F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 231 (Idalia) , Major: 231 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 231 (Idalia) Major: 231 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast
      #82325 - Tue Aug 19 2008 05:06 PM

Because of Fay's unprecidented tenaciousness, and remaining strong and actually increasing strength over Florida, Hurricane watches are now up for the Northern Florida Coastline from Flagler Beach north to Altamaha sound in Georgia.

From the current National Hurricane Center Forecast, Fay is expected to rain a lot move slowly north northeast, exit over the Atlantic near Palm Bay, strengthen into a hurricane, and then move back over Florida near Jacksonville. It is very likely this general track will verify.

We have a few discussion threads going on Fay, if you would like to discuss Fay's possible impact on Florida, check out here, if you want to let people what you think, or have a gut feeling, or want to shoot the breeze on Fay do that in the Fay forecast Lounge Want to let us know about conditions in your area, any closings, notices, or evacuations, let pass it along in this area. This is done to attempt more order during the flood of information (both good and bad) that will come over the next few days. The main comments are usually for discussion of what the storm is doing now, or will likely be short term.

Elsewhere in the tropics a wave in the central Atlantic (94L) may become a depression in the next few days.

Please pay attention to local media and officials in your area as the storm approaches. As of 2PM Fay is still a Tropical Storm. For state information, check out the local NWS advisories on the top of the main page and Floridadisaster.org.

HCW Level 3 Radar Recording of Fay

Mark Sudduth over at HurricaneTrack is out in Southwest Florida now, tracking the storm in his vehicle.[/url]

More to come soon...

General Fay Related Links:

Southwest Florida Webcams / hurricanecity

Florida Emergency Management / floridadisaster.org

Cuban Radar Flhurricane Recording of Cuban Mosaic radar

Southeastern US Radar Mosaic
Tampa Bay, FL Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)
Miami FL Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)
Melbourne FL Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)
Jacksonville FL Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Emergency Management/County info
Florida County Websites (South to North along the West Coast):
Monroe County Emergency Management (Florida Keys)
Collier County, FL (Naples)
Lee County, FL (Ft. Myers)
Charlotte County, FL
Sarasota County, FL
Manatee County, FL
Pinellas County, FL (St. Petersburg)
Hillsborough County, FL (Tampa)
Paso County, FL
Hernando County, FL
Citrus County, FL
Levy County, FL

Other Florida County Emergency Management Websites

State of Florida Division of Emergency Management/floridadisaster.org

Forecast Discussions for (Show All Locations):
Tampa,Miami, Key West, Melbourne
Tallahassee

"Spaghetti" style model plots from Colorado State / Jonathan Vigh

Local Newspapers/Websites
Naples News
St. Petersburg Times (Tampabay.com)
Florida Today (Brevard County)
Orlando Sentinel
Tampa Tribune
Palm Beach Post
Miami Herald
Daytona Beach News Journal
News Press (Southwest Florida)

Storm Animation of what a storm passing just north of Tampa would do to Tampa Bay

Dominican Republic Radar (Flhurricane Recording/Loop of this Radar)
StormCarib Reports from the Caribbean Islands

Caribbean Weather Observations

Barbados Brohav Weather Fax

Full Caribbean Radar Composite

Caribbean Broadcast Corporation (TV/Radio from Antilles)

San Juan, PR NWS Page

Various Caribbean Radio Stations

DR1 Dominican Republic Hurricanes
Fay plotted on Google Map

Fay Event Related Links

float6latest.gif stormplotthumb_6.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2008&storm=6 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Fay
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Fay

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Fay (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Fay (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Fay

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Fay
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on Fay -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

Wave 94L Event Related Links

float7latest.gif stormplotthumb_7.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2008&storm=7 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 94L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 94L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 94L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 94L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 94L

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 94L
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on 94L -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Humanriff
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Davenport, FL
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: MikeC]
      #82328 - Tue Aug 19 2008 05:14 PM

Tenacious, yes. There is almost no movement of the "eye" between the 19:45 and the 20:15 NOAA Visible images. Might be a long night for you folks in So. Florida.

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: Humanriff]
      #82334 - Tue Aug 19 2008 05:44 PM

Latest GFS model takes Fay into the Atlantic, back over Florida into the Gulf, strengthening, and into the Panhandle.....this may be a long, long time before over.....

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: pcola]
      #82337 - Tue Aug 19 2008 05:51 PM

here's the SFWMD station the NHC is referring to in the 5pm. Notice... Eye went right over the center of the station. Wind Gust on Northern Eyewall was 60mph and pressure went down to 986mb. Some remarkable data!

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=MS65DW

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: Humanriff]
      #82343 - Tue Aug 19 2008 06:00 PM

Actually, If you turn on Lat/Lon, there has been almost due north movement from 18:15Z.

M.A.
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Vero Beach, Fl
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: MikeC]
      #82345 - Tue Aug 19 2008 06:17 PM

I might be seeing things. Is it me or has Fay become better organized on radar in the past 3 hrs. I have not seen her look this semetrical. It is something I havenever seen before. Maybe this has something to do with the strong mid level circulation that has been with this storm from day one. Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me.

Here in Vero Beach, we have had gusts to about 45 mph and approximately 4.5 inches of rain so far.

Mike

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: M.A.]
      #82347 - Tue Aug 19 2008 06:22 PM

It has gotten a little better organized on Radar, and it's still moving north northeast.

Joe
Storm Tracker

Loc: St.Petersburg,FL
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: M.A.]
      #82348 - Tue Aug 19 2008 06:26 PM

Looking at the big picture and looking over current upper level maps, really cannot discount the GFS model. The GFS has been showing this turn back to the west across Florida for a couple days now before the others as the ridge builds back in the next 24-36 hours. Even bringing the storm further south then what it started with. The new 18Z run takes it 20-30 miles off Melbourne area and then straight shot west back across central Florida exiting near Tampa area then moving northwest and eventually north into the panhandle area. Seeing how this storm structure as held its own and even gotten better through the day with a nice inner core wouldnt surprise me one bit to see this get to Cat 2 strength over the warm gulf stream. I feel we will be seeing further south adjustments to the track as time goes along, this was noted in the 5pm discussion. Folks in central and northern Florida will want to pay close attention to this over the next day...

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
      #82349 - Tue Aug 19 2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

It has gotten a little better organized on Radar, and it's still moving north northeast.

agree here, i am very impressed to see on Miami and Melbourne radar that she has 3 eyewalls on the east side... this storm is very structured in her core right now... if she can make it to the atlantic without too much disruption, a Hurricane ramp up is looking more likely... then its just a matter of where the west turn will be.

one thing i noticed in the 18Z GFS is now it brings another High into the picture out of Canda and in into western Great Lakes region this weekend... err

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Tue Aug 19 2008 06:36 PM)

engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: Joe]
      #82350 - Tue Aug 19 2008 06:42 PM

Where can I see the GFS model?

scottsvb
Weather Master

Loc: fl
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #82351 - Tue Aug 19 2008 06:43 PM

Joe the 12Z GFS took it back west to just north of Clearwater...the 18Z is further north taking it out across Citrus county. 0z run might shift back south some or who knows. Still even if Fay does track further south from Melbourne-Cocoa west thru Pasco....TB will be on the south side with alot of moisture flowing up from the gulf and decent T.S force winds. Still some "ifs" on the return path. Could be as far north as Jacksonville...but I do think its a florida thing and not GA.

Joe
Storm Tracker

Loc: St.Petersburg,FL
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: scottsvb]
      #82353 - Tue Aug 19 2008 06:56 PM

My mistake scott I was looking over the 12Z GFS thinking it was 18Z, and yes it take it more WNW towards Citrus county similar to that 06Z run with the 12Z run looking similar to that of the 0z run last night. I agree with its likely a Florida threat.

GFS run link...
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/18/model_l.shtml

pcola
Storm Tracker

Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: scottsvb]
      #82355 - Tue Aug 19 2008 06:58 PM

wow..how about a storm that could possibly make 4 florida landfalls...Key West..Southwest FL..East Coast...Panhandle

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: pcola]
      #82359 - Tue Aug 19 2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

wow..how about a storm that could possibly make 4 florida landfalls...Key West..Southwest FL..East Coast...Panhandle

I'm not ENTIRELY convinced about the East Coast landfall.... because I'm not convinced it's going to make it to the Atlantic. Fay is undoubtably the weirdest storm I've ever tracked, now surpassing Elena!

Question for the Mets.... do you know of a tropical storm ever doing what Fay has done and is forecast by many models to do? (Make landfall along the western Florida Peninsula, then strengthen over land, then go back into the Gulf, and head who knows where!)

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Tue Aug 19 2008 07:27 PM)

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: Hugh]
      #82361 - Tue Aug 19 2008 07:20 PM

I have to agree. I am not totally convinced it will make it to the Atlantic.

wxman007
Meteorologist

Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: Hugh]
      #82367 - Tue Aug 19 2008 07:40 PM

Hugh,

Gordon in 94 came close....

As did Florence in 1960...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: wxman007]
      #82368 - Tue Aug 19 2008 07:47 PM

All 3 storms Jason mentioned on this map (google plot)

gatorman
Verified CFHC User

Loc:
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: wxman007]
      #82371 - Tue Aug 19 2008 08:08 PM

jason, i really trust your forecasting the most when it comes to these hurricanes, watched you for many years, what do you think this "Fay" is going to do? do you think it will enter the atlantic then pass over land back to the gulf? or what??? thanks ......

Edited by gatorman (Tue Aug 19 2008 08:26 PM)

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: St. Petersburg, Fl
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #82373 - Tue Aug 19 2008 08:12 PM

The 8:00 position is same as the 7:00 seems she has stalled. Wonder if fay is feeling trough leaving her behind. WV shows trough racing out past fay. Curious to see if this is a true stall or just a momentary situation.

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: dolfinatic]
      #82374 - Tue Aug 19 2008 08:16 PM

Looking at Nexrad on wunderground, this thing did not move from 7:44 to 8:14 pm EDT.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 26764

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center