F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
digitlnoize

Reged: Thu
Bill Gates Wants to Control Hurricanes
      #85749 - Thu Jul 16 2009 05:43 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/research/2009-07-15-gates-hurricanes_N.htm

What do you guys think? Total BS?

(Thread moved tp the proper Forum.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sun Jul 19 2009 03:55 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Bill Gates Wants to Control Hurricanes [Re: digitlnoize]
      #85752 - Fri Jul 17 2009 09:17 AM

Over the years, there have been several attempts at decreasing storm intensities. I don't believe we should alter them since they are essential for global climate balance. The best tropical storm defense is good preparedness.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Mon
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Bill Gates Wants to Control Hurricanes [Re: digitlnoize]
      #85754 - Fri Jul 17 2009 03:05 PM

This would have to be done ahead of the hurricane, and then all the equipment moved out of the area before the storm hits. To me this would seem to be the biggest drawback since it requires an accurate forecast and lead time with dangerous and or expensive consequences. That means it's subject to forecast error, e.g. they could pump out near New Orleans and watch the storm pass by to Texas.

Beyond that, if I remember correctly, Katrina intensified over the loop current and deteriorated near the coast. It's common with N. Gulf coast storms due to some combination of landmass dryness, latitude, and other local factors. Regardless, the Storm Surge, the part of the hurricane that devastated New Orleans and much of the Gulf coast did not seem to respond significantly to the wind and structure reduction just before landfall. I don't see any expectation that this plan would reduce surge, and I don't see any reason to believe the damage from Katrina would have been significantly less with reduced wind..

Charley would have been a better example as it's intensification was very close to land and made landfall and had heavy wind damage but little surge damage. Knocking 5-10 mph off of the top winds there would probably have saved some money.

Regardless, this seems like a futile waste of time to me, the money would be better spent helping victims and designing better future storm defenses (wetland protection, stronger structures, better evactuation plans, etc)

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Bill Gates Wants to Control Hurricanes [Re: bobbutts]
      #85755 - Fri Jul 17 2009 03:30 PM

Actually, it was the failure of the levees along the shore of Lake Pontchartrain that flooded the South Ward rather than a storm surge from the Gulf (the eye of Katrina passed to the East of the city). The small surge associated with Charley was probably due to its rapid intensification near the coast and the very small size of the storm.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6144

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center