F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2008 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
JMII
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: Unregistered User]
      #83200 - Thu Aug 28 2008 10:08 AM

Good call by Hugh a few posts back.

Gus got really pounded by the High to the north, he bounced off the "wall" and went SOUTH just like UKMET said. I had feeling this might happen, but he didn't so much as jump but got sheared and completely reformed off Jamaica!

Looking at the water vapor loop I'd say the UKMET still has the right solution, Gus still has to steer WSW over Jamaica. If that motion continues this thing could hit Mexico! I still don't see how Gus could reach the northern Gulf coast given the flow over the GOM, but the models (and NHC) keep holding onto that (scary) solution.

Now back home in S FL we might have to worry about TD#8 (Hanna?)

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hogrunr
Unregistered

Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: Unregistered User]
      #83201 - Thu Aug 28 2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

OK....I quit......just when the NHC shifts its track west, some of the globals, including the GFDL shift to the east, with the GFDL no pointing at the mouth of mobile bay, and the GFS stalling the system in the northern gulf.....for me the solution is simple, i will leave the shutters up until the xmas lights go up....this is nerveracking

I know we are supposed to not put too much faith into the 5 day cone or the models that far out, but this gets so nerve racking when the track wobbles away from you and then back in a constant loop of back and forth. On one note they are saying that the high over florida will move off to the east and keep 95L (Hanna) from spinning out to sea. Yet the models hold it in place enough to keep Gustav from recurving more North to the panhandle of Florida. What gives? Which is it?

The key ot this quandry is the timing of it all. 95L (hanna) is currently 8-10 days from impacting florida or the bahamas if it follows the current models, whereas Gus is only 5-6 days away from making landfall on the gulf coast. This gives Gus time to follow the ridge along the west side of the high pressure center and make landfall before the high moves at all, and then 3-4 days for the high to start moving east and impact 95L's path.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: hogrunr]
      #83202 - Thu Aug 28 2008 10:27 AM

I dont know about 8-10, maybe 5-7days. Gustav is really getting better organized, like I said last night,should be a hurricane by this afternoon.

PensacolaWX

Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: scottsvb]
      #83203 - Thu Aug 28 2008 10:30 AM

Looking at the recent satellite images, I would have to say that it looks like Gustav has formed well north of the forecasted points and is moving W, not SW. It seems to appear like it will be impacting the Northeast corner of Jamaica. This is well north or the forecasted track of moving to the south side of Jamaica.

metwannabe
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: NC
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: PensacolaWX]
      #83205 - Thu Aug 28 2008 10:41 AM

I'd say Gustav is very close if not already a hurricane again. Vis sat seems to show an eye trying to form again and would appear to be decent intensification going on. If winds have caught up to the pressure falls, would not be surprised to see hurricane at 11:00 update.

(I tracked recon through tropicalatlantic.com in google earth, it has crashed, any other sites like that availalbe, pm me if you know thanks)

still tropical storm at 1100, will probably be there this afternoon

--------------------
Fran, Bertha, Dennis & Floyd (Tag Team)

Edited by metwannabe (Thu Aug 28 2008 10:53 AM)

hogrunr
Unregistered

Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: metwannabe]
      #83208 - Thu Aug 28 2008 10:53 AM

11AM update is out. Still not a hurricane according to the winds, but the direction has indeed shifted to due west. Even though the winds are still at 70mph like the earlier update, the pressure has dropped from 988 to 983mb so it is definitely still strenthening. Also, new high level convection can be seen on the most recent visible satellite imagery just over the eastern Jamaica coast. So now the question is, will Gus stay over Jamaica long enough to weaken again? Or will it turn NW or speed up (as is forecasted) in time to prevent any weakening?

javlin
Weather Master

Loc: Biloxi,MS
      #83218 - Thu Aug 28 2008 12:43 PM

Gustav seems to elude the forcasters once again he looks like he is about to skirt the coast N and any further intensification for day will cease till much later.At least he is finally moving some

pcola
Storm Tracker

Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: javlin]
      #83219 - Thu Aug 28 2008 12:48 PM

models still all over the place..ukmet has come slightly toward the ease, more near NHC track....this storm is giving everyone fits, but i must say the photo of hanna, gus, and the flare up in the bay of campeche is intersting.....and gas went up 12 cents this morning here

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

pcola
Storm Tracker

Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: pcola]
      #83223 - Thu Aug 28 2008 01:43 PM

12z GFS model in..takes Gus to central gulf below LA, stalls it, then moves it southwest to near Brownsvile Texas....pftttttttttttt.

--------------------

PensacolaWX

#83225 - Thu Aug 28 2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

12z GFS model in..takes Gus to central gulf below LA, stalls it, then moves it southwest to near Brownsvile Texas....pftttttttttttt.

But why does it not intensify the storm at all on that model run? I basically shows a TS all the way through the gulf. With the amount of warm water, low sheer, etc... I just don't see how it could not strengthen as it moves over the gulf. For yours and my sake here in Pensacola, I always welcome model runs that shift west.

The CMC takes it and stalls it right along the east cost of Florida. WOW didn't see anything like that coming out of a model.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
      #83227 - Thu Aug 28 2008 02:17 PM

I don't have a lot of faith in the GFS lately. That said, it looks like Gustav is going to run the length of Jamaica and won't intensify (maybe weaken) while there. Once he moves west of Jamaica, there is little to impede intensification. I still have my doubts of the 4 and 5 day positions and strength forecasts. I would think that we will be seeing a cat 3 storm in the Gulf come Sunday. Where it goes from there is still highly uncertain. There is still a persistent SW high level flow over the GOM, but I can make out a somewhat counter flow at the mid-levels below that on the WV loops. The patterns are very complex and anything beyond late Saturday/early Sunday is suspect. It's still very much a wait and see scenario.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc:
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: MichaelA]
      #83234 - Thu Aug 28 2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

The patterns are very complex and anything beyond late Saturday/early Sunday is suspect. It's still very much a wait and see scenario.

Agree. The shift in the latest GFS is proof of that! It's a significant shift and shows how the atmosphere is changing in ways that we don't fully understand - at least not well enough to make a very accurate projection beyond 48 hrs. I think there are some significant changes coming in the next 24 hours with regards to model predictions and NHC track forecasts. (Those poor folks have got to be pulling their hair out.) Again, the GFS is not all that strong on intensity prediction - you have to look at the trends from run to run. Right now, the trends don't look very good if you're anywhere between Jamaica and the U.S. Gulf coast. Very interesting!

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

JMII
Weather Master

Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: MichaelA]
      #83235 - Thu Aug 28 2008 04:12 PM

Outflow around Gus is looking really good, he should start gaining strength as forecast, the high to his north has backed up (or weaken) slightly which will allow the predicted WNW motion near the Caymans. Everything in front of him points to intensification: weak winds aloft, very warm waters & no land masses. He just has to wrap up and avoid any disruption from the mountains of Jamaica.

In the meantime, the low in front of Hanna seems to be shearing her apart, hard to tell whats going to happen out there. There is an "alley" of sorts around 25N that she might be able to squeeze thru... but it appears to be too narrow, maybe this is why the NHC keeps her at TS levels till Sunday.

Plus we've got that huge blowup in the southern GOM and several waves coming off Africa!

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

pcola
Storm Tracker

Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: JMII]
      #83243 - Thu Aug 28 2008 06:02 PM

ok..question time...it seems to me Gustav is moving at a slower pace than expected...with the ridge expected to break down, would a slower movement mean a turn farther east, and thus a further west track? makes sense,, but then again, nothing makes sense with this storm

--------------------

hogrunr
Unregistered

#83246 - Thu Aug 28 2008 06:49 PM

maybe I'm just being dunce....but can you explain your question a little better? A turn east means a western track?

RU12

Loc:
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: hogrunr]
      #83247 - Thu Aug 28 2008 08:04 PM

Any thoughts on Gus turning more to the east if rapid intensification occurs? Seems to be what usually happens as storms get more powerful...they start tracking to the east of the forecasted track(s). With the models in realative agreement for 3 to 4 days, I'm beginning to think that the cone will start to narrow tomorrow morning. My gut is that it will be between nawlins and p'cola. The GFDL's 1800 run is still holding steady to the east of nawlins but I wouldn't be surprised if it shifts a little further east by this time tomorrow. Just my $0.02.

saltysenior
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Mon
Loc: stuart,fl.
Re: gustav looking strange on loops [Re: LoisCane]
      #83254 - Thu Aug 28 2008 09:38 PM

i'm new but,,,, looking at the 7;30 edt 8/28 hyperactive tropics display, it looks like central fl. is getting alot of something??... from coast to coast ++ ...when i go to melbourne radar , it shows just some local heavy t/s in the ocala area...nothing like the hyper.site. .....is this ''sensationalism'' ?????

hogrunr
Unregistered

Re: gustav looking strange on loops [Re: saltysenior]
      #83255 - Thu Aug 28 2008 10:17 PM

It looks like Gus is still taking a mostly southern route along Jamaica, actually looks like part of the eye is still over water, so I don't think Jamaica will rip it up as much as some people think. We may have a hurricane by the 8 am update, and almost certainly will by the 11am update. The most recent spaghetti models only have about 3-5 models going into NOLA or a little east of there, with about 10-15 going west of NOLA.

hogrunr
Unregistered

Re: gustav looking strange on loops [Re: saltysenior]
      #83256 - Thu Aug 28 2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

i'm new but,,,, looking at the 7;30 edt 8/28 hyperactive tropics display, it looks like central fl. is getting alot of something??... from coast to coast ++ ...when i go to melbourne radar , it shows just some local heavy t/s in the ocala area...nothing like the hyper.site. .....is this ''sensationalism'' ?????

The Hyperactive map that is shown is the Infrared picture, so it picks up on the temperature of the clouds and things, but the bright colors don't necessarily mean heavy rain like a normal radar would.

Nasa IR Radar

You can see from the legend on that page the meanings of the different colors.

weatherguy08
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Miami, Fla.
Re: gustav looking strange on loops [Re: hogrunr]
      #83261 - Fri Aug 29 2008 12:05 AM

If the forecast for Gustav would play out as forecast, the angular approach to the coast may reduce storm surge somewhat, very important for the Louisiana coast. This is why Andrew, a category three hurricane when it hit Louisiana, only produced a eight-foot storm surge; however, Vermilion Bay (on the south Louisiana coast) would act as a funnel for areas very near where the eye made landfall (as of now Intracoastal City), again assuming the forecast plays out (which is why I am posting in the lounge).

On a different note, it looks like the GFDL is forecasting a Katrina-repeat (mouth of Mississippi River then Mississippi Sound), the HWRF is forecast a Rita-repeat (southwest Louisiana), and the GFS is forecasting a Lili repeat (Vermilion Bay)! I would say we could probably narrow it down to upper Texas, Louisiana, or Mississippi at this point.

I am watching this one very closely as Lafayette, Louisiana is my hometown (in Baton Rouge for now).

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 97965

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center