F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Plant City, Florida
SSTs revisited
      #79749 - Wed Apr 02 2008 12:15 PM

We DID have a bit of an anomolous day here in West Central Fla yesterday. Almost a summer-type pattern of late afternoon T-Storms, some containing hail and some VERY heavy rains for March. I picked up 4 inches in the rain guage in Plant City, my folks also got 4 in along the south end of Lake Pierce near Lake Wales. This is very odd weather for the first week of April when we are usually in a very dry pattern with little lower level moisture in place. We have really had much more rain and more rain events in the past 2 months than in the past several years. Don't know what it means to hurricanes, but everything in weather connects to something else and I imagine that warmer GOM waters would contribute to low level moisture flow across our area. I know this probably doesn't belong in this thread, but there IS an aspect of discussing the out of the ordinary here. It was just a VERY unusual day for April 1 (fooled ME).

(Post and replies moved to a more appropriate Forum)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Wed Apr 02 2008 07:10 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: SSTs revisited [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #79750 - Wed Apr 02 2008 12:32 PM

Yes that was a very atypical day...looks like some cool dry air filterd in over the top of warm moist air at the surface and we had some instability...which seems to be east of the peninsula today...looking out side today also has that summery look and feel to it...more of the same?

--------------------
doug

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

#79751 - Wed Apr 02 2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Yes that was a very atypical day...looks like some cool dry air filterd in over the top of warm moist air at the surface and we had some instability...which seems to be east of the peninsula today...looking out side today also has that summery look and feel to it...more of the same?

SIMILAR TO YESTERDAY 12Z RAOB DATA SHOWS A VERY UNSTABLE AIR MASS (LI ~-9C)
AND RATHER COLD TEMPERATURES (-13.3C AT 500MB) ALOFT. WEAKER WINDS VIA
RAOB DATA SHOULD ALLOW FOR A FASTER ONSET TO THE EAST/WEST COAST SEA
BREEZES WITH DAYTIME HEATING AND SEA/OUTFLOW BOUNDARY COLLISIONS PROVIDING
FOCUS FOR SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS DURING THE AFTERNOON AND
EARLY EVENING HOURS. SIMILAR TO YESTERDAY SOME OF THE THUNDERSTORMS
COULD BECOME STRONG WITH DAMAGING DOWNBURST WINDS AND HAIL A POSSIBILITY
GIVEN THE COLD TEMPERATURES ALOFT AND RATHER STEEP LAPSE RATES. IN
ADDITION A WEAK STEERING FLOW WILL SUPPORT SLOW MOVING STORMS...SO SOME
LOCALLY HEAVY RAINS WILL BE POSSIBLE.

The local forcast discussion would lead one to believe we get a second round today, however, in my experience the 'next' day after an unusual event (and one not adequately forcast) is usually not nearly the same. Too hard to get the 'exact' same atmospheric conditions from one day to the next. They WILL tend to forcast the same, just to cover themselves, though. This gets me wondering about the season to come as odd weather is usually NOT isolated for a season....no solid proof of it, but it SEEMS that way.

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2023 Season Prediction: 17/6/2

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
      #79753 - Thu Apr 03 2008 11:52 AM

Well it wasn't like Tuesday...it was worse...much more rain and wind...I work in Ft. Myers and stay there during the week. A Cell went through around 4:30 which had a lot of down draft and a healthy wall cloud. & heavy rain Two hours later in Parrish the same thing happenned there very heavy (2+in/Hr.) rains and high winds.
More today..

--------------------
doug

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Re: SSTs revisited [Re: doug]
      #79754 - Thu Apr 03 2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Well it wasn't like Tuesday...it was worse...much more rain and wind...I work in Ft. Myers and stay there during the week. A Cell went through around 4:30 which had a lot of down draft and a healthy wall cloud. & heavy rain Two hours later in Parrish the same thing happenned there very heavy (2+in/Hr.) rains and high winds.
More today..

And at my end, my prediction came true. We had NO rain yesterday and none really even threatened as it all stay south and SW of us. Today had a cell brush by us...kind of skipped over as they developed. Add 6-8 degrees and is was SOOOO like a mid July day. Can't remember when we have had 3 such days in early April. Warm weather like this will kick those SSTs up rapidly from here on out.

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2023 Season Prediction: 17/6/2

jeetkunedo
Unregistered

#79767 - Tue Apr 08 2008 02:13 AM

hey lamar in Plant city,

Yeah I just wanted to say that I noticed the rain also, and that it lasted for a few days. And yes it did seem very unusual..

By the way im in Plant City also, and a weather nutt...hahaha

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5377

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center