F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Not Much in the Tropics Today
      #81169 - Wed Aug 06 2008 02:35 PM

Friday August 8 Update 10:15AM
The low east of the Bahamas has dissipated and there is very little to nothing going on in the tropics right now. It's likely there won't be anything to talk about until the end of next week, but it is August so watching for spin ups is still worth doing.

The latter half of August into September starts the peak of the season, so it would be wonderful if nothing occurs up through then.

For now, nothing, but watch off Africa or the mid Atlantic sometime late next week.

Original Update
With Edouard moving across Texas generating rain, we look to the rest of the tropics, and the old wave (formerly 99L) that was being watched some last week is starting to near the Bahamas, and has a small chance to develop before reaching or after crossing over Florida.

The most likely near term scenario is that it provides an extra boost of rain to the Bahamas and Central/South Florida when it crosses.

Because of the location this will be watched closely over the next few days. It currently isn't being tracked as an "Invest" area, so the usual class of models are not available for it yet.

East of Bahamas Low Development Chances in Next 24 hours
Code:

(forget it) 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (sure thing)
[-*------------------]

This is the only game in town in the Atlantic Basin right now.

More discussion here

Event Related Links:

StormCarib Reports from the Caribbean Islands

Caribbean Weather Observations

Barbados Brohav Weather Fax

Full Caribbean Radar Composite

Caribbean Broadcast Corporation (TV/Radio from Antilles)

San Juan, PR NWS Page

Various Caribbean Radio Stations

DR1 Dominican Republic Hurricanes
Florida Keys Long Range Radar Loop
Tampa, FL Long Range Radar Loop
Miami, FL Long Range Radar
Melbourne, FL Long Range Radar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Re: Watching Wave East of the Bahamas [Re: MikeC]
      #81170 - Wed Aug 06 2008 02:43 PM

As one who lives in SFL, I'm glad its slow for now. Would be nice to get the rain from the wave.

Patrick99
Unregistered

Re: Watching Wave East of the Bahamas [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #81172 - Wed Aug 06 2008 03:53 PM

If it wasn't moving along at an apparently quick clip, I'd think it might have a chance....but it looks like it's trucking along pretty quickly.

kpost

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: Watching Wave East of the Bahamas [Re: MikeC]
      #81173 - Wed Aug 06 2008 04:50 PM

This is from:
AXNT20 KNHC 061757
TWDAT

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
205 PM EDT WED AUG 06 2008
Atlantic tropical weather discussion NHC

Quote:

FROM THE BAHAMAS ISLANDS INTO THE CARIBBEAN SEA...
AN UPPER LEVEL CYCLONIC CIRCULATION CENTER IS NEAR 22N73W
BETWEEN MAYAGUANA AND LITTLE INAGUA IN THE SOUTHERN BAHAMAS
JUST WEST OF THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS. A TROUGH CONTINUES
FROM THE CYCLONIC CENTER THROUGH THE WINDWARD PASSAGE INTO THE
CARIBBEAN SEA NEAR 15N80W DIVING INTO THE SOUTHWESTERN CORNER
OF THE AREA. SHOWERS AND POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS ARE ALONG THE
COASTS FROM PANAMA TO SOUTHEASTERN COSTA RICA. SCATTERED
MODERATE SHOWERS FROM 24N TO 26N BETWEEN 73W AND 76W JUST
NORTHEAST OF THE BAHAMAS. ISOLATED MODERATE SHOWERS ARE JUST
NORTHEAST OF JAMAICA. THE 72W/73W TROPICAL WAVE APPEARS TO BE
LINED UP WITH SHOWERS AND POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS IN NORTHERN
COLOMBIA FROM 9N TO 10N JUST WEST OF THE BORDER WITH VENEZUELA.
UPPER LEVEL ANTICYCLONIC FLOW CURVES FROM COLOMBIA INTO THE
CARIBBEAN WATERS TOWARD HISPANIOLA. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS
ARE FROM 10N TO 13N BETWEEN 62W AND 65W JUST NORTH OF THE ITCZ
AND POSSIBLY UNDER A NEARBY MIDDLE LEVEL TROUGH.

Plus if anybody with knowledge could please translate for me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :?:

craigm
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: Watching Wave East of the Bahamas [Re: kpost]
      #81174 - Wed Aug 06 2008 06:13 PM

Kpost-The 1st sentence of the discussion relates to the convection over the eastern Bahamas. There is rotation but not at the surface. The rest of the discussion relates to other areas around the carribean.

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Watching Wave East of the Bahamas [Re: craigm]
      #81175 - Wed Aug 06 2008 10:02 PM

I believe the yellow box the NHC put up says it has a chance. A low chance but a definite chance and there hasn't been a yellow box there in days so I would think that it's worth talking on and watching.l

http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_wv_east_loop-12.html

The upper level low is moving to the right away from the area in the Bahamas.
The wave in the Bahamas that has traveled across the entire Atlantic as an entity is moving with the lower level
flow west. It is very possible it can develop a bit and even more so after it moves away from South Florida and the Keys it will be in the Eastern Gulf of Mexico and it needs to be watched.

it's all a matter of timing, timing is everything.

A rotation can work it's way down to the surface and it looked very good on visible today.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

M.A.
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Vero Beach, Fl
Re: Watching Wave East of the Bahamas [Re: LoisCane]
      #81181 - Thu Aug 07 2008 09:42 AM

It seems as though this wave is just going to fizzle out. Doesnt even look like we in Florida will get an increased chance of rain at this point. The wave at 20N 57W is looking pretty good this morning. I dont know what speed it is traveling west at, but it is pretty quick. Bears watching for the time being.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Watching Wave East of the Bahamas [Re: M.A.]
      #81185 - Thu Aug 07 2008 08:41 PM

Wondering what will happen when the energy from the frontal trough or remnants of the various mid-west storms gets down into the area of the wave and the upper level low around Florida.

Would seem to be there will be a lot of instability in the atmosphere tomorrow and over the weekend.

http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_wv_east_loop-12.html

Not something you see often but a lot of things converging there.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

mikethewreck
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Treasure Coast FL
Quiet Out There [Re: LoisCane]
      #81187 - Fri Aug 08 2008 12:25 PM

Is the Sahara dust (SAL) the cause for the quiet tropics? Looking at CIMSS, it looks like SAL has been blanketing the Atlantic suppressing the Cape Verde waves. Or am I wrong?

--------------------
Earliest memory Hurricane Cleo!
Went under Hurricane Gloria!

Storm Surfer

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Re: Quiet Out There [Re: mikethewreck]
      #81188 - Fri Aug 08 2008 12:58 PM

By the looks of the visible loop, there seems to be some rotation east of the Bahamas . Near 27.48 N 72.89 W

Edited by Storm Surfer (Fri Aug 08 2008 01:26 PM)

Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Southeast, FL
Re: Not Much in the Tropics Today [Re: MikeC]
      #81190 - Fri Aug 08 2008 02:54 PM

I see that to stormsurfer, looks very nice tight, and small. Its worth watching stranger things have happend in that area before. I belive its still 99l its stead of it disapeering i think or sorta stalled there then went under a cloke with evrything else going on around it.

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Wait for it... [Re: Robert]
      #81196 - Sat Aug 09 2008 05:15 AM

Notice how around Dolly time the Atlantic got that sort of drugged look (aside from Edouard squeezing in) it gets when MJO flips to positive? It never works out perfectly, but you can see that MJO negative wave advancing... just look at how the western Pacific flipped on a week or so ago, and now the central and eastern Pacific have a pretty solid line of storms and invests. Hernan went off the other day, so in seven to ten after you can expect the Atlantic to have an answer. My guess is that things will flip back on all at once later this week--maybe a line of activity will develop. Latest GFS runs keep trending in that direction. Some of the other models are also showing those subtle signs that they also see approaching activity.
Slightly unnerving side note is that it has also been the tendency (although by no means a sure thing) that the longwave pattern will start to reconfigure into one of those where a big wheelhouse ridge starts powering its way into position in the western Atlantic. Euro has a less emphatic version of this but also seems interested in pushing the ridge westward to where any storm would have a hard time sneaking out to sea without rattling some nerves. With the MJO pulse almost here I'm betting on late August giving us some of that. In a year where most of the season predictions are almost emptying the name list, you've got to think that's going to happen some anyway. The first half of this decade featured a few active years where that somehow never worked out--but that's more the exception than the norm when you finish M or later on the list.
I'll try not to be such a stranger on the site... life hasn't slowed down much for a while.
HF 0915z09august

metwannabe
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: NC
Re: Wait for it... [Re: HanKFranK]
      #81197 - Sat Aug 09 2008 11:17 AM

In fact GFS seems extremely aggressive with development over the next week. Let's hope that does not play out. Certainly would appear anything thay may form would have a good chance of making the trip westward. Appears to be a low pressure center coming off of Africa now, this could be the biginning.

--------------------
Fran, Bertha, Dennis & Floyd (Tag Team)

craigm
Storm Tracker

Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: Wait for it... [Re: HanKFranK]
      #81198 - Sat Aug 09 2008 01:07 PM

'Notice how around Dolly time the Atlantic got that sort of drugged look (aside from Edouard squeezing in) it gets when MJO flips to positive? It never works out perfectly, but you can see that MJO negative wave advancing... just look at how the western Pacific flipped on a week or so ago, and now the central and eastern Pacific have a pretty solid line of storms and invests.'

HF, This phase diagram I have attached backs up your last post.
I'ts a little difficult to understand at 1st, but if you study it a minute you will see the correlation with our busy time in July and the phase we are heading into now - the blue line is August.

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Wait for it... [Re: metwannabe]
      #81201 - Sun Aug 10 2008 01:46 AM

Quote:

In fact GFS seems extremely aggressive with development over the next week. Let's hope that does not play out. Certainly would appear anything thay may form would have a good chance of making the trip westward. Appears to be a low pressure center coming off of Africa now, this could be the biginning.

looking at GFS tonight and few other globals... looks like were about to see activity increase in the coming days... really susprised at how aggressive the GFS is in 120+ hrs... windward islands... wouldn't want to be in there neck of the woods on wed-fri!

Edited by Storm Hunter (Sun Aug 10 2008 01:50 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 9418

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center