F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

Archives 2010s >> 2011 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
June Likely to be Quiet in the Atlantic
      #90384 - Sun Jun 12 2011 11:19 AM

The month of June looks to be fairly quiet this year, with not much on the horizon, and one of the signals we watch out for is the Madden Julian Oscillation (Aka MJO), and right now the signals are very weak. Usually in June, the regions to watch out or are the Western Caribbean, and sometimes further east. Occasionally something in the bay of Campeche will form, however there is no reliable sign that anything will occur there.

Into July things start to change, and it becomes more worthwhile to expand the areas you watch closely, and mid to late August is usually when things really start to come together in the tropical Atlantic.

During June the updates will be less frequent, unless something does occur. But in all likelihood there won't be much to talk about this month.

Parts of Florida and northern Gulf coasts have been dealing with very large drought problems this year, and the NWS Melbourne recently shared a graphic that explains this well (Source is from the Advanced Hydrological Prediction Service).

http://water.weather.gov/precip/

Former NWS Meteorologist Jim Lushine has made the connection in the past, and it boils down to it usually signals a stronger Bermuda high in the west for the season which increases the chances (by about 50-60% from a weak Bermuda High year) for storms that form in the Atlantic to allow closer approach to Florida, but not necessarily that it will occur, the area can shift back east by August which would lower chances again.

In the East Pacific, there is Adrian (Just weakened back to a Tropical Depression), which is being discussed Here.

Edited by danielw (Sun Jun 12 2011 02:41 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: June Likely to be Quiet in the Atlantic [Re: MikeC]
      #90385 - Tue Jun 14 2011 02:26 AM

Has anyone been watching that wave off the NE coast of South America? It has generated a decent amount of convection today. Sea temps are warm, and it won't be impacted by much dry air; however, shear will affect it. Nonetheless, I think it could be something to watch over the next couple days.

--------------------
2011 Season Forecast: 16/09/04
2011 Systems: 10/01/01

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: June Likely to be Quiet in the Atlantic [Re: WesnWylie]
      #90390 - Thu Jun 16 2011 01:44 AM

I'm keeping an eye on a small area of so far persistant convection right on the Nicaragua-Caribbean Sea border that is moving northwards. It seems to be developing a circulation of some kind, about the only thing interesting I'm seeing right now on the convection loops for Atlantic Wide View.

WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: June Likely to be Quiet in the Atlantic [Re: MikeC]
      #90397 - Fri Jun 17 2011 10:03 PM Attachment (243 downloads)

The area in the SW Caribbean is looking much more active this afternoon. The area of interest is in a region of lower shear than farther to its north, so it is not being ripped apart. I was also taking a look at the SAL charts earlier, and there is no sign of dry air in the region. This appears to be the same area that the models take into the GOM by the middle of next week. I think it could be worth watching over the next several days. What are your thoughts on this feature?

BTW, I've attached a recent satellite image of it.

--------------------
2011 Season Forecast: 16/09/04
2011 Systems: 10/01/01

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
ULL in BOC [Re: WesnWylie]
      #90400 - Sun Jun 19 2011 03:05 PM

Early sign of an Upper Level Low forming in the Bay of Campeche. This is probably the signature that the GFS has been working off of for the last few days.
It should take a few days to work down to the surface. IF it even deepens that much.
Current surface winds are from the East on the Eastern BOC and Calm on the Western BOC.

This post borders on nowcasting and forecasting. Feel free to move it ED.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: ULL in BOC [Re: danielw]
      #90410 - Thu Jun 23 2011 03:05 PM

Interesting looking area just off the coast from Brownsville, TX this morning. Any thoughts?

--------------------
Michael

PWS

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Western GOM feature [Re: MichaelA]
      #90416 - Fri Jun 24 2011 11:25 AM

It appears, at this time, to be a mid level feature, or so small that the buoys are missing the data.
I've also checked the metars from the airports on the South Texas Coast and so far I don't see a wind or pressure indicator.
A drop in the pressure or increase in the wind speed.

Buoy 42002, the West GOM buoy is offline so we may be missing some important data.
There are ships in the area around 42002, but their data is delayed for security reasons.

Edited by danielw (Fri Jun 24 2011 11:31 AM)

Edski
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Palm Harbor, Florida, USA
Re: Western GOM feature [Re: danielw]
      #90440 - Sun Jun 26 2011 03:46 PM

some of that moisture is finally reaching the Tampa area. nice steady rain all morning today. on the sattelite loops it looks like pulses coming ashore.

I'm not as impressed by the stuff off the coast of Nicaragua as the NHC (they've got a 20% zone up), but 1) I'm not a pro, and 2) at 20% they don't seem too concered either. Looks like the upper level winds get a little hostile next 2 days for that system, and it's close to shore already.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10800

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center