F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> The Tropics Today

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Epicyear2010

Reged: Sun
African Wave
      #87518 - Wed Jun 02 2010 07:37 PM

Did anybody catch that wave that came off Africa? Looks impressive, and it is well south of the SAL. Wind shear is decent. Something to watch imo.

(Post moved to the approppriate Forum.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Wed Jun 02 2010 10:42 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hogrunr
Weather Guru

Loc: Spring, TX
Re: African Wave [Re: Epicyear2010]
      #87519 - Thu Jun 03 2010 10:36 AM

It was a nice looking wave, the convection has died down drastically overnight, but I would think it would have a chance at that flaring back up during the day today. There was quite a large area of dry air that invaded the wave from the north and caused the convection to die. Regardless of convection though, as noted by the NHC during this morning's Tropical Weather Discussion, everything else is in place for it to stay a tropical wave for a while:

TROPICAL WAVE EXTENDS FROM 9N21W TO 3N23W MOVING W NEAR 15 KT.
LOW-LEVEL CYCLONIC FLOW IS EVIDENT IN THE FIRST VISIBLE
SATELLITE IMAGES OF THE DAY. A RELATIVE VORTICITY MAXIMUM IS
NOTED NEAR THE WAVE AXIS. WAVE ALSO COINCIDES WITH A DEEP LAYER
MOISTURE MAXIMUM EVIDENT IN TOTAL PRECIPITABLE WATER IMAGERY.
SCATTERED MODERATE CONVECTION IS FROM 6N-8N BETWEEN 20W-22W.

If it can stay below the SAL, it is in relatively light shear (10 knots) currently, and would have a good chance at staying organized for a while. There is some much stronger shear ahead of it, but not sure what will be present when it gets to that point.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: African Wave [Re: hogrunr]
      #87528 - Wed Jun 09 2010 04:34 PM

kinda curious... appears the long rang GFS is hinting that things may become active around the 20th of June.. not sure if this is that wave were watching now over the leeward islands or not... or another wave moving threw carb. up towards the GOM... but it does seem like the GFS is showing signs that it may about to become active in the atlantic?

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Remains of Invest 92L [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #87592 - Wed Jun 16 2010 06:17 PM

At 16/21Z a weak low level swirl was noted near 15N 53W moving to the west northwest. All remaining convection is displaced well to the east by the strong windshear.
ED

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Remains of Invest 92L [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #87596 - Thu Jun 17 2010 04:21 PM

At 17/18Z the low-level swirl of Invest 92L was still evident near 16.0N 58.6W moving to the west to west northwest at 15mph. Convection has maintained throughout the day and is now aligned with the eastern quadrant of the swirl. The system is in the middle of the shear zone and as long as the general movement remains to the west northwest, the system will remain in the shear zone for at least two more days. Squally weather likely in the Leeward Islands tonight and tomorrow.
ED

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
Re: Remains of Invest 92L [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #87702 - Thu Jun 24 2010 05:15 PM

What about the wave moving off Africa this afternoon CFHC mets, anything to it ?

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
East of the Lewards [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #87726 - Fri Jun 25 2010 10:34 AM

Nice area of convection out east of the Lewards, any chance of it getting into the Bahamas 2-3 days from now? Doesn`t seem to be moving that quickly on a NW direction. Maybe a fish spinner.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5852

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center