F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

Archives 2010s >> 2010 Forecast Lounge

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Richard Forecast Lounge
      #89909 - Mon Oct 18 2010 07:12 PM

It seems the vortex has stayed off shore as it has moved NW'ly. The models don't have this fixed yet. Increased odds to develop? Then what?

Edited by MikeC (Thu Oct 21 2010 02:52 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Invest 99L [Re: doug]
      #89910 - Mon Oct 18 2010 10:29 PM

I'm thinking probabilities of development will increase tonight and tomorrow if a TD doesn't form before then. There is a dry air mass moving across the GOM and Mexico with SWesterly wind, so I'd think a North and then NE track is more feasible if a tropical system does form.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Re: Invest 99L [Re: MichaelA]
      #89911 - Tue Oct 19 2010 01:04 AM

good observation

truth is many models had Paula hanging down in the Carib for days and she did not take that slow train thru the tropics....seeing as that was just a short while ago it stands to reason that 99 will not do that either, hard to say but there is something there... that would be potential

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Invest 99L [Re: LoisCane]
      #89914 - Tue Oct 19 2010 12:50 PM

Looks better organized this a.m. Seems to be rotating around a point near 17.2 N and 82.5 W with a slow NNW motion. Sat. presentation looks good enough for a TD.

--------------------
doug

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Invest 99L [Re: doug]
      #89915 - Tue Oct 19 2010 05:55 PM

It's looking a bit ragged today and seems to be mostly stationary near 17.2N; 82.5W. It may be another 24 hours before anything more definite forms, if it does at all.

Edit: Make that 83.5W - it's hard to find a definite CoC.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Edited by MichaelA (Tue Oct 19 2010 06:54 PM)

Edski
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Palm Harbor, Florida, USA
      #89919 - Tue Oct 19 2010 09:38 PM

I noticed yesterday that the 3 BAM models were scattered a lot, today 2 of them agree with taking the disturbance over Central America and into the pacific, the deep laymer model takes it shooting across the Atlantic...

sfwmd invest 99 plots

The NHC has it at 70% now

weathernet
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Elsewhere
Re: Invest 99L [Re: Edski]
      #89921 - Tue Oct 19 2010 11:24 PM

Well, it would appear to indicate that 99L has enough depth that the shallow/mid level steering is not primarily steering current motion. Those models currently indicate a more S.W. motion, yet it has managed to drift north instead. In fact near term ( or perhaps longer term also ), motion may very well prove to be an effect of its own further deepening and developing. Certainly appears that 99L is getting its act together; low and mid level convergence appears to continue to increase. Perhaps a slight bit of SW shear towards its western quadrant. Right now, it would seem hard to argue against the BAMD for its future motion. Quicker deepening will have Richard likely crossing Cuba and "touring" the N. Atlantic with time. On the other hand, slower strengthening might permit itself to dawdle around long enough, so that ridging building in from the west Gulf ( and/or a skinny ridge re-asserting itself over Cuba, Hispaniola, etc. ), would certainly seem to cause any storm south of C. Cuba a few days out to be pushed back to the west ( or southwest ).

October systems can really have "squirlly motion". Right now, I could easier see motion taking a storm towards the N.E. or S.W., I just can't seem to rationalize how this system would have adequate time to deepen, remain over water, then hang around long enough to eventually be a threat to Florida. Richard ( if it forms ) would need to be still hanging around beyond 132 hours, AND be in a precise position, to end up being in such a position to then move across W. Caribbean and then N.E.'ward across Florida. Thus right now the largest threat would seem to be the risk for torrential flooding for Jamaica, E. Cuba and Haiti.

weathernet
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Elsewhere
Re: Invest 99L [Re: weathernet]
      #89923 - Wed Oct 20 2010 05:57 AM

By satellite appearance, it is my guess is that recon will find a slight drop in pressure ( 1007mb perhaps? ) and we'll have NHC classifying our next T.D. by daybreak. Would not be surprised to have further upgraded to Richard by late in the day, all the while moving N.E. around 5-10mph

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Invest 99L [Re: weathernet]
      #89925 - Wed Oct 20 2010 12:08 PM

While the GFDL might be an outlier. The HWRF is close on it's heels. Two outliers is not impossible.
They are forecasting a CAT 3/ 4 in the Southern GOM for Sunday night.
GFDL at 935mb and 135 knots, and HWRF at 933mb and 106 knots.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/gfdltc2.c...&hour=126hr

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/hwrftc2.c...&hour=126hr

Edited by danielw (Wed Oct 20 2010 12:15 PM)

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Invest 99L [Re: danielw]
      #89928 - Wed Oct 20 2010 01:16 PM

Interesting two model runs, and in agreement with each other. All of the models seem to indicate a meandering system in the Caribbean in the short term, though.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Owlguin
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #89930 - Wed Oct 20 2010 07:10 PM

Models seem to be shifting to first head west, and then eventually turn to the northeast toward Florida; so from a personal perspective, I am hoping that it doesn't develop.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Re: TD 19 Forecast Lounge [Re: Owlguin]
      #89931 - Thu Oct 21 2010 02:21 AM

more interesting that the navy site has named it 19 and all night it has been explosive on funktop...

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc10/ATL/19L.NINETEEN/ssmi/track_vis/thumb/Latest.html

Edited by Ed Dunham (Thu Oct 21 2010 04:24 AM)

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: TD 19 Forecast Lounge [Re: LoisCane]
      #89934 - Thu Oct 21 2010 10:30 AM

What a difference a day makes.

Latest model runs have taken a northerly turn and now nearly all of the models forecast a track toward the Western GOM or The Eastern GOM including the Bahamas.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: TD 19 Forecast Lounge [Re: danielw]
      #89935 - Thu Oct 21 2010 11:04 AM

A couple of those models make me a bit nervous, but only enough to be aware and vigilant for the next few days. It is still much too early to put a lot of trust into the long range time frames.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: TD 19 Forecast Lounge [Re: MichaelA]
      #89937 - Thu Oct 21 2010 11:29 AM

Last paragraph, and more specifically the last sentence, of the Discussion is an early morning eye-opener.

THE OFFICIAL TRACK FORECAST HAS SHIFTED A LITTLE BIT TO
THE NORTH...AND IS HEAVILY BASED ON THE GFS...THE UK MODELS AND
CONTINUITY. I HAVE LESS CONFIDENCE IN THE FORECAST BEYOND 72 HOURS
BECAUSE THE GFDL...THE HWRF AND THE ECMWF TURN THE CYCLONE TOWARD
THE NORTH OVER THE YUCATAN CHANNEL AND THE SOUTHEASTERN GULF OF
MEXICO. I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF THE TRACK HAS TO BE ADJUSTED
NORTHWARD LATER ON.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/210842.shtml

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: TD 19 Forecast Lounge [Re: danielw]
      #89938 - Thu Oct 21 2010 12:28 PM

HRWF (link)and GFDL (link) this morning are a little alarming with the suggestion of a hurricane crossing Florida on the 26th west to east closely following the I-4 corridor.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: TD 19 Forecast Lounge [Re: MikeC]
      #89943 - Thu Oct 21 2010 02:35 PM

The GFDL is putting it right on Tampa Bay early Tuesday morning (late Monday night) with 100 mph winds while the HWRF places it at Punta Gorda at the same time with 80 mph winds. Of course that will change from run to run. If that track begins to be supported by the other models and becomes more consistent, then we begin to worry and start our preparations. Right now, it's just enough of an "if" to get my attention and put me into a "wait and see" mode.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
      #89944 - Thu Oct 21 2010 03:21 PM

Well, the 11 AM discussion indicates that the NHC is really hedging their bets on the future track guidance. I'm waiting to see how things are panning out on Saturday/Sunday for the time being. I'm going through my mental list some and definitely keeping a wary eye out on Richard.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #89945 - Thu Oct 21 2010 03:25 PM

Highest chances are probably closer to the panhandle right now (and weaker due to shear), but it's more in a flux than usual.

Owlguin
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: TD 19 Forecast Lounge [Re: MikeC]
      #89948 - Thu Oct 21 2010 07:11 PM

Big differences still exist between the models. Maybe it depends on how well the system develops? HWRF and GFDL continue to develope the storm and bring it north and east. Others seem to not develop it so much and dissipate it over Central America/Mexico.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22652

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center