F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 229 (Idalia) , Major: 229 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 229 (Idalia) Major: 229 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2010 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
TD16 Forecast Lounge
      #89696 - Sun Sep 26 2010 02:28 PM

A weak low pressure system is evident in the western Caribbean Sea well to the southeast of Cozumel, Mexico, near 18.4N 84.6W at 26/18Z. Most of the convection is located well to the east of the center. The system is currently moving to the northwest, however as it develops better structure upper level winds should prompt more of a northward motion toward western Cuba. The system is under northwesterly windshear so only slow development seems reasonable and initially the system could take on more of a subtropical appearance. SSTs in the area are about 28.5C. Since the system appears rather weak, the current center may only be transient in nature.

Some of the models move a moderate system out of the western Caribbean Sea northward across western Cuba on Tuesday, over south Florida on Wednesday and off the Florida east coast on Thursday. Given the slow evolution of this system, while the track seems reasonable, the timing is still subject to reconsideration. If the system moves slower, a stronger system could develop. At this time there are no real indicators that point to the development of a strong cyclone and over the past 24 hours most of the models have backed off on intensity. Since the timeframe for any necessary preparation is only a few days away, this potential development area needs to be monitored closely by residents in the Yucatan, western Cuba and southern Florida.
ED

Edited by Ed Dunham (Tue Sep 28 2010 11:05 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
isobar
Unregistered

Re: Western Caribbean Forecast Lounge [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #89699 - Sun Sep 26 2010 03:07 PM

ed, thanks for starting a discussion on this potential tropical system. i think matthew distracted both the models, and now that he is out of the picture floridians need to concentrate on the very real threat of a slow moving tropical system potentially rapidly intensifying under near favorable conditions as it is drawn up from the south. the timing and positioning of this system may be perfect for it to suprise everyone and undergo rapid cyclogenesis before slamming the south half of the Florida peninsula as a short-lived strong tropical storm or hurricane next week.

CDMOrlando
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: seminole cnty florida
Re: Western Caribbean Forecast Lounge [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #89700 - Sun Sep 26 2010 03:11 PM Attachment (328 downloads)

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD
237 PM EDT SUN SEP 26 2010

A 16Z HPC/TPC COORDINATION CALL FOSTER SOME FORM OF TROPICAL LOW INTO FL LATE WEEK/WEEKEND WITH A UNCERTAIN STRENGTH/SPEED...BUT DEEP LEAD MOISTURE.

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged: Wed
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Western Caribbean Forecast Lounge [Re: CDMOrlando]
      #89702 - Sun Sep 26 2010 03:18 PM

pressures seem to be falling (or trending that way) all over the Western Caribbean at every buoy station I have looked at (only 3 working)

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

isobar
Unregistered

Re: Western Caribbean Forecast Lounge [Re: CDMOrlando]
      #89703 - Sun Sep 26 2010 03:19 PM

a moisture-rich air mass in the favored region for tropical cyclogenesis in late sept/oct, SST's at or near seasonal peaks, and a relatively low-shear environment...

Wingman51
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Western Caribbean Forecast Lounge [Re: WeatherNut]
      #89711 - Mon Sep 27 2010 01:13 PM

GFS (usually overly aggressive) shows an interesting period ahead for Florida and the Southeast coast - - 3 or 4 storms in the next 14 days - - Is it time??

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Western Caribbean Forecast Lounge [Re: isobar]
      #89712 - Mon Sep 27 2010 01:17 PM

With a front (or remaining trough) moving into Central/South-central FL during the near term, I'm thinking that the NGP 00Z run may have a decent handle on this - developing what may be a baroclinic system that rides up the trough followed later by another, possibly more tropical, low forming in the same area.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

allan
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
Re: Western Caribbean Forecast Lounge [Re: MichaelA]
      #89715 - Mon Sep 27 2010 02:56 PM

The situation is complicated, but the track is a no brainer. You have a nice trough digging into the southeast, bringing Florida a winter-like pattern. All that tropical moisture needs to go somewhere. As I constantly stated for days and days, whether it be Matthew or his remnants, eventually the left overs will move north. Though the complicating situation is the strength of the storm. Sure we have alot of warm water, but with so much convection and heat, it's going to be hard for it to really get going. Think of Alex.. Took 4 days to get going. I believe a weak to moderate TS will hit Florida in a few days, with a possibly more potent system for the Carolinas as it travels through the Gulf Stream. That's my thoughts on everything. I'm not ready to talk about the next system yet, too early to tell.

--------------------
Allan Reed - 18,9,5

isobar
Unregistered

Re: TD16 Forecast Lounge [Re: allan]
      #89716 - Mon Sep 27 2010 03:33 PM

one thing that is fairly certain with the developing scenario is that the east central coastline of Florida will experience a prolonged period of strong onshore winds from around thursday into and possibly thru the weekend. a coastal erosion event is becoming increasingly likely given the gradient between the low pressure areas traversing the stalled front and strong high pressure to the north.

i sure hope that several days of heavy/soaking rain accompany the low pressure areas as they work N/NE along the frontal boundary. as of today i have recorded only 1.69" of rain in september, which is on track to break the previous monthly low rain total (18-yr records) of 2.67" in 2008, following the 2nd driest august with 3.54", following the driest July with a meager 1.03", following the second driest June with 2.76". the last time it rained more than an inch of rain in a 24-hour period was on May 25th!

(You need to register so that those rainfall measurements can have a reference point.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Tue Sep 28 2010 11:06 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9064

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center