F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Gustav a Hurricane Again, and Watching Tropical Hanna
      #83281 - Fri Aug 29 2008 07:57 AM

2:10AM Update
Hurricane Gustav has been upgraded to a Category Two Hurricane.
RECON has found wind speeds of 99 to 100 mph in the NE Quadrant of Gustav.
Gustav is now ahead of the 00Z SHIPS Intensity forecast by some 36 to 48 hours.

7:00PM Update
Site move/upgrade completed.

5:42PM Update

SITE NOTE: We are moving/adjusting equipment around at 6:30PM EDT tonight and the site may be down for up to an hour while we reconfigure for a busy week.

3:20PM Update
Recon has reported Hurricane Force winds, and once again Gustav is a Hurricane (and faster than I thought would happen)

Recon reported a closed eyewall and a pressure of 980mb, with a setup that is ripe for rapid intensification in the short term. Cuba and the Caymans will have to deal with this shortly, and once in the Gulf Gustav will have a chance to hover as a major (Some shear may keep it from getting too extreme or strong, but it likely will have a chance to develop some storm surge) as it moves into the Gulf later this weekend.

Original Update
We are continuing to watch two Tropical Storms.

First, Tropical Storm Gustav, which is starting to leave Jamaica, and approach the Cayman Islands. Hurricane Warnings are up for the Cayman Islands. People there should rush preparations to completion. Beyond that, Gustav has a chance to clip the western coast of Cuba, or enter the Yucatan Channel and has a window for rapid intensification somewhere between Jamaica and the west coast of Cuba.

Once into the Gulf of Mexico, it has a chance to strengthen some, but there may be some shear to keep Gustav from getting too strong. Regardless, it is likely Gustav will be a major hurricane in the central Gulf of Mexico. The Northern Gulf coast, from Northeast Texas eastward to the western part of the Florida Panhandle will have to watch. (And until Gustav shows definite movement and enters the Gulf proper, that's probably the best advice). The most likely timeframe for a US impact is Tuesday or Wednesday. Please read advisories from the National Hurricane Center over the next few days and listen to local media and officials.

But that's not all, there is tropical storm Hanna northeast of the Virgin Islands, moving northwest now, but is expected to run into a forming ridge north of the system which will likely slow movement and eventually push it back southwest, bringing the Bahamas, Florida, and the Southeast in play late next week. Hanna's forecast situation is much more complex than even Gustav's, so it will have to be monitored as well. Too soon to know here as well.

96L that was in the Bay of Campeche ran out of time and never formed. A wave in the central Caribbean has a low chance of formation, but may later, and a wave near the coast of Africa has a chance to form later.

More to come...

Google Map Plot of Both Gustav and Hanna

Flhurricane Long Term Recording of Cuban radar mosaic
StormCarib Reports from the Caribbean Islands

Caribbean Weather Observations

Barbados Brohav Weather Fax

Full Caribbean Radar Composite

Caribbean Broadcast Corporation (TV/Radio from Antilles)

San Juan, PR NWS Page

Various Caribbean Radio Stations

DR1 Dominican Republic Hurricanes

Jamaican Media
Jamaican Radio (106 Power)
Go Jamaica Hurricane Dean Watch
Jamaica Gleaner (Jamaican Newspaper)
Jamaica Observer (Newspaper)
Nationwide Radio (Hurricane coverage and live reports
starting evening 8/18.)
Jamaican News/Talk 93
Love 101 Radio
Kool 97 Radio
Irie FM Radio

Other
Jamaican StormCarib Reports
Jamaican Meteorological Service

Gustav Event Related Links

float7latest.gif stormplotthumb_7.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2008&storm=7 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Gustav
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Gustav

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Gustav (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Gustav (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Gustav

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Gustav
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on Gustav -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

Caribbean Islands Weather Reports

Hanna Event Related Links

float8latest.gif stormplotthumb_8.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2008&storm=8 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Hanna
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Hanna

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Hanna (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Hanna (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Hanna

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Hanna
NRL Info on Hanna -- RAMMB Info

97L Event Related Links

float9latest.gif stormplotthumb_9.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2008&storm=9 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 97L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 97L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 97L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 97L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 97L

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 97L
NRL Info on 97L -- RAMMB Info

Edited by danielw (Sat Aug 30 2008 02:46 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: another center fix trial [Re: MikeC]
      #83282 - Fri Aug 29 2008 08:36 AM

question for a met....i have seen a number of north moving landfalling hurricanes (Dennis, Erin, Opal, Katrina, and Ivan) when they begin to interact with land, make a jump to the right. erin and Dennis moved most noticable, and Ivan about 50 miles. Is there any scientific eveidence that supports this, or is it all coincidence?

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: another center fix trial [Re: MikeC]
      #83287 - Fri Aug 29 2008 10:18 AM

Mobile NWS key point from there morning disco

Quote:

THE NOAA
RECONNAISSANCE G-IV AIRCRAFT WILL BE DOWN THERE TONIGHT GETTING A
MUCH BETTER LOOK AT THE COMPLICATED UPPER AIR PATTERN OVER THE
GULF. THE MORE DETAILED DATA FROM THOSE MISSIONS SHOULD START
GETTING INTO THE TRACK MODELS AND SHOULD HELP THE NWS GAIN A
SOMEWHAT CLEARER PICTURE AS TO THE EVENTUAL TRACK EVOLUTION OF
GUSTAV. STAY TUNED.

How soon before we start seeing this data in the new model runs ?

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Tracking Two Tropical Storms [Re: MikeC]
      #83289 - Fri Aug 29 2008 10:29 AM

We're opening up the main page to talk of the forecast tracks of Hanna and Gustav, and 97L that just formed. We're dropping some of the rules and moderation of the main page about models and the lounges for Hanna and Gustav. (still no-content/alarmist posts). The lounges are for what they are intended, making gut feeling or guesses about the storms, and discussions of models, etc are now welcome here too.

97L was just indicated, it's the wave off Africa, and is now on the main page too.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
      #83293 - Fri Aug 29 2008 11:07 AM

Have a real question here..

Generally speaking...when a storm becomes a cat 3 or 4.. what does the high aloft usually do to track

is there any pattern or each storm is its own ..

do they lean right or left or poleward?

Really, this is amazing. So many storms and Gustav is really pumping. yes, he has dry air in there but his eye really does pop out and he will go over very hot water

as for hanna... she's a fighter, fought off that ULL and if that ULL disapeers and the high does build in she is more a certainity I think that Gustav as if he becomes a Cat 3 or higher he will have one heck of a high aloft over him, his own high I may add and that may change things just a bit..

either way the consistency of the models for the gulf make me nervous, its like nothing budges them.. yes a wide cone on the 5th day but this is exasperatingly slow for people to keep watching them spin and worry

and if Ike forms out of the African system.. not even sure what will be as am so busy staring at these two to worry on him, if he forms..

this is one year for tropical storms and I keep thinking that we never really got to use models and sats to play with Betsy, she just drove forecasters crazy stalling and changing direction but somehow this time around with a possibly similar storm we get to watch how the strangeness of her track panned out..

very similar.. and again hit FL/LA.. something to think on down the road not now..

this is the time to prepare and not panic

but heat of the water down below gusav is hot

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

mcgowanmc
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: NW ARKANSAS
      #83296 - Fri Aug 29 2008 11:31 AM

Go back and look at the FAY forecast models.

The CW had them being all over the map, but I think they did a good job.

Note this 5(?)AM how the OFCI(?) was the first to zig zag and now in the latest 12Z
several are zig zagging, and moving towards Galveston.

Note also that the two different tracks, one into Houma, and the one into Galveston
are off by a day. 96 and 120 are right on top of each other.

Next 24 hrs will decide.

I think stall just north of Houma at this time. And a dollar gets you a cup of coffee.

James

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged: Tue
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Rainmaker in the making? [Re: mcgowanmc]
      #83302 - Fri Aug 29 2008 01:06 PM Attachment (248 downloads)

I'm no met, but I found FSU's 24-hour precipitation model ending late the 31st to be pretty fascinating. It looks as though Gustav could bring some hefty rain amounts into Florida as he passes (see attachment), especially South Florida.

Here's the URL: FSU's model

Everyone needs to keep aware this weekend.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Rainmaker in the making? [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #83304 - Fri Aug 29 2008 01:32 PM

well someone is about to peak out an eye soon! who's peaking out? I'm going with a Cat 3 to a weak 4 within the next 24-36hrs... i expect the rapid intensification is under way on Gustav and i think he could reach a stong hurricane before running across the western tip of Cuba... i expect will will see some amazing pressure drops in the next day or two... and once Gustav hits the loop current i think the only limiting factor is going to be like the NHC notes.. the nw shear in the northern GOM, which should help keep Gustav from getting to well organized and expanding its wind field.

~edit.. brain fart.. there's 24hrs in a day... duh not 36

and by the way...incase you haven't read!!! He's BACK!!! so important that the NHC placed the article on the main page! Guess who's back?

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Fri Aug 29 2008 01:45 PM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Rainmaker in the making? [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #83308 - Fri Aug 29 2008 03:02 PM

Just a quick run down of new information.

Hanna is getting recon on Sunday, Gustav T numbers are going up,so it's likely to regain hurricane strength by next morning. I'll be watching the Recon reports, models are sliding more westerly for Gustav, but still in general are not all that reliable.

The site still needs more work, but is good enough for this week. Although it gets a little unstable when we get >1500 users at the same time like we have been.

efaulkSWFLA
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Fort Myers, Florida
      #83310 - Fri Aug 29 2008 03:24 PM

WE Have Hurricane G agian!

Hurricane GUSTAV Update
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Home Public Adv Fcst/Adv Discussion Wind Probs Maps/Charts Archive UPDATE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WTNT62 KNHC 291915
TCUAT2
HURRICANE GUSTAV TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL072008
315 PM EDT FRI AUG 29 2008

DATA FROM AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT
GUSTAV HAS AGAIN BECOME A HURRICANE WITH MAXIMUM WINDS NEAR 75
MPH...120 KM/HR.

$$
FORECASTER KNABB

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Rainmaker in the making? [Re: MikeC]
      #83311 - Fri Aug 29 2008 03:28 PM

Wow that was fast. With the atmosphere and setup now, it is possible for Gustav to enter a rapid intensification phase, those in the Caymans should be prepared.

Stormin_thru

Loc:
Re: Tracking Two Tropical Storms [Re: efaulkSWFLA]
      #83317 - Fri Aug 29 2008 03:54 PM

Hello all,

I was wonder if perhaps I was off here but in the vortex message is shows surface winds of more than 75mph. See below. Is Gustav up to about 90mph?

Observation Number: 02
A. Time of Center Fix: 29th day of the month at 19:11:10Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 18°59'N 79°24'W (18.9833N 79.4W) (View map)
B. Center Fix Location: 132 miles (212 km) to the E (100°) from George Town, Cayman Islands (GBR).
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 2,924m (9,593ft) at 700mb
D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind: 78kts (~ 89.8mph)
E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind: 21 nautical miles (24 statute miles) to the E (82°) of center fix
F. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 157° at 71kts (From the SSE at ~ 81.7mph)
G. Location of Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 27 nautical miles (31 statute miles) to the ENE (73°) of center fix
H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 980mb (28.94 inHg)
I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 8°C (46°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,049m (10,003ft)
J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 14°C (57°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,045m (9,990ft)
K. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 9°C (48°F)
K. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
L. Eye Character: Closed
M. Eye Shape & Diameter: Circular with a diameter of 25 nautical miles (29 statute miles)
N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
N. Fix Level: 700mb
O. Navigation Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
O. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile
Remarks Section - Remarks That Were Decoded...
Maximum Flight Level Wind: 71kts (~ 81.7mph) in the northeast quadrant at 19:02:40Z
Remarks Section - Additional Remarks...
SURFACE WIND OBSERVED VISUALLY

cate
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Florida
      #83318 - Fri Aug 29 2008 03:55 PM

Looks like our neighbors on the Gulf Coast must make some hard choices soon. HG doesn't seem to waste any time getting back up to strength given the chance. Can't wait for the new models at 5EDT. Seems rare to me to have the models in such agreement this far out of landfall on the Gulf Coast. Do any mets in the forum disagree with what is currently out there?

Hanna and Ike worry me for the SE FL coast (where I live). I'm too old, too ill, and too stressed out to go thru another hit like Frances, Jeanne, and Wilma, or even a brush with TS like Fay.

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #83319 - Fri Aug 29 2008 03:56 PM Attachment (214 downloads)

The eye is getting clearer and more circular in almost every frame right now on vis. I'll say probably a 10mb (since 2p) drop by 5pm if not more. Are all 5 indicators for rapid intensification satisfied right now? I think they are. Here is the link if someone wants a look at it. Table is also attached

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/project2003/rapid_table1.html

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Edited by WeatherNut (Fri Aug 29 2008 04:24 PM)

lsutigerfan

Loc: Baton Rouge, La.
      #83320 - Fri Aug 29 2008 03:57 PM

Mike,
you stated in an earlier post that you did NOT think that this will be a New Orleans storm!
Do you still feel that way?

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Rainmaker in the making? [Re: lsutigerfan]
      #83321 - Fri Aug 29 2008 04:03 PM

Stick with the NHC track and the cone, Northeast Texas to the Western Florida Panhandle, that's about all I can say really. Wait until it gets past Cuba -- I don't think (and hope) it will be a New Orleans storm but that was just a lounge thought and by no means correct, I said it probablty would lean more south/westward and it did toward Jamaica, but it doesn't look like it will get as close to the Yucatan as I thought. I don't know about the long term.

I still think being proactive preparation wise anywhere in that cone is a good move. They did move that LSU game up to 10AM CDT.

Bloodstar

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #83325 - Fri Aug 29 2008 05:14 PM

Well, Gustav is starting to intensify... quickly, latest pass had the pressure down to 975mb. It'll take another hour or two to verify if this is going to be in the RI catagory. However NO isn't taking any chances and May Begin Evacuations Tomorrow. I'm not even willing to make a best guess estimate. I think the NHC has a good handle on the storm.

Hanna, isn't something to worry about quite yet. and with luck we won't have to. (but still keep an eye on it)!

As far as the rest of the wave train. that shouldn't even be a worry.

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
Re: Rainmaker in the making? [Re: Bloodstar]
      #83326 - Fri Aug 29 2008 05:23 PM

Watches put up for lower keys.

5 day cone just offshore miami for hanna. Wondering if Bimini is in the cone.

Hanna looks stronger than the advisory shows

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Rainmaker in the making? [Re: LoisCane]
      #83327 - Fri Aug 29 2008 05:43 PM

SITE NOTE: We are moving/adjusting equipment around at 6:30PM EDT tonight and the site may be down for up to an hour while we reconfigure for a busy week.

Edit:

Move/update completed.

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Rainmaker in the making? [Re: Bloodstar]
      #83328 - Fri Aug 29 2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Hanna, isn't something to worry about quite yet. and with luck we won't have to. (but still keep an eye on it)!

As far as the rest of the wave train. that shouldn't even be a worry.

I've had a disconcerting thought concerning the future of Hanna. What if, in making her way south and west around the ridge over Florida, she ends up taking more or less the same track Gustav took, and makes a second landfall over the same area of coastline about a week after Gustav came ashore? That would be a very nasty mess. Of course, with a good chunk of Cuba and the cold upwelling left behind Gustav, Hanna probably wouldn't be as powerful.

Gustav is looking a lot better, and this storm will be something to keep an eye on as time passes.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 26336

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center