F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Pages: 1
CoconutCandy
User

Reged:
Loc: Beautiful Honolulu Hawaii
'Invest Mongering' Media Ploy / Reality Check
      #80210 - Tue Jul 01 2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

"As impressive as this wave looks. I'm still wondering if they are not jumping the gun with the invest tag. SST are marginal at best. The convection is not all that impressive since it hit the open water. I hate to say it, but the NHC has taken alot of heat in the last few years. I'm wondering if they are pandering to the media with this wave. It looks to be media driven wave mongering."

- Registered User M.A. from a recent posting on the 2008 Storm Forum

Very enlightening. Your rationale is very keen. And I tend to agree; they really jumped to the invest stage early with this wave.

It's ironic that the EastPac's soon-to-be TD 4E is MUCH more interesting and significant and downright *awesome* looking.

NHC should be pushing the line " ... and look at all this tremendous activity in the Eastern Pacific, with Hurricane Boris forming in mid-basin and this *enormous cyclonic gyre* that's set up shop for the past week that's going to crank out one storm after another ... and all that activity is going to soon 'migrate' into the Atlantic basic in a matter of weeks." Or something along those lines.

Alas! It's in a no-big-deal basin, though, and hasn't gotten nearly the media attention it deserves.

The bottom line is that it's not widely known and acknowledged that the far-eastern EastPac and the far-western Atlantic basins are much more interrelated and interdependent that it would appear to be the case. Especially with 'global warming' and the basins' running a few degrees warmer than climatology, it likely exacerbates the dynamical interaction of the basins, ala enhanced MJO pulses and the like.

NHC could put a big 'spin' on this and play up the likelihood of an earlier than normal 'start' to hurricane season with Hurricane Bertha being declared in a week or so (July 10th ) in the *western* Atlantic, rather than the not-quite-ripe-yet far-eastern Atlantic.

Now *that's* a good media 'package' that a 'talking head' could take all the way to the Larry King show. Did someone say 'favorable media coverage' for the good folks at the NHC?

But then again, SST's are up near 92L from climatology, and, as cieldumort has so eloquently pointed out: Stranger things have happened !!

http://weather.hawaii.edu/satellite/sata...amp;overlay=off

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
M.A.
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Vero Beach, Fl
Re: 'Invest Mongering' Media Ploy / Reality Check [Re: CoconutCandy]
      #80213 - Tue Jul 01 2008 07:55 PM

Thank you for the re-direction of this post. I looked it over 3 or 4 times and still couldn't decide where it belonged. I did understand your point about the SSTs being above normal in that area. The convection seems to be fizzling out unlike the previous few waves.

I still stand my ground on this being a media driven invest at this point. Our local paper has been running articles for about a week on Tropical storm development in the upcoming week. I actually have seen 2 elderly couples buying plywood and talking about the "storm". It makes me very angry that the media makes the elderly an uninformed prey. It is just plain wrong. It is almost a terrorist act. These elderly people depend on thier local media to keep them informed. For the media to blow this up to the point that some of them are already buying plywood is haneous.

If this wave gathers itself and becomes a named storm, it has very little chance of making it across the Atlantic. 98% chance that it is a fish spinner.

I cannot remember when such a calamity has brought up about a wave EAST of the Cape Verde islands.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2972

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center