F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2008 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
srq

Reged: Sun
Loc: Sarasota, FL
Re: Conditions in your area [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #82217 - Tue Aug 19 2008 07:53 AM

Nothing but wind here in Sarasota as of 8:00AM. Clouds are building in the East, so I should see some rain in an hour or two.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
weathernet
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Elsewhere
How many landfalls can a Florida storm have? [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #82358 - Tue Aug 19 2008 07:07 PM

Well, as we wait to see if Fay makes it back over water, somewhere off Melbourne, heres a question that i'll pose ( moreso just to have fun with the debate ).

Fay first made landfall, when hitting Key West in the Florida Keys, before moving over Florida Bay. Fay then struck Florida's lower S.W. coast near Marco Island. Then, assuming emergence off the Fla. east coast (assuming that some of the model guidance verify's), after having crossed the state, Fay now would be over water in the Atlantic again, again re-entering some point on the Florida east coast, then back to the Gulf of Mexico....... Finally, if not enough wandering around, what if after entering the Gulf, Fay turned north and again, struck somewhere in the Florida Panhandle? Add it up.....how many landfalls do you get????

Is a "landfall" only a landfall when entering a land mass, or also when hitting an area on the way out?

Loxgal

Reged: Thu
Loc: Loxahatchee, FL
Re: How many landfalls can a Florida storm have? [Re: weathernet]
      #82621 - Thu Aug 21 2008 10:15 AM

They were talking about this on the news last night. Now, the used the words "tropical storm", not hurricane so I don't know if this applies to both. But WPTV was saying that as Fay comes back in central Florida, that will make 3 landfalls. If it gets to the GOM and comes back into the panhandle, that will be 4, a record for FL.

--------------------
-------
K4RPI
Skywarn
KFLLOXAH6
Weather station on Wunderground
Survived:
Andrew, Francis, Jeanne, Wilma

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 28193

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center