F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 230 (Idalia) , Major: 230 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 230 (Idalia) Major: 230 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
ChrisS

Reged: Tue
Loc: Lake Buena Vista, FL
Questions Regarding ACE
      #89211 - Mon Aug 30 2010 03:37 PM

I am curious how the ACE stacks up now that Danielle has been churning for a while (and was a major) and with Earl a major and 97L about to do something. It seems I saw something posted that the ACE was around 25 and my question is what impact do these big storms, if they stick around for a while, even if out to sea, have on total ACE? As the number gets bigger, are the chances for big storms diminished? Is the ACE (accumulated cyclone energy) computed when the storm forms, or does its longevity add to the number? And finally, is there a limit to how much ACE can be expended? Or is the number/amount infinite? It seems improbable (but not impossible) that we could have hurricane after hurricane lining up. Seems there must be some balance or equilibrium point.

(Post moved to the appropriate Forum. Since I deal with storm totals rather than energy totals - I'll leave this one to somebody else.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Mon Aug 30 2010 04:11 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: Questions Regarding ACE [Re: ChrisS]
      #89384 - Fri Sep 03 2010 04:09 AM

ACE is computed starting when a storm becomes a tropical storm and ends when it is no longer a tropical storm (weakening/dissipation, extratropical transition, and so on). Longer-lived and stronger storms have higher ACE values, since it is a sum over all times of the wind speed squared.

It is a measure of what activity has already occurred and has little to no predictive value in terms of future activity. It is not a quantity that is 'expended' -- and, in fact, is not really an 'energy' at all. It's just a way of quantifying tropical activity by weighting longer-lived and more intense storms greater than shorter-lived and/or weaker storms.

Tropical systems contribute in a small way to the global energy budget, but we do not as of yet know why there are only about 90 worldwide per year. It quite likely has absolutely nothing to do with ACE, however. Controls on hurricane activity may arise out of other, truer energy considerations -- such as upper ocean heat content -- but again, this has nothing to do with ACE.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4663

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center