F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

Archives 2010s >> 2010 Forecast Lounge

Pages: 1
berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Opelika, AL
It is time to take 92L more serious
      #88720 - Fri Aug 06 2010 04:18 PM

Despite NHC not wrapping a circle around 92L; it is time to take this system more serious; there's banding and organization and looks pretty darn good on satellite early this afternoon. There is no shear to speak of to hinder it.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: It is time to take 92L more serious [Re: berrywr]
      #88721 - Fri Aug 06 2010 04:42 PM

I have been closely watching 92L this morning too. The Navy/NRL has put 92L back on the list. Depending on if/when it forms, we may have to keep an eye on it as the upper-level winds would carry it to the northwest once in the GOM.

Update: Looking at the latest ADDS Satellite here: http://aviationweather.gov/adds/satellit...g&itype=vis, I would say this is probably at least a code orange as far as the chance for development. Definitely needs to be monitored.

Edited by WesnWylie (Fri Aug 06 2010 04:55 PM)

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: It is time to take 92L more serious [Re: WesnWylie]
      #88723 - Fri Aug 06 2010 08:11 PM

Yes it does look like its trying to organize. Also looks like its headed for the Yucatan. The steering flow from there turns more northerly, and its not unheard of for storms to organize while crossing the Yucatan

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: It is time to take 92L more serious [Re: WeatherNut]
      #88725 - Fri Aug 06 2010 08:35 PM

92L is looking more and more organized. It may not be anything of note until it enters the GOM after crossing the Yucatan, though.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: It is time to take 92L more serious [Re: MichaelA]
      #88727 - Fri Aug 06 2010 09:08 PM

92L... wouldn't it follow the weakness to the NW... like the ULL that appears to be weaking in SW GOM? There appears to be no shear in the general area of the wave... which where its headed is like is an ideal location for quick development? If the storms stay tonight... i would expect them to increase before 92L gets close to the coast tmrw

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Jasonch
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Texas
Re: It is time to take 92L more serious [Re: MichaelA]
      #88728 - Fri Aug 06 2010 09:08 PM

are the models organizing this to a storm and is it headed for the northern gulf coast. The NHC isn't saying anything other than it is going to move onshore around belize.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: It is time to take 92L more serious [Re: Jasonch]
      #88732 - Sat Aug 07 2010 12:42 AM

92L is not likely to amount to much and it is indeed heading for Belize. As I mentioned in an earlier post in another thread, you can see for yourself what the models might be doing with a particular system by using the links at the very bottom of the Main Page, however, until the system shows some development, take the model output with a grain of salt. It has no chance of hitting the northern Gulf coast. Here is a link to the steering currents - note the blocking anticyclone over central Texas.

UW SSEC Steering Currents

The NHC projection seems rather sound to me.
ED

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Opelika, AL
Re: It is time to take 92L more serious [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #88736 - Sat Aug 07 2010 06:31 PM

Ed, you're annoying...you had to make me look at charts today. Okay, it's on land, no biggie and its likely to pay MX a 2nd visit. Two pesty ULL not reflected at the surface; one in the BOC, the other in the Bahamas and it isn't reflected at 850 mbs. That leaves a ridge axis pinched in the middle and I bow humbly to King Ed; he's right. Now, it's only a threat if the ULL doesn't move towards TX fast enough as progged; problem is, shear. Those pesky ULLs!

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: It is time to take 92L more serious [Re: berrywr]
      #88737 - Sat Aug 07 2010 09:53 PM

King Ed, that's good!

I looked at the Texas ULL earlier today and it appeared to be nearly stationary. VAD wind profiles are indicating winds from the SSE up to 17 knots from the surface to 9,000 feet at Brownsville.

Leading edge of the ULL is nearly feet dry at/ over Brownsville.

Edited by danielw (Sat Aug 07 2010 09:57 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5093

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center