F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2009 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Bill Lounge Best Guesses and Long Range Models
      #85957 - Fri Aug 14 2009 08:14 AM

90L is likely to become TD#3 today, and some of the long range models are interesting. It's the lounge category because these models tend to get wacky at long range. Anything you see here past 4 days or so probably will not happen, but it's interesting to note the trends from day to day on these.

It may get near the US around August 24th.

I'll do a model rundown here:

CMC -- Out 6 days, approaching Leeward Islands of the Caribbean.
GFDL - Approaching just to the north of the LeewardIslands.
GFS - Into Leeward Islands... Through Puerto Rico, clipping Hispaniola, through the Straights of Florida into the Gulf and into Louisiana. (Fantasyland at that far out)

Strength wise it may get larger, weaken somewhat and then fluctuate. If it gets in the Gulf all bets are off, if it stays east, then it'll likely run into more shear but still be fairly large.

At this point I would take the models with a huge grain of salt. Around 15N 50W is a good aim point to determine how likely the Leewards and Puerto Rico will see the storm. If it's south or just at that point, it'll be more likely for them to see something.

There are other indication that the ridge may weaken, which would open a hole for it to recurve. (EURO/HRWF) as well. So in short at that far out it is anyone's guess.

Otherwise there is a good week to 10 days to watch this system.

Into the Caribbean is also a possibility.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Plant City, Florida
Re: 90L Lounge Best Guesses and Long Range Models [Re: MikeC]
      #85960 - Fri Aug 14 2009 09:12 AM

I agree with the grain of salt. I looked as CMC and GFS last night and was a bit shocked to see how deep that system is predicted to become in about 5-7 days time!! Nice convergence in the forcast tracks for this far out. I would imagine this will change when data from closer in becomes available. Some even show a pretty solid system following this one. Been nothing to cool the waters down so far, so anything is possible. Haven't been watching here much so far this season, but it looks like now is the time. Keep us informed!

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2023 Season Prediction: 17/6/2

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: 90L Lounge Best Guesses and Long Range Models [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #85969 - Fri Aug 14 2009 12:37 PM

12Z GFS now has 90L moving through the northeast Caribbean and then into the tip of S. Florida up along the western side of the state. It's not doing much except playing with the nerves at the moment. The consensus of all the models in the short term is pretty interesting though. Long term, I still don't buy it.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged: Tue
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
      #85970 - Fri Aug 14 2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

12Z GFS now has 90L moving through the northeast Caribbean and then into the tip of S. Florida up along the western side of the state. It's not doing much except playing with the nerves at the moment. The consensus of all the models in the short term is pretty interesting though. Long term, I still don't buy it.

Maybe it's just my eyes,but it looks to me like it has it going more up the east coast or middle of Florida.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Evan Johnson
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Loxahatchee, FL
Re: 90L Lounge Best Guesses and Long Range Models [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #85976 - Fri Aug 14 2009 02:41 PM

well, apparently, all the model plots are comfortable with this thing coming to florida long term. since this is best guesses, im going to give my best guess. cat 2 hurricane. impact on broward county nw through the west coast of florida and a shimmy of a recurve past the carolinas into the hurricane dumpster.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: 90L Lounge Best Guesses and Long Range Models [Re: Evan Johnson]
      #85977 - Fri Aug 14 2009 02:46 PM

GFDL is tow taking into the eastern Caribbean. Still much ado about nothing until 90L has formed solidly.

Evan Johnson
Weather Guru

#85978 - Fri Aug 14 2009 02:49 PM

yeah you have to admit though mike, it looks preety impressive at this point. im thinking its only a matter of a couple days before it becomes a cane. although thats a best guess i suppose it depends on that system that sheared 2.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#85979 - Fri Aug 14 2009 02:50 PM

Oh it's definitely impressive for now, I'm just not trusting the models currently.

Evan Johnson
Weather Guru

#85980 - Fri Aug 14 2009 02:53 PM

the long range models? i wouldnt either. i learned that mistake last season lol. i usually wait till its about 1200 miles from the east coast of florida before i start believing those models.

saluki
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL
      #85982 - Fri Aug 14 2009 03:20 PM

I don't put much stock in those scary models this far out (that's not to say I don't look at them, of course), especially with 90L still in its formative stages. It certainly has the potential to make us nervous toward the latter part of next week, but so many conditions can change between now and then.

Evan Johnson
Weather Guru

Re: 90L Lounge Best Guesses and Long Range Models [Re: saluki]
      #85983 - Fri Aug 14 2009 03:39 PM

thats true, overall, i think we are looking at our first cane. and i think thats whats sparking these models up. its fairly impressive at its current stage.

weathernet
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Elsewhere
      #85986 - Fri Aug 14 2009 04:45 PM

Well, ok....., i'll play. Though the limb that i'll crawl out on right now will remain a rather short 60hr. one.

Overnight this evening ( Fri ), we'll see "ex-02" maintain its overall structure, and continue to fight off slowly ( and slightly decreasing ) easterly shear. Banding features to become a little more distinct. Tomorrow ( Sat. ) will see even less westerly displacement of convection, and getting close to reclassification to depression #2. With loss of sunlight, and perhaps waning diurnal convection...., NHC will hold back from "pulling the trigger" and await first vis. satellite on Sunday a.m. Bursting pattern and lessening shear will lead to system being upgraded right to T.S. on Sunday.

Meanwhile 90L, which despite strong easterly shear, continues to organize and despite some dry air being entrained by its own large envelope system, will continue to organize slowly overnight. Tomorrow ( Sat. ), organization will be evident, but outside of cycles of convective bursting, most convection will be within banding features. NHC ponders consideration to upgrade to depression #3 during the day, but holds off. During Sat. evening, maintained banded convection near the center along with surface ship reports reporting seagulls off the starboard bow - flying backwards. Though the 8:00pm T.W.O. just released, Ships report prompts late evening Special Tropical Advisory & NHC upgrade 90L to Depression #3.

First visable satellite prompts immediate decision to upgrade both systems to Tropical Storm strength, however decision must first be made which name ( Ana or Bill ) to be tagged, to which storm. That, and given persistant 90L HWRF/GFDL intensity forecasts, which name would they prefer to retire given the choice.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#85994 - Fri Aug 14 2009 06:25 PM

18Z GFS is further south than the earlier one. Into the Caribbean and going over Hispaniola. This jives with the GFDL going further west too. 90L could wind up being one of those systems that keeps heading westward if the trend continues. I'll check again in two days to compare it.

Activity Behind 90L is interesting too.

Evan Johnson
Weather Guru

#85998 - Fri Aug 14 2009 07:17 PM

yeah mike, there are some models that show flare up of 2 other systems behind 90l isnt there?

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#86032 - Sat Aug 15 2009 07:52 AM

Latest GFS stalls the storm off the Southeast coast of Florida, GFS is still unreliable that far out.

With Ana and 90L following a similar track with the models, we could have storm scares back to back in Florida. I doubt both would hit, but it's seems likely at least one of the two will. I just hope they remain weak and the El nino westerly shear comes to tear them up at some point.

The thought of a double hit on Florida is disturbing, they would be mere two-3 days apart if the worst case were to happen.

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
Re: T.D. #2 - ......it's back again [Re: MikeC]
      #86090 - Sat Aug 15 2009 05:47 PM

All of sudden I have Bill Chill in Brevard. I would love to pick Clarks brain on this system. A shift to the left by 11pm or 5am tomorrow?????

(Post moved to a more appropriate Forum.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Aug 15 2009 07:08 PM)

Johncn

#86094 - Sat Aug 15 2009 06:57 PM

Just got a name....Bill...let's hope it doesn't live up to the major storm predictions.

My place is in Cape Canaveral, and I've just discovered this forum. Got done putting my boat in the Cape Marina inside storage today and discovered that Ana was not alone on the list of named storms so far this year.

Nice to know you guys are here. Does the board get pretty active during the season?

Johncn

Evan Johnson
Weather Guru

Re: 90L Lounge Best Guesses and Long Range Models [Re: Johncn]
      #86095 - Sat Aug 15 2009 07:20 PM

yes we get active come this time of year. while this isnt an official source (it should be) everyone here gets together and grinds their skulls to figure out best guesses and formulate general opinions to help give everyone an idea of how things will be. its without the hype.

i noticed something though. that NHC forecast from the previous advisory to this advisory shifted south to the keys. i wonder if thats going to become a normal trend for ana. and bill, i wonder if bill will follow the same path. while we should watch both closely its bill im concerned with. ana looks to be something similar to another fay perhaps. very small in size. a rain maker. ill be curious to see how bill shapes up. the intensity plots have been preety tight in the past couple of days for bill.

Johncn

#86101 - Sat Aug 15 2009 07:51 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm hoping that similarities to David (1979) are only superficial, as I'm not really all the knowledgeable about the forecasting models.

Regards,

Johncn

Evan Johnson
Weather Guru

Re: 90L Lounge Best Guesses and Long Range Models [Re: Johncn]
      #86127 - Sat Aug 15 2009 10:08 PM

well the latest spaghetti plots for bill seem to do a 180 from what they were earlier today. same with ana.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14969

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center