F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
BEST Cleaning & Disaster Restoration Services

Reged: Fri
Loc: Durango, CO
Re: E Caribbean [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #86870 - Fri Sep 04 2009 10:53 AM

Hey everyone,

I am new to the board and was simply looking to better educate myself on storms and their forecasting. I have to say the amount of information you all have accumulated here is daunting to say the least. However, since we do the clean-up work on these systems I am very excited to start leaning more about them. I was actually prompted to start researching this more since things have been slow for us this season and we have some down time. I also saw the story about the project Bill gates is funding that has patents on the floating barge systems that pump water from the bottom of the ocean up to cool topside temps. I know it is a bit off topic but do any of you think his idea has merit iven the scope of the undertaking?

I really look forward to learning a ton from you all.

~Pat Scales

(Post moved to appropriate location.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Fri Sep 04 2009 03:09 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
weathernet
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Elsewhere
      #86873 - Fri Sep 04 2009 11:25 AM

Pat, welcome to the board!

Though more accordingly this should be sent to you as a private message, will be brief. My own thoughts regarding Gates' idea and concept of pumbing colder deep oceanic water, so to lower SST's and thus diminish the "fuel" a tropical cyclone draws upon, has tremendous merit. That said, I do not believe the dynamics of forecasting, time of preparation, nor coordination and movement of assets could possibly enable such an undertaking to occur. The only theoretical way I would imagine it working, would be to have a preplanned point of attack, perhaps just off shore a particular island, or area off a specific point on land. Perhaps then, such "in-place" assets, capable of of cooling enough area surface water to a depth of at least a few meters, might temper an approaching storm to some degree or percentage.

Assuming a mean SST of perhaps 29C, even modification of ample surface area to a lowered SST of 27C( just under typical threshold temperature for formation or maintenance of an existing sytstem , all other surface and upper air conditions aside ), it would not seem to provide enough destabilization to greatly alter a particularly strong hurricane, or perhaps a fast moving moderate one. If such SST's could be further modified more significantly, than perhaps enough impact could be asserted. (MOD's feel free to kick this too a new forum or discussion board ).

Edited by weathernet (Fri Sep 04 2009 11:39 AM)

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
      #86874 - Fri Sep 04 2009 12:02 PM

I don't believe we should try to alter them at all. Tropical storms are a climatological necessity to help keep a global atmospheric balance. The best defense is good preparation.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Bill Gates Project
      #86877 - Fri Sep 04 2009 03:06 PM

Established a thread for these posts.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Colleen A., danielw, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4090

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center