F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2008 Forecast Lounge

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: gustav looking strange on loops [Re: pcola]
      #83145 - Wed Aug 27 2008 11:02 PM

Models keep bouncing all over the place. Of course, given Gustav's slow motion, that's to be expected right now. IF it ever gets free of Haiti, the models might come into some sort of consistent agreement, but that may be Tuesday at this rate.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Evan Johnson
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Loxahatchee, FL
Re: gustav looking strange on loops [Re: pcola]
      #83148 - Wed Aug 27 2008 11:10 PM

pcola, in which direction do you think it will shift? more nne? its moving 3mph as of the latest advisory, its chuggin along very slowly.

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: gustav looking strange on loops [Re: Evan Johnson]
      #83149 - Wed Aug 27 2008 11:21 PM

This is the Forecast Lounge, however it is not a chat room or a place for one line posts. Use the PM feature to ask a question of another user regarding their post. This has been said more than once in this Forum as well as the others so from here on in there will be some deleted/moved posts. Keep this in mind before you ask what happened to my post. Review the site rules regarding posting.

Edited by Storm Cooper (Wed Aug 27 2008 11:45 PM)

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: gustav looking strange on loops [Re: Hugh]
      #83150 - Wed Aug 27 2008 11:28 PM

It looks as though convection is starting to fire near the center. It also looks like the shear is starting to relax as I dont see these tops being blow off like the last several hours. It will need to move farther from Haiti before it can do very much

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: gustav looking strange on loops [Re: WeatherNut]
      #83151 - Wed Aug 27 2008 11:38 PM

The shear might be relaxing a little, but I still do not think convection is building over the LLC just yet. It's trying to build, clearly, but still getting blown off, which indicates to me that there is still some degree of shear. It's also still creeping along at a snail's pace.

Edit: 8pm is out, weaker still (down to 45mph).. now moving due west at 7...

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Wed Aug 27 2008 11:51 PM)

Crusadier95

Reged:
Loc:
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: vineyardsaker]
      #83152 - Wed Aug 27 2008 11:50 PM

Well I have predictions as of the 5:00PM Advisory. The high is what's making it's projection pend for me. I have ether going out into the Gulf and making landfall slightly east of New Orleans or going over the northern tip of Cuba and making another north of Cedar Key. Again depends on the that's out there.

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: Crusadier95]
      #83153 - Wed Aug 27 2008 11:54 PM

GFDL 18Z run has not changed much..looking at ms/la border, but the GFS stalls the system in the northern gulf..2 more days before we have a better grip on this

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

metwannabe
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: NC
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: pcola]
      #83158 - Thu Aug 28 2008 01:42 AM

I agree at least 48 hours before the models and NHC can get a better handle on Gus. I do not recall anywhere in the forecast in the last 48 hours calling for Gus to be a minimal TS now still hugging the sw coastline of Haiti.

Still some shear impeding re-intensification but I still think that the mountainous terrain of Haiti did a real number on Gus. The longer it takes for him to re-organize (assuming he does) will have huge implications with regard to intensity and track.

--------------------
Fran, Bertha, Dennis & Floyd (Tag Team)

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: metwannabe]
      #83160 - Thu Aug 28 2008 02:34 AM

Gustav heading SW currently, NHC though might just say WSW. Gustav weaker going with the flow from the midlevel high over the florida straits and maybe alittle help from the upper low. Gustav will bring torrential rains to Jamaica and unless he passes directly over the island, he will strengthen to a hurricane again by Thursday sometime.

95L really needs to wait for that upper low to its west todo something. It may become a TD or a TS in the next 12-24hrs but it needs the upper low to move NW or SW and get out of the way to get a better flow aloft.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: scottsvb]
      #83161 - Thu Aug 28 2008 02:55 AM

WTNT22 KNHC 280242
TCMAT2
TROPICAL STORM GUSTAV FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 12
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL072008
0300 UTC THU AUG 28 2008

AT 11 PM EDT...0300 UTC...THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING FOR HAITI NORTH
OF PORT AU PRINCE IS DISCONTINUED. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING
REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTHWESTERN PENINSULA OF HAITI WEST OF
THE BORDER WITH THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC AND PORT AU PRINCE.

EXTENDED OUTLOOK. NOTE...ERRORS FOR TRACK HAVE AVERAGED NEAR 225 NM
ON DAY 4 AND 300 NM ON DAY 5...AND FOR INTENSITY NEAR 20 KT EACH DAY

OUTLOOK VALID 01/0000Z 26.0N 87.5W
MAX WIND 95 KT...GUSTS 115 KT.

OUTLOOK VALID 02/0000Z 29.0N 89.5W
MAX WIND 95 KT...GUSTS 115 KT.

There's that 89.5W again. 0.1degree E of Katrina's landfall point. That should be near Downtown Venice, Louisiana.

Mapped out that would be 18nm SSW of Venice,LA and 6nm NNW of the Southwest Pass of the MS River.

These are the 120 hour forecast points are errors exceed 250nm at this time~danielw

hogrunr
Unregistered

Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: danielw]
      #83163 - Thu Aug 28 2008 03:09 AM

The latest IR imagery shows a good deal of convection starting to build near where the NHC has the center located. By morning I would expect to see the strength on the upside instead of weakening. Also to note, most of the model tracks that have been recently updated, including the NHC model track, have shifted slightly to the west of where they previously were.

In the forecast discussion from the NHC they bring up the point that there is a greater expectation of some shear once Gus hits the GOM and there is also a greater chance that an upper level ridge will be entering the western gulf because of the delay in track and intensification that Gus has taken over the past day. Personally I think that the warm waters that Gus is entering will still allow it to reach Cat 3 strength even if only for a while before shear takes it back down to a Cat 2.

gatorman
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc:
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: hogrunr]
      #83165 - Thu Aug 28 2008 03:50 AM

ok, sorry if this is a little bit of over kill for basicly the same question, but ive been verbally spanked for one liners.. anyways wouldnt sheer from the southwest push the hurricane(gustav) more to the east?? also as someone on here, much more knowledgeable than I, said that the path a hurricane follows is like is like moutains and valleys, moutains are like highs and valleys are low. the hurricane is going to follow the lows(valley) and try to wind around the highs, with this in mind, wouldnt the hurricane(gustav) be more proned to shift eastward with a dome of high pressure building in from the west?? alot of these post are very insightful and a great learning tool, i know it has helped me,, thanks all

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: gatorman]
      #83176 - Thu Aug 28 2008 11:30 AM

for hurricanes to grow, they need convection to fie, which means very high cloud tops....shear will blow the tops off the clouds and prevent it from growing, but no effect the loe level center..........also, the high pressure north has clockwise winds, thus a movement around the high clockwise, until a break is found, usually between a high and a low, which has counterclockwise winds, thus the path of least resistance

--------------------

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #83184 - Thu Aug 28 2008 12:19 PM

OK....I quit......just when the NHC shifts its track west, some of the globals, including the GFDL shift to the east, with the GFDL no pointing at the mouth of mobile bay, and the GFS stalling the system in the northern gulf.....for me the solution is simple, i will leave the shutters up until the xmas lights go up....this is nerveracking

--------------------

Rob In Miss
Unregistered

#83186 - Thu Aug 28 2008 12:42 PM

To my untrained eye, Gus seems to be moving to the west. This appears to be following the GFDL model in both tracking and intensity for now. The GFDL hasn't been shifting too much...been pretty much just east of New Orleans for over a day and certainly has our attention. We're waiting until Saturday to make the call on implenting our evacuation from the Mississippi Gulf Coast because a lot can happen between now and then. We almost saw this thing completely dessipate less tha 24 hours ago so who knows what's in store....

SeaMule
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Fairhope, Al...on the coast
Where will Fay GO? [Re: craigm]
      #83194 - Thu Aug 28 2008 01:32 PM

I like the post a met wrote yesterday, where he indicated that it is actually IMPOSSIBLE to know where Fay is eventually going to go. They don't have the tools yet....

Interestingly, the GFDL rips through north Jamaica...then intensifies to a strong hurricane directly through Mobile Bay.......and yesterday it was over in Mississippi.

the models will change...and the ONLY thing to do is think about what you will do IF the storm heads your way. I would venture to say from Panama City Florida all the way to Texas is in the bullseye...and as it gets closer....it will get less. Typical errors are on average 200 miles this way or that, when the storm is that far out....

Hanna looks like an Andrew track to me...and possibly a major hurricane too.....

hogrunr
Unregistered

Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: Rob In Miss]
      #83196 - Thu Aug 28 2008 01:34 PM

Actually the most accurate track thus far for Gus has been the UKMET model. It is the only model that originally had Gus going south of Jamaica before sling shotting around back to the WNW. The GFDL model hasn't been updated since fairly early this morning, so I would wait to see it's 11am EDT update before I see where it's trying to take Gus.

Glenn AE5IS
Unregistered

Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: Rob In Miss]
      #83197 - Thu Aug 28 2008 01:43 PM

I'm watching the BAMM and BAMD models which are showing the winds above 10,000 and 24,000 feet respectively for some long term guidance. The GFDL is a good fluiddynamic model but seems slow to respond to other changes. The BAM models seem to trace a high pressure ridge around FL. This is nerveracking.

PensacolaWX
Unregistered

#83198 - Thu Aug 28 2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

OK....I quit......just when the NHC shifts its track west, some of the globals, including the GFDL shift to the east, with the GFDL no pointing at the mouth of mobile bay, and the GFS stalling the system in the northern gulf.....for me the solution is simple, i will leave the shutters up until the xmas lights go up....this is nerveracking

I know we are supposed to not put too much faith into the 5 day cone or the models that far out, but this gets so nerve racking when the track wobbles away from you and then back in a constant loop of back and forth. On one note they are saying that the high over florida will move off to the east and keep 95L (Hanna) from spinning out to sea. Yet the models hold it in place enough to keep Gustav from recurving more North to the panhandle of Florida. What gives? Which is it?

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: New Orleans again?! [Re: Glenn AE5IS]
      #83199 - Thu Aug 28 2008 01:58 PM

The GFS model data I've been looking at the last few days has been quite consistent in showing "full" development of Gustav from this point forward, with a minimal cat 3 storm impacting the region from New Orleans to Panama City as early as Labor Day. To narrow it down any further this far out seems pointless. It bears repeating that the biggest difficulty and degrees of error come with intensity forecasts and structure of the storms as they impact coastlines. One things for sure, people cannot say they didn't have enough warning with this storm!

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 97676

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center