F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
vineyardsaker
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Re: 20miles east of cape canaveral [Re: metwannabe]
      #82516 - Wed Aug 20 2008 07:53 PM

I realize that Fay does not have an eye, but here in New Smyrna it feels exactly like inside the eye of a system. Hardly any wind, spray-like drizzle and eerie calm. We even had just a little sunshine earlier in the day and its hard to believe that there are winds rotating around us.

--------------------
Charley(eyewall), Ivan, Jeanne, Dennis, Wilma, Irma, Ian (eyewall), Nicole

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Artsy Fartsy
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Fernandina Beach, Florida
Here in J-ville [Re: vineyardsaker]
      #82518 - Wed Aug 20 2008 08:17 PM

Not sure if any other users from Jax, but, here today has been the most perfectly messed up day, Humidity must be nearing 1000% percent, winds blustery, clouds flying by with teasing blues peaking here and there. It has rained on and off at times heavy, but, mostly lighter.

Three weeks ago we were complaining that we needed rain, I guess sometimes we get what we ask for whether we really want it or not...LOL.

-Artsy Fartsy

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Here in J-ville [Re: Artsy Fartsy]
      #82519 - Wed Aug 20 2008 08:40 PM

looks like the coc is about 10 miles east notheast of Titusville, and trying to wrap some convection around it....

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

lsutigerfan

Reged:
Loc: Baton Rouge, La.
Re: Fay Over Cape Canaveral [Re: MikeC]
      #82520 - Wed Aug 20 2008 08:51 PM

I was wondering what is keeping this system from going due west back into the GOM and moving on toward Louisiana or texas coast?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this question. Im a newbie!!!
Thanks!

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Fay Over Cape Canaveral [Re: lsutigerfan]
      #82521 - Wed Aug 20 2008 08:56 PM

the storm is going to ride the edge of the high pressure ridge..moving west. The NHC says the ridge will be north of the coast, thus the demise of Fay in a few days, but it could enter the Gulf and head inland farther west near Mobile, but the models are moving more towards the inland route

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Fay Over Cape Canaveral [Re: lsutigerfan]
      #82522 - Wed Aug 20 2008 08:56 PM

There's really nothing to stop it...I don't know if it will go back due west across the state, but I just don't see it getting that much further north..although as you can see, the NHC disagrees with me.
BTW...you are in the right place to ask this question.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Fay reorganizing... [Re: Colleen A.]
      #82524 - Wed Aug 20 2008 09:21 PM

Over the last 2 hours the radar presentation of Fay is really improving. I do believe that Fay is going to try to strengthen a little bit before it moves west later tonight or tomorrow.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

xxflcyclonexx
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Charlotte County
Re: 20miles east of cape canaveral [Re: vineyardsaker]
      #82526 - Wed Aug 20 2008 09:41 PM

Some traffic reports from the Florida Highway Patrol mentioning the locations of street flooding, etc. in Brevard,

Traffic reports page:
http://www.flhsmv.gov/fhp/traffic/ You can also see the incident locations on Google maps.

Obstruction on Highway BREVARD I-95 SB EXIT x[SR-520 W, MM 201] [COCOA]
NORTHBOUND ENTRANCE RAMP IS CLOSED FOR CONSTRUCTION UNITL 8-27 ON I-95 AT SR 520 MM 201

ROAD CLOSED DUE TO WATER BREVARD WICKHAM RD x[PARKWAY DR] [MELBOURNE] WICKHAM ROAD SHUT DOWN DUE TO FLOODING

ROAD CLOSED DUE TO WATER BREVARD SR-A1A x[PINEDA CSWY ENT WB] [SATELLITE BEACH] RIGHT LANE UNDER WATER

ROAD CLOSED DUE TO WATER BREVARD TROPICAL TRL x[TEQUESTA HARBOR DR] [MERRITT ISLAND] MINOR FLOODING OVER THE ROAD, ROAD IS OPEN

ROAD CLOSED DUE TO WATER BREVARD WICKHAM RD x[PINEDA CSWY] [MELBOURNE] ROADWAY FLOODED

ROAD CLOSED DUE TO WATER BREVARD SR-5 N x[ANSIN RD] [ROCKLEDGE] ROADWAY FLOODED

ROAD CLOSED DUE TO WATER BREVARD SR-5 N x[SUNTREE BLVD]
[ROCKLEDGE] ROADWAY FLOODED JUST NORTH OF SUNTREE BLVD

ROAD CLOSED DUE TO WATER BREVARD JOHN RODES BLVD x[US-192 W] [MELBOURNE] JOHN RODES BLVD FLOODED

ROAD CLOSED DUE TO WATER BREVARD LAKE WASHINGTON RD x[TURTLE MOUND RD] [MELBOURNE]

ROAD CLOSED DUE TO WATER BREVARD SR-518 E x[PINEWOOD RD] [MELBOURNE]

ROAD CLOSED DUE TO WATER BREVARD WICKHAM RD x[SHOPPES DR] [MELBOURNE]

Disabled Vehicle in Roadway BREVARD I-95 NB x[MM197.0] [ROCKLEDGE]

Disabled Vehicle in Roadway BREVARD I-95 NB x[MM191.0] [MELBOURNE] PARTIAL ROAD BLOCK AT THE MM191

kromdog
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: 20miles east of cape canaveral [Re: xxflcyclonexx]
      #82528 - Wed Aug 20 2008 09:47 PM

More people die in these storms from water related issues rather than wind related. Everyone needs to be very careful out there!

vineyardsaker
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Re: Fay reorganizing... [Re: wxman007]
      #82531 - Wed Aug 20 2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Over the last 2 hours the radar presentation of Fay is really improving. I do believe that Fay is going to try to strengthen a little bit before it moves west later tonight or tomorrow.

Yes, I just noticed the same thing right here.

Just just read on the NHC's advisory that Fay is not expected to strengthen much. Good.

--------------------
Charley(eyewall), Ivan, Jeanne, Dennis, Wilma, Irma, Ian (eyewall), Nicole

Edited by vineyardsaker (Wed Aug 20 2008 10:07 PM)

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: Fay reorganizing... [Re: vineyardsaker]
      #82533 - Wed Aug 20 2008 10:36 PM

Pressure is falling...now down to 993 mb...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #82534 - Wed Aug 20 2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Recon spit out a 993 mb SFC. pressure reading just a few minutes ago in the latest vortex message, a drop of 4 mb since the 5 p estimate. With the radar presentation improving, showing a nearly closed eye-like feature of about 50 mi width (though recon did not consider it to be an eye), Fay could well strengthen some before moving inland. The large size and relative coolness of the near-coastal waters may hinder that somewhat, though.

Jason and I, needless to say, are hoping at the 12Z ECMWF track does not verify. There's still a very good chance Fay ends up in the Gulf in some form, particularly if the ridge is stronger than the other models forecast, but we want no part of the model's forecast. Independent of that, though, this will be a heavy rainfall event for many along the I-10 corridor from west of Jacksonville through to Pensacola or Mobile in the next few days.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Re: 20miles east of cape canaveral [Re: kromdog]
      #82535 - Wed Aug 20 2008 10:41 PM

True comment as people can hide from the wind easier. Even when you aren't running from the water people get into accidents and either way the damage from the water is pervasive, everywhere. This is a catastrophy beyond description.

And, it's not over. We need to start tracking TS different than hurricanes.

Perhaps someone like Skeetobite could make street tracks for areas for who will get weather, the tail, the dirty side, etc.

And, the tail is supposed to dump tomorrow on lots of people including south florida.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
      #82538 - Wed Aug 20 2008 10:50 PM

I was just thinking she must be getting stronger or moving more north, Up here in SE Georgia it has been really quiet other than a short shower and light wind gusts now it appears to be more overcast and the wind is picking up.

kromdog
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Fay reorganizing... [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #82539 - Wed Aug 20 2008 10:55 PM

She does not appear to be moving more north at this time.

DWalk

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Fay reorganizing... [Re: kromdog]
      #82540 - Wed Aug 20 2008 11:03 PM

Radar looks as though she may be starting to head W or WSW even. Am I just seeing things? Center also appears to be closing up a little.

Trekman
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Fort Walton Beach FL
Re: Fay Over Cape Canaveral [Re: Colleen A.]
      #82541 - Wed Aug 20 2008 11:03 PM

The Air Force weather officer at work had mentioned something about the ULL near Texas could have some impact on Fay. Problem is that it is a fall type low and the tropical models are having a hard time with the interaction between a fall low and a tropical system. Any thoughts on that? I am just a comm type guy, and can only guess about atmospheric interaction.

--------------------
Went though: Erin ('95), Opal ('95), Danny ('97), Georges ('98), Ivan ('04), Dennis ('05)

Emergency Administration and Management program at Northwest Florida State College

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Fay Over Cape Canaveral [Re: Trekman]
      #82542 - Wed Aug 20 2008 11:09 PM

I notice an elongation in the CoC on radar from east to west. Is this indicative of the start of the move west?

Captain Jed

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Bay
Re: Fay reorganizing... [Re: Clark]
      #82543 - Wed Aug 20 2008 11:13 PM

I thought i posted something about a nice rainmaking windfield?Am I wrong?

gatorman
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Fay reorganizing... [Re: DWalk]
      #82547 - Wed Aug 20 2008 11:29 PM

ok, i know its weird, but,, it does look as if a slight movement to the west is happening, maybe a wobble?? or is this the westward movement we were looking for? but wasnt it supposed to be a northwest movement? it gets into the gulf,, look out panhandle!!!! maybe the high is strnger than was expected?? ideas anyone???

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 34455

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center