F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2008 Storm Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area
      #81578 - Sat Aug 16 2008 02:57 PM

This is created to host any hurricane preparations, closing, evacuations, or the like in your area, if applicable.

Ie, here in Orlando by Universal Studios, it's fairly cloudy.

Edited by Clark (Sat Aug 16 2008 09:25 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aquanaut

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa & St. Augustine, Florida
Re: Preparations, Clsoings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: MikeC]
      #81605 - Sat Aug 16 2008 06:33 PM

Cocoa:
Cloudy, with rain to the north and west due to the stalled front draped across north Central Florida. KSC is in HurConIV, issued Friday morning. It occurs to me that two 5 gallon jugs of gas will cost about $40!! That makes backup power almost four times as expensive as 'last time". I would not be surprised to see a 'bug-out' (mandatory evacuation) from the Space Center on Monday afternoon.

engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Preparations, Clsoings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: Aquanaut]
      #81606 - Sat Aug 16 2008 06:38 PM

Aquanaut, BJ's Wholesale off Plumosa and MI Cswy is at minimum .10-.15 cheaper and I noticed yesterday while filling up that it has a huge generator to keep it going in a blackout.

engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Preparations, Clsoings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: engicedave]
      #81616 - Sat Aug 16 2008 07:39 PM

Gov Crist has ordered a state of emergency and level 2 @ State EOC

DarleneCane
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Miami Beach, FL
barometer in miami drops.. is high weakening? [Re: engicedave]
      #81618 - Sat Aug 16 2008 07:51 PM

It had been hovering around 30.05 for a while, 30.04 but it's been on a downward trend. It's not raining anywhere and I am wondering if the high to the north of Fay could be weakening.

Currently 29.99 by me. That's a lot of drop for no apparent reason.

--------------------
Scratch my back with a lightning bolt
Thunder rolls like a bass drum note
The sound of the weather is Heaven's ragtime band

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Manchester, NH
Re: barometer in miami drops.. is high weakening? [Re: DarleneCane]
      #81624 - Sat Aug 16 2008 08:05 PM

Fort Myers, Florida:

Through 445 PM...scattered showers and thunderstorms were moving east at 15 mph across west central Florida. The stronger storms were located near Sarasota and in over southern Lee County. Expect gusty winds...small hail...locally heavy rain...and dangerous cloud to ground lightning.

--------------------

Tracking Storms Since 2004
Miami, Cocoa, Fort Myers and Jacksonville
Currently Reside in New England

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: barometer in miami drops.. is high weakening? [Re: StrmTrckrMiami]
      #81632 - Sat Aug 16 2008 08:31 PM

Warm and very humid (heavy air) here in Pinellas County. I've already gone and exchanged two LPG tanks for the grill, checked and installed fresh batteries in the flashlights, located the drill, bits, and tapcons for the plywood if needed. Going to start bagging and storing ice from the ice maker soon. My emergency weather radio is set. Everything else is in reasonable supply. Hoping for the best and preparing for a hit. I'll fill the gas tank in my truck tomorrow.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

flanewscameraman
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Palm Beach County, FLA
Re: barometer in miami drops.. is high weakening? [Re: MichaelA]
      #81695 - Sun Aug 17 2008 01:26 AM

Nice day in WPB, a few storms, but typical South Florida Saturday. The next few days should be a ride for all of us, until Fay decides where and when she wants to go. If and when they announce any watches or warning, then it will get real interesting. One thing I a curious about, when do you all think they might announce some sort of evacuation for the keys, if they will even evacuate

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: MikeC]
      #81751 - Sun Aug 17 2008 01:59 PM

Good Sunday morning from Naples where we are under a hurricane watch. People are finally starting to notice now that we are under a watch. Had to make a quick 7am trip to Walmart and it was mush busier than normal at that time of day. Local mets are advising to prepare because it would have to move pretty far to the east or west to miss us (and of course that's possible). They did a great job during Charley and Wilma and I have a lot of confidence in them.

Personally, I'd rather be ready than get caught so we are putting up the hurricane screens right now. It's been 2 years since they were installed so not a bad idea to practice anyway. It would actually be worse for us if it moves east because we are inland Collier County, about 8 miles from Ave Maria.

Collier County Commissioners will meet at 9am tomorrow to decide if they need to declare a state of emergency. I'm guessing they will unless we see a drastic change in course. No decision on schools yet but I would not expect that until much later today.

Pay attention and stay safe!

cosmicstorm

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: barometer in miami drops.. is high weakening? [Re: flanewscameraman]
      #81752 - Sun Aug 17 2008 02:02 PM

This is my first post. I am an avid reader of this site and really appreciate all the expertise all of you pros share with us. I have learned so much. Thank you all!

Delray Beach had a drop in the barometer from 29.97 last night at 10:00pm (8/16/08) to a reading of 29.94 at 10:00 am today (Sunday 8/17).

Also worth noting, in Green Cay wetlands (Boynton Beach) there were noticably less birds than usual. This is a wonderful place usually full of wetland birds. Not one Ibis spotted either.

Edited by cosmicstorm (Sun Aug 17 2008 03:47 PM)

onmountain
Unregistered

Re: barometer in miami drops.. is high weakening? [Re: cosmicstorm]
      #81755 - Sun Aug 17 2008 02:12 PM

Hi. Here in Temple Terrace lots of neighborhood discussion on what is happening. No one here is boarding up ... yet. I too have located my tools and have access to my plywood. Will wait another day to decide. I work for Hillsborough County and no word yet on anything. I can't imagine we will be open on Tuesday. I just looked at the Hillsborough County School Board and they have the following:
Quote:

"It is unclear at this time whether Tropical Storm Fay will have an impact on the Tampa Bay area. Early indications are that if there is an impact, it likely would occur on Tuesday.
If there are any plans to cancel events or close school, parents will be notified through automated phone messages, the district website, and via local television, radio and newspapers. School district officials remain in contact with the Emergency Operations Center. Look for updates in this space as more information becomes available."

Considering they have a huge mess here with thousands not getting bus stop info on time for Monday, this could be a big mess. Hopefully Fay will pale in comparision to Monday's opening day...

As usual, local government takes a wait and see approach, but that only works IF the storm does not suddenly ramp up to Cat 2 or 3.

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: barometer in miami drops.. is high weakening? [Re: onmountain]
      #81783 - Sun Aug 17 2008 03:27 PM

Well hello and a Jolly Sunday Morning to ya'al,

Well it looks as if they have appeared to issue a hurricane watch here in Fort Myers, which simply means to start and get the ball rolling. Yesterday, since we do not have a car, we bought two 24 packs of bottled water, flashlights with batteries and moved anything important away from the window (we do not have insurance, but will be getting some after Fay passes) We do not have a first aid kit, but after the storm passes, I will be going to buy one of those Emergency First Aid Kits for Hurricanes from CVS, FEMA or ARC websites. I got one of those hurricane guides as well as lots of canned and nonperishable foods. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Current weather conditions in Fort Myers, Florida 33901 reads as follows:

Winds ENE 6mph
Humidity: 56%
UV: 10+ Extreme
Temp: 92 degrees
Pressure: 29.97 inches and falling

(http://www.weather.com/weather/local/33901?lswe=33901&lwsa=WeatherLocalUndeclared&from=searchbox)

See more information HERE: http://www.winknews.com/news/top/27067969.html

Also, apparently there has been four deaths from FAY. See more here: http://www.winknews.com/news/local/27050684.html

Our local mets here are stressing the fact of preparedness, because we still could see FAY strengthen to a Cat 2, even though it is unlikely she will strengthen. I'm glad that people here in Lee County and surrounding Collier and Hendry counties are taking Fay serious. Who knows what will happen.

Schools here in Lee County say that the school board will be debating weather or not to start school tomorrow, and close on Tuesday or have a late start to the school season. No closings as of yet.

Just be on the look out

--------------------

Edited by StrmTrckrMiami (Sun Aug 17 2008 03:28 PM)

Bookworm

Reged:
Loc: New Port Richey, FL
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: MikeC]
      #81831 - Sun Aug 17 2008 06:45 PM

Pinellas County schools are now closed for Tuesday, which would have been the 1st day of school, as per Bay News 9.

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: Bookworm]
      #81864 - Sun Aug 17 2008 09:14 PM

Current Conditions in Fort Myers:

Partly Cloudy
95.2 °F / 35.1 °C
Humidity: 49%
Dew Point: 73 °F / 23 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.7 mph / 1 km/h
Pressure: 29.67 in / 1004.6 and falling
Heat Index: 105 °F / 41 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds:
Few 5500 ft / 1676 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 14 ft / 4 m

Just took a walk outside to walk my dog. The Sky looks to be forming a sort of thunderstorm or rain storm. Its currently sunny, but it is going to storm. Could be related to Fay? Maybe? Maybe not. Who knows.

--------------------

Littlebit
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Plant City, FL
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: StrmTrckrMiami]
      #81876 - Sun Aug 17 2008 11:00 PM

We just got the Iris alert call. Hillsborough county schools are open Monday. They will decide tomorrow if they will be open on Tuesday or not.

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: Littlebit]
      #81887 - Sun Aug 17 2008 11:21 PM

Were getting what I think to be feeder bands of Fay. Were getting hit with the thunderstorms and winds of her. of this is her.

--------------------

Sarasota3G

Reged:
Loc: Sarasota County - Sarasota, Fl...
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: StrmTrckrMiami]
      #81891 - Sun Aug 17 2008 11:37 PM

Here in Sarasota it's 19:30, no wind, 85 F. Barometer is at 29.93, dropping steadily. Things aren't looking like prior storms, quieter but no one can say yet. I'll let you know tomorrow what it looks like here if no one else does.

--------------------
Sarasota 3G

onmountain
Unregistered

Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: Sarasota3G]
      #81892 - Sun Aug 17 2008 11:41 PM

Hi. Apparently the Pinellas School closing announcement was premature. This is the best source of school info I can find so far: 970am website

I noticed some of our gas stations already have half the pump handles in bags already. We are all filled up here. Bought some more water and we are ready.

EaglezFan42
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: St Petersburg, FL (Jungle Terr...
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: onmountain]
      #81939 - Mon Aug 18 2008 03:17 AM

Just north of Tampa, it's a quiet night...not even a breeze, but that's nothing to be unexpected...still way too early for any impacts from Fay at this time...

From what I've been seeing over the past day or two around here is typical....
No one seems to believe it will hit or even be much of an impact around here. (Again, just from various people I've talked to and the general reaction to forecasts)
And, in all honesty, it's hard to get too hyped up about a landfall near the Tampa area considering storms forecasted to hit this area in the past that never made it here after days of being in the center of the "cone."
So, it's all just a wait-and-see from here until later tomorrow....
But still, everyone must be prepared....especially if the forecasted track stays true.

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: EaglezFan42]
      #81946 - Mon Aug 18 2008 03:51 AM

Typical Calm Night in Fort Myers. Light Rain with a few scattered showers earlier and a rumble of thunder here or there. The Barometric Pressure is finally rising for some reason?

Some stats:

Updated: 11:49 PM EDT on August 17, 2008
79.7 °F / 26.5 °C
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 74 °F / 23 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.4 mph / 5.5 km/h
Pressure: 29.75 in / 1007.3 (Rising)
Heat Index: 84 °F / 29 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
Clouds:
Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 14 ft / 4 m

So why would it suddenly drop and then rise? Anyone have any clue?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 54643

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center