F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 212 (Idalia) , Major: 212 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 212 (Idalia) Major: 212 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2010 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Lisa in East Atlantic, Area in East Caribbean
      #89607 - Mon Sep 20 2010 06:29 AM

7:30AM Update 21 September 2010

Tropical Depression #14 was upgraded to Tropical Storm Lisa this morning, and is expected to stay that way for the next 4 or so days as it slowly moves around in the East Atlantic. This system likely will be no threat to land.

Another area, not marked as an invest, is worth watching as several long range models (GFS, EMCWF) are trending toward the possibility of a Gulf coast US impact. As it has not formed yet, it's just a general watch area, but it has a good chance to develop later in the week or weekend.

Those in Honduras and Nicaragua will want to watch this system closely.

The odds currently slightly favor it turning more northward into the gulf, and being a possible impact somewhere along the central and eastern half of the gulf, but confidence is only about 60%. It's the first Caribbean developing system of the year that the odds favored that vs going more westerly into the Yucatan (Which is also still a possibility with this). So this area will probably be the story for the next week or two.

Still, as of now it hasn't formed, and until then, just be aware of it and watch the trends.

Lisa Event Related Links

float14latest.gif stormplotthumb_14.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2010&storm=14 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Lisa
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Lisa

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Lisa (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Lisa (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Lisa

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Lisa
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on Lisa -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

Igor Event Related Links

float11latest.gif stormplotthumb_11.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2010&storm=11 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Igor
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Igor

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Igor (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Igor (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Igor

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Igor
NRL Info on Igor -- RAMMB Info

95L Event Related Links

float15latest.gif stormplotthumb_15.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2010&storm=15 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 95L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 95L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 95L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 95L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 95L

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 95L
NRL Info on 95L -- RAMMB Info

10:45PM Update 20 September 2010

Tropical Depression 14 forms from 94L in the far eastern Atlantic, the official forecast takes it to tropical storm strength, but not beyound. It is already moving north and likely to stay far out to sea.

Tropical Storm Warnings are up in Newfoundland as Igor will come close enough to bring Tropical Storm Force Winds.

Julia has dissipated, and is no longer being tracked.

Nothing else is likely to form until perhaps the weekend. The area currently over the eastern Caribbean is this next likely spot to watch over the rest of the week.

Original Update
Hurricane Igor moved roughly 70 miles west of Bermuda, sparing the absolute worst, but still causing a great deal of coastal flooding, and a lot of power outages and downed trees across Bermuda. The full extent won't be know until later today.

Igor is now headed for a close approach to Newfoundland in Canada, it should increase winds along the coast there, but avoid a direct landfall. It should weaken down to Tropical Storm strength today, and head to extratropical tomorrow.

Julia continues to weaken, and probably will be gone by tomorrow night.

The area in the east Atlantic (94L) has a good chance to develop today, and has a shot to become a hurricane, but should recurve well before any land.

Any other development probably won't happen until late in the week into next week, and the Caribbean is the most likely spot for that.

There will be a short break of no storm threats to land, but October has a larger than normal chance for activity closer to home than usual this year.

Bermuda Newspapers/Media:

BerNews

Royal Gazette (Bermuda)

Bermuda Sun

Hott 107.5 Bermuda Radio

Storm Carib Bermuda Reports

Bermuda Weather Service

Bermuda Radar Recording of Igor Approach (flhurricane)

Mark Sudduth over at hurricanetrack has a video stream from Bermuda

Another live stream from Bermuda

A new wave, in the far eastern Atlantic has been designated 94L and likely will stay out to sea.

Julia Event Related Links

float12latest.gif stormplotthumb_12.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2010&storm=12 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Julia
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Julia

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Julia (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Julia (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Julia

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Julia
NRL Info on Julia -- RAMMB Info

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Lisa in East Atlantic, Area in East Caribbean [Re: MikeC]
      #89612 - Tue Sep 21 2010 09:32 AM

The area in the East Caribbean is now 95L. Bam set is more westward, but the other models such as NOGAPS, GFS, and the Euro are more north. Odds slightly favor more northerly toward the end. Development is still more likely toward the end of the week or weekend, though. See the Lounge for more Model talk:

If you want to talk long range models, please use the Forecast Lounge for 95L.

Joeyfl
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: St.Pete,FL
      #89614 - Tue Sep 21 2010 11:32 AM

Yeah I discussed this in the forecast lounge a few days ago as the GFS and others have shown this for about a week now with respect to 95l. They continue to differ in strength from run to run and where it will exactly go as it has not yet got it together quite yet. But would closely watch this especially northwest Caribbean, central, and east Gulf coast as current forecasts from reliable long range models show deep trough developing in the eastern U.S. Its interesting to note as well that early runs of strength from the models show a major hurricane in 4-5 days.

Jasonch
Weather Watcher

Loc: Texas
Re: Lisa in East Atlantic, Area in East Caribbean [Re: Joeyfl]
      #89615 - Tue Sep 21 2010 12:44 PM

Could the caribbean storm be a threat for texas down the road.

WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc:
Re: Lisa in East Atlantic, Area in East Caribbean [Re: Jasonch]
      #89616 - Tue Sep 21 2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Could the caribbean storm be a threat for texas down the road.

Only if the trough in the Midwest and eastern states does not drag it to the north late in the period as currently expected. At this time, I think it is mainly a threat for the northern and eastern gulf coasts.

--------------------
2011 Season Forecast: 16/09/04
2011 Systems: 10/01/01

Owlguin
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
      #89617 - Tue Sep 21 2010 02:58 PM

95L upgraded to Orange and 50%. Models seem to be pointing toward Florida west coast or panhandle. Some bring it into Central America first.

DestinFisherman

Reged: Sat
Loc: Destin, FL
Re: Lisa in East Atlantic, Area in East Caribbean [Re: Owlguin]
      #89618 - Tue Sep 21 2010 03:12 PM

Very interesting comment about the heat content in the Caribbean from Dr. Jeff Masters. . .check it out http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1627

Edited by DestinFisherman (Tue Sep 21 2010 04:00 PM)

Troy C
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Satellite beach, FL
Re: Lisa in East Atlantic, Area in East Caribbean [Re: DestinFisherman]
      #89619 - Tue Sep 21 2010 03:18 PM

Fixed the above link

Edited by Troy C (Tue Sep 21 2010 03:19 PM)

scottsvb
Weather Master

Loc: fl
Re: Lisa in East Atlantic, Area in East Caribbean [Re: Owlguin]
      #89622 - Tue Sep 21 2010 05:18 PM

Don't go on models past 3 days, lets see first if this makes landfall in the near term.

Edski
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Tue
Loc: Palm Harbor, Florida, USA
Re: Lisa in East Atlantic, Area in East Caribbean [Re: scottsvb]
      #89624 - Tue Sep 21 2010 06:29 PM

Hi - been lurking since a little before the season started...did graduate met studies a looong time ago, and basically have been following things boot-strap since I moved to the Tampa Bay area 14 years ago.

So I won't say much...

Invest 95L makes me take a little more notice though. Most of the time I get that "feeling" it's nothing. But I'll watch this one closely. And it doesn't hurt to watch things closely, does it? And frequently when one watches things closely, one learns a little bit.

So I will try to learn...

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Lisa in East Atlantic, Area in East Caribbean [Re: Edski]
      #89625 - Tue Sep 21 2010 07:24 PM

Long range Model discussion belongs in the lounge, especially for a system that hasn't formed. However, this wave may be difficult to track and west or north is still a toss up. With a slight edge to north. But even that and especially beyond that is a bit much to say right now. This one is worth watching into the weekend for now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9714

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center