F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 212 (Idalia) , Major: 212 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 212 (Idalia) Major: 212 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
gatorman
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc:
how wind speeds are determined
      #84195 - Fri Sep 05 2008 08:08 PM

ok i guess its a novice question, but at what height are winds measured? ive been in florida all my life and it doesnt sems that we have, in any storm, had sustained winds above hurricane force? so do they get wind speeds from like say 100 feet up? maybe right on the coast they have hurricane force but not here.. thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cieldumortModerator

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: how wind speeds are determined [Re: gatorman]
      #84226 - Sat Sep 06 2008 12:37 AM

Standard measuring elevation is 10 meters (33 feet). Wind speed at the lowest five feet above ground can run anywhere from 5% to even 80% less than the wind speeds at an unobstructed measuring station recording from a height of 33 feet.

Other things are at play, as well -

The description "sustained hurricane-force winds" is typically for winds at a 10 meter elevation - averaged over one minute. Within that minute the winds might actually be as little as, say, 40mph and perhaps as high as, say, 100mph, but at least 74mph, averaged-out.

Advisory wind speeds for tropical cyclones are not for the winds within the entire tropical cyclone, or even most of it. The advisory wind (NHC Advisory) represents the maximum sustained wind to be found at any point within the cyclone. In fact, most of the time better than 99% of any tropical cyclone will not be experiencing the maximum sustained wind speeds. Typically, you would have to be within the worst part of an eyewall to get them.. and your location's odds of that as an individual speck of sand in the sea of sand that represents all individual locations within a cyclone is almost infinitesimally small.

It is very likely that most other locations that are within the worst portions of a tropical cyclone will still experience maximum sustained winds which are impressive, but fall between 40% and 80% of the absolute max sustained.

Hope this helps!

MissouriHurricane2008
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Missouri, USA
Re: Hanna Landfall at the SC/NC Border, Ike Going West Southwest [Re: gatorman]
      #84312 - Sat Sep 06 2008 02:31 PM

where can i find a site that will show the current hurricance hunters position and all the current stats on the storm its flying through. is there a real time one?

SMOKE
Weather Watcher

Reged: Mon
Loc: USA, Ga.
Re: Hanna Landfall at the SC/NC Border, Ike Going West Southwest [Re: MissouriHurricane2008]
      #84343 - Sat Sep 06 2008 04:37 PM

There are a few sites that plot the HDOBs .... one day we'll have it on the hurricane hunter website.
Weather Underground's site is used quite a bit.

Link

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4867

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center