F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 229 (Idalia) , Major: 229 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 229 (Idalia) Major: 229 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane History

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
SoFlaDa

Reged: Thu
Historical Statistics Needed
      #78847 - Sat Sep 22 2007 10:06 PM

Can anyone help out with how long it has taken the longest/worst hurricane to cross the southern Florida peninsula? As a point of reference, I know that Wilma took at least 36 hours to clear Cozumel/Cancun/Yucatan and Luis took about the same time to move across St. Barth and St. Maarten. But I am not aware of any source of info on the longest time it has taken a hurricane to cross South Florida. Also, the dearth of serious hurricanes crossing the peninsula (except for 2004 and 2005) means most of us haven't lived through a slow moving storm.

Appreciate any thoughts anyone can provide.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Historical Statistics Needed [Re: SoFlaDa]
      #78849 - Sat Sep 22 2007 11:11 PM

Thats a pretty tall order that would take considerable research to develop the answer - however, here is a link that can get you started:

UNISYS Hurricane Page

The NHC archives may also be of some help in your quest.
ED

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Historical Statistics Needed [Re: SoFlaDa]
      #80025 - Mon Jun 02 2008 01:19 PM

Well most of the older people I've talked to about hurricane history, including my parents, say that Hurricane Donna back in 1960 was the worst one that they've lived through. My grandparents talked about bad storms moving through in the 1940's, but those storms, including Donna in 1960, haven't seemed to linger around for more than a day or 1 and 1/4th days, according to the Unisys site.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Historical Statistics Needed [Re: JoshuaK]
      #80039 - Tue Jun 03 2008 01:35 PM

Donna was a massive storm and affected nearly the entire peninsula. I lived north of Dade City and I remember we were up throughout the night mopping up rainwater that blew in under our doors and through the jallosy "windows." That was quite a way from the actual center of the storm.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6361

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center