F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2010 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
weathernet
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Elsewhere
97L soon to be Bonnie?
      #88217 - Tue Jul 20 2010 02:05 PM

Looking at this morning's satellite and radar evolution of 97L, a case can certainly be made for heightened concern for this systems continued development and future motion. Add the increased model support and one cannot help but more than simply raise an eyebrow, especially in light of general proximity to the Bahamas, Cuba, and Florida. Less scientific, yet something that I have personally taken note of over the many years of chasing and tracking hurricanes, is an anomaly that I've seen repeated many times over the years. Quite often I have noticed an approximate 30 day cycle ( often in conjunction with the various new or full moon phases ) with regard to tropical cyclogenisis. Given Alex's development last month, I was somewhat anticipating the development of another tropical system around the 24th of this month. Of course, we no doubt have climatology working in 97L's favor, and our Atlantic season would typically see a "ramp up" of activity right around now.

All this said, I don't think it is going that much out on a limb to anticipate NHC bumping up 97L's chance for development to perhaps 50-60%, at the 2:00pm TWO today. Providing we see continued organization throughout the day, I would expect perhaps a heightened concern by NHC and the media by late this evening. Given the recent increased bursting of the convection on the systems east side and general radar presentation, we might start seeing somewhat more impressive pressure falls by later today. In this current formative state, and provided that some "deepening" might occur later today and tonight, I would doubt as much westward ( or WNW ) motion would occur as most models have depicted in the short term. Given the 594mb pressures at the mid levels, seemingly anchored over the S.E. U.S., and bridging eastward, I would not imagine an already developing depression ( or storm ) would tend to gain quite as much latitude as many of this mornings models have indicated. For the moment, there would seem to be a shear axis not too far west of 97L, yet this southern edge of the TUTT might be cutting off into what might be a westward moving low, and longer term 200mb from 12Z today seem to have general ridging over Florida.

For the moment, and from the still somewhat "weak limb" I am hanging onto, I am projecting 97L to slowly develop in the near term ( out to 36 hours ), while attaining Tropical Depression status between mid morning and early afternoon tomorrow ( conveniently when recon is scheduled to be present ). I would anticipate shorter term motion to be more westward than northwestward, and motion to threaten eventual direct impact to the Florida Keys ( or perhaps passing just south of ) sometime midday or late Saturday. My big concern would be if should such a scenario were to play out, but given the considerably warmer waters further west ( throughout the Western Bahamas and around Florida ), AND dependent on how soon any well developed anticyclone that might develop over the system, and suddenly the potential for a more significant hurricane impact might exist.

For the moment am anticipating that a Cat. 1 - Cat. 2 Hurricane will be threatening the Florida Keys and Florida Straights on late Saturday. Beyond there, would anticipate continued WNW motion until perhaps later in the forecast period when the anchored ridge over Tennessee/Georgia might weaken or edge eastward. Too soon for me to guess downstream upper air with regards to motion or later intensity, but my "gut" would be that later term risk might be more towards the N.W. Gulf, rather than the N.E. gulf region.

Best case, the models ( and I ) are way off the mark and a vigorous wave moves WNW. Worse case in my mind however......would have less to do with Bonnie, and more to do with what more intense August/September tracks might eventually follow a "quasi-establish" general pattern of motion.

(Just a reminder that 'gut feeling' forecasts really belong in the Lounge. Some good stuff here, but explanations of 'why' certain motion or intensity was expected are the elements that are expected in the Storm Forum.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Tue Jul 20 2010 11:14 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: 97L soon to be Bonnie? [Re: weathernet]
      #88231 - Tue Jul 20 2010 09:34 PM

I think what we have to remember is that the percentages is a predictive thing vs looking at it and saying "I see a CDO" and tho weak looking, many storms have problems pulling it together with weak upper level lows and proximity to land and then over the warm water of the Bahamas find their legs...

vorticity is showing up nicely and would say the chances are going up by the hour...or six hour period

jeanne/frances sort of storms show how much a storm can develop close in... just to name a few

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2715

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center