of supercell thunderstorms put tornadoes down all over the area. The storm prediction center put my region in a high risk category yesterday, and the storms came on like crazy during the late afternoon hours. I'm sort of amazed that nobody died in our region, with all the tornado reports and long-lived supercells. One of the early birds up in northwest Georgia claimed a couple, but the most extensive part of the outbreak in eastern Georgia and much of South Carolina somehow spared everyone else. It's not like they all missed populated areas, but mostly did. Towns like Wrens, GA, and Branchville, SC make notable exceptions.
The supercell that hit my immediate area tracked in up near Clark's Hill Lake and put down a tornado in North Augusta... presumably the same one that went through "the Valley", our cluster of mostly low-income former mill towns. Besides wrecking utilities and some residential damage, there aren't reports of any large-scale catastrophic damage. I could hear a persistent rumbling out during the storm, which didn't sound like familiar thunder, but don't know if it was a tornado or not. Same supercell traced US 78 down to the coast... reports of damage and tornado sightings the whole way down to the low county.
We've had a rougher-than-normal late winter/early spring storm season... looks like more on the way.
Another round comes in on Wednesday, after roughing up points west. The predominant storm track looks to bring in more of those systems that cause destructive thunderstorms in the southeast, and the rest of March should follow the trend.
On the other hand, a great majority of the 69 tornado deaths this season came during the massive outbreak on February 5th. For all the fireworks here the other day, our fortunes don't even compare.
HF 0032z17march

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cieldumort

Reged:
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: March 15 Tornado Outbreak [Re: HanKFranK]
      #79720 - Mon Mar 17 2008 08:11 AM

The situations surrounding the prior night's tornadic supercell that tracked through downtown Atlanta simply amazingly spared thousands from potential injuries. I can't imagine what we would be reading about had the Mississippi State vs. University of Alabama game at the Georgia Dome not gone into OT.

It's our turn today into Tuesday here in central Texas. SPC already has a pretty strong Day 1 up - wouldn't take much for them to bump the existing Slight Risk to a Mod around here. Considering a more linear mode developing eventually, by far most of the reports should be of wind and hail; however, we do tend to get some potent misocyclones embedded within QLCSs around here.

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
update [Re: cieldumort]
      #79725 - Thu Mar 20 2008 01:58 AM

By virtue of my job I've gotten a better look at some of the damage... will probably map some of it. I'm more amazed than ever that nobody died. The one that got our area was an F2 and traveled right through a fairly populated area, with lots of trailers and small, elderly frame houses. Not even an injury. I believe the local tally was 81 homes with substantial damage, 16 made unlivable or destroyed. The water tower in Bath being blown down has made for boiling restrictions, but it appears that most areas have utilities back up.
From what I hear, Branchville SC may have taken the most fearsome hit. The tornado was an F3 when it passed through, and much of the small downtown is torn to shreds.
I didn't know the details about the game being in OT in Atlanta. That most likely saved some lives.
Storm coming through on Monday the 24th has an interesting look. The temps in this area keep trending down, with the forecast models converging on a much colder storm. Might be winter precip in the Piedmont over to the Mid-Atlantic.. but I'm too jaded with impotent winter storms to be willing to bite into this one just yet.
HF 0258z20march

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: March 15 Tornado Outbreak [Re: HanKFranK]
      #79904 - Thu May 29 2008 03:34 AM

A friend and I chased the outbreak in GA on March 15th...made it up to the I-20 corridor and followed a few tornado-warned cells but never did see anything produce in that regard. By the time we got up there, the greater tornado threat had shifted into SC anyway. Tons of directional shear with the zonal mid-tropospheric flow plus ample instability for March led to some very healthy updrafts, though, leading to a ton of hail. We stopped for about 30-45 minutes in Hillsboro, GA playing around in 1-2" deep hail and hail fog. All in all, well worth the trip -- often severe weather in this region isn't such prolific with regards to hail.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5443

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center