F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Kevin
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: EC Florida
Found some neat hurricane tracking software
      #35948 - Tue May 31 2005 05:38 PM

For those of you who don't feel it is necessary to pay for hurricane tracking software(and I'm one of those people), I've found a website with a good program:
http://members.cox.net/jstrack/

I have already downloaded the program and I find it to be the most content-heavy cane tracking program that I have ever used. It even imports NHC updates onto to your computer via an FTP reader. Most free hurricane tracking programs will NOT do this; you have to enter the coordinates manually. Wind radii and track changes can also be displayed with the program.

The best part is, it is free.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Found some neat hurricane tracking software [Re: Kevin]
      #35950 - Tue May 31 2005 05:49 PM

It is a good "free" one..... I used it last season but I think it has XP conflicts. The second time I would open it... lock up! Re installed it and the same issue. If it works for you that is great!

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Kevin
Weather Master

Re: Found some neat hurricane tracking software [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #35951 - Tue May 31 2005 06:25 PM

Bingo...looks like you nailed it. I'm having the same problems as you are now. I try to open the program but it gives me an error that says the scripts won't run. I too am using Windows XP. Perhaps this is a frequent problem.

I might look elsewhere for hurricane software now lol.

Storm Cooper
User

Re: Found some neat hurricane tracking software [Re: Kevin]
      #35952 - Tue May 31 2005 06:38 PM

Yep! I am sure he will correct it this season... I just keep using StormTrakker... lucky to get a working copy this year I almost died last time without it. You can't beat it for the model runs!

www.starstonesoftware.com/eots/index.htm

..if you can put up w/ the ad delay EOTS is pretty cool and almost free

--------------------

Edited by Storm Cooper (Tue May 31 2005 06:41 PM)

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
      #35953 - Tue May 31 2005 06:44 PM

OK Mr. Cooper....whats almost free mean?...lol

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

Storm Cooper
User

Re: Found some neat hurricane tracking software [Re: FlaMommy]
      #35954 - Tue May 31 2005 06:53 PM

You just have to tolerate a few things...for 15 seconds

--------------------

Kevin
Weather Master

#35970 - Tue May 31 2005 11:32 PM

Quote:

Yep! I am sure he will correct it this season... I just keep using StormTrakker... lucky to get a working copy this year I almost died last time without it. You can't beat it for the model runs!

www.starstonesoftware.com/eots/index.htm

..if you can put up w/ the ad delay EOTS is pretty cool and almost free

Wait a second...are you saying that the trial version of EOTS doesn't have a limited time period? I installed it tonight and I actually downloaded the storm track for Adrian. The wind field feature is VERY cool..it looks like the wind fields that Tom Terry generates on WFTV.

But a trial period without a limit? I guess it should be more strictly enforced! After all, the guy does have a picture of himself holding a sign that says "will code for food"! lol...guess he doesn't need the money that badly.

spooky
Unregistered

#89115 - Fri Aug 27 2010 04:34 PM

Ok, you mention problems with JStrack and XP ... funny how nobody reported any of this to me, JStrack's author....
I work with JStrack on my FreeBSD system and on my XP laptop. I have never encountered any errors with it not
running a second time, etc., but it sounds like what's broken is the association between ".tcl" files and TCl/Tk's
executables.

Try this: From Windows Explorer, right-click on JStrack's autoconfig.tcl to pull up the menu that asks if you want
to open it, open it with _______ (whatever), etc., etc..... Select the "Open With ___" and from there, go to
C:/Tcl/bin/ and select wish84.exe. Before you actually run anything, tell Windows to use this program every time.

Also, note: if you're using TCl/Tk versions other than version 8.4.x, I'd be surprised if it worked at all. Anything lower
will probably not support the libraries and packages that JStrack uses, and higher (i.e., 8.5.x) almost certainly will not
work due to changes in the TCl/Tk language itself.

I'm 99% sure that one of these is what's causing the problem you've described. Also...I just posted a new release (3.2.0)
with a windows EXE version on jstrack.org (http://www.jstrack.org/jstrack/).

And next time, please don't assume that anyone has told me about any problem you encounter with JStrack. You know
what they say about assuming anything......

Later,
--jim

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Colleen A., danielw, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9445

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center