F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> The Tropics Today

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Lakeland, FL
9N36W
      #81148 - Tue Aug 05 2008 05:06 PM

Area of strong convection associated with a tropical wave south of 20W. The 18:15 UTC of the EastAtlantic Floater shows a nice round appearance to the convection, with hints of a rotation within these thunderstorms. I think this area bears watching for the next few days, at least. It certainly appears to be the most organized system out in the Atlantic atm.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: 9N36W [Re: JoshuaK]
      #81150 - Tue Aug 05 2008 05:36 PM

Well its certainly an active looking wave. It will be moving under easterly shear for a couple of days, but SSTs are about 28C. The wave is embedded in the ITCZ with dry air to its north and south, but on a west northwest heading it should remain in a moist environment. Certainly something to keep an eye on.
ED

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Re: 9N36W [Re: JoshuaK]
      #81151 - Tue Aug 05 2008 09:08 PM

I noticed this earlier today too. At least it is something to watch.

craigm
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: 9N36W [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #81152 - Tue Aug 05 2008 09:33 PM

SAL is dominant around this wave also.

http://www.weathercarib.com/080805-m8split.jpg

If it stays tucked underneath it we could be watching 92L forming.

I'm keeping an eye on the next MJO pulse which could be moving through this hemisphere in 3 to 4 weeks. Now that were entering the active part of the season it will be interesting to watch mainly because most every thing so far, this season, that has had potential to spin up has done so.

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

metwannabe
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: NC
Re: 9N36W [Re: craigm]
      #81153 - Tue Aug 05 2008 10:24 PM

Buoy 41026 at 12n 38w has a NE wind and buoy 13009 at 8n 38w has a SSW wind. Could this be a sign of some rotation with the large cluster of storms in that area? Certainly looks impressive on IR Sat loops.

--------------------
Fran, Bertha, Dennis & Floyd (Tag Team)

weathernet
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Elsewhere
Re: 9N36W [Re: metwannabe]
      #81156 - Tue Aug 05 2008 11:57 PM

This ITZ disturbance really does look nice for the moment. Assuming that the convection does not wane, than would guess that it would start to gain a little latitude tomm. If this were to occur, and convection maintained, than would suspect to be tagged as an invest by mid day. Course, if it gains much latitude, than may have to contend with some increased upper level shear too.

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: 9N36W [Re: weathernet]
      #81162 - Wed Aug 06 2008 11:39 AM

Convection has died down a lot, but with a few scattered storms still present. I'll still be keeping an eye on this area to see if the convection tries to build back up again this evening.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6350

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center