F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> The Tropics Today

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Western Gulf of Mexico?
      #89589 - Sat Sep 18 2010 09:24 AM

The Western GOM, post Karl, grabs my attention this AM. Development there, or will it move over land before anything significant happens?

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jasonch
Weather Watcher

Reged: Mon
Loc: Texas
Re: Western Gulf of Mexico? [Re: MichaelA]
      #89593 - Sat Sep 18 2010 11:48 AM

I see the big blow up of storms you are talking about. With the high pressure to the north I'm sure it will just move inland. It will be nothing

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Western Gulf of Mexico? [Re: Jasonch]
      #89594 - Sat Sep 18 2010 12:25 PM

It's apparently moving to the NNW toward mouth of the the Rio Grande. Surface wind obs indicate some broad cyclonic turning.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc:
Re: Western Gulf of Mexico? [Re: MichaelA]
      #89595 - Sat Sep 18 2010 01:32 PM

I think the NHC will highlight this area in the upcoming 1:00 p.m. CDT outlook. The upper-level winds should steer this disturbance toward the northwest rather than west, so if it were to organize which is still uncertain it would affect parts of Texas.

--------------------
2011 Season Forecast: 16/09/04
2011 Systems: 10/01/01

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged: Fri
Loc: Opelika, AL
Re: Western Gulf of Mexico? [Re: WesnWylie]
      #89598 - Sat Sep 18 2010 09:01 PM

It is an inverted trough AKA easterly wave. The axis is onshore; however all the action with easterly waves are generally behind the axis. It is reflected aloft up to 500 mbs but no higher; a ridge dominates the entire area at 300 mbs which is centered at that level about 150 miles SE of Brownsville with a small shortwave moving west to east currently over central Texas moving east. As you see on satellite there is excellent divergence aloft and one might think there's something down there with outflow aloft.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4780

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center