F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 210 (Idalia) , Major: 210 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 210 (Idalia) Major: 210 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
CoconutCandy
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Beautiful Honolulu Hawaii
Can a Thunderstorm Outflow Boundary 'Tame' the Mighty Hurricane?
      #81063 - Sun Aug 03 2008 08:11 AM

What's that you say? Preposterous! Absurd! Say it ain’t so!

Well, guess what? This actually may be the case under very special circumstances. Read on ...

While we're all keeping an eye on a number of 'invests', (TCFA now issued for Invest 91L in the GOM) and before the next round of storms crank up, I thought I'd take this opportunity to share with you a very interesting hurricane story.

( This is actually a reply to "WHAZZAT?", posted earlier this season in this forum.

http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=80152&an=0&page=0#80152 )

That post reminded me of an interesting article I came across a few years ago while web surfing.

=============================================================

Who remembers the hurricane season of 1995? Yep. It was a pretty active year. If fact, it was thee *most* active hurricane season of the 20th century, second only to 1933 !! It brought us the likes of landfalling hurricanes Erin and Opal (who can forget Opal?) and a number of other historically interesting storms, including Luis, Marilyn and Roxanne.

( For those interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Atlantic_Hurricane_season )

It was Major Hurricane Luis that was 'tamed' by the aforementioned thunderstorm outflow boundary. OK. OK. I guess it depends on what you mean by 'tamed'.

The following excerpts are from a very cool 4-page article appearing in the prestigious journal "Monthly Weather Review". In fact, it was featured as the "Picture of the Month", for the September 2000 issue.

For those interested in reading and studying the original article (in PDF format):

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/resources/docs/Hurr_Luis.pdf

====================================================

Luis was a Cat 4 storm at the time, that had just crossed the northernmost of the Lesser Antilles. To make the story short (read the article for the whole scoop), a very large, low-level thunderstorm outflow boundary (LTO) formed and propagated outward in the NW quadrant of Luis.
Quote:

" ... a large LTO boundary emerged from beneath the cirrus cloudiness on the northwest side of the storm. (See the following graphic) ... Since the storm was traveling toward the northwest at this time, the LTO boundary, and the region of stable air associated with it, were being positioned just ahead of the storm’s center. When the hurricane’s core crossed into the area where this outflow air had spread, the stable air appeared to have had a strongly negative influence on the eyewall convection."

Quote:

" ... Although there was no significant weakening of maximum winds, or increase of mean sea level pressure, this disruption of the eyewall structure did appear to interrupt the intensification trend the storm was experiencing. ... It is also interesting that after the storm passed beyond the area of more stabilized boundary layer air, it once again began to become better organized and resumed its intensification."

In Summary ...

Quote:

"1) A period of moderately intense wind shear and dry air intrusion caused the eyewall convection to ingest dry midlevel air and weaken

2) The collapsing convection produced a very stable LTO air mass ahead of itself

3) The convection near the center of the hurricane passed over this stable, low-level air mass and weakened

4) Once out of this region, the storm reintensified.

So, the LTO boundary 'tamed', or at least 'held in check', an intensification phase that Luis was going through.

This shortened, condensed version doesn't really do the article justice, and I heartedly encourage all you hard-core hurricane buffs to read the PDF, which has additional illustrations and a more thorough explanation of the actual dynamics involved.

Pretty interesting stuff in my book. Hope you will enjoy the article as much as I did!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3431

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center