F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2011 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Gert on the Way Out and What's Next
      #91296 - Mon Aug 15 2011 07:20 AM

11AM 18 August 2011 Update
The wave in the Atlantic is now being tracked as 97L, those in the Caribbean Islands will want to watch it early next week, and those in the Southeast, including Florida will want to monitor what happens with it late next week.

Speculation on the system can be found in the Forecast Lounge.

7AM 17 August 2011 Update
With Gert gone, attention focuses on the wave in the Caribbean (93L) which may have some time to develop before it reaches the Yucatan peninsula, it will likely be rain maker for central America, but time to organize will be short once it arrives in the west Caribbean.

The wave in the far eastern Atlantic still has odds that slightly do *not* favor a recurve before the continental United States. It so many eyes will likely be on this one next week if the convection in the system persists. The names for the next two systems are Harvey and Irene.

7AM 16 August 2011 Update
Tropical Storm Gert is on the wind down as it accelerates to the northeast into the open north Atlantic. The last advisory should likely come later today.

Beyond Gert, the area in the Caribbean (93L) was destroyed by dry air overnight, and it looks like it will remain weak, it has a chance to reform as a Tropical Storm when it reaches the west Caribbean late this week.

The wave currently off Africa will probably the one being talked about at the end of the week. Model runs on this one are interesting also, implying a possible threat to the Northeast Caribbean and odds favoring it staying more west than south. Strength of the overall system, however, will be the key here. This has not been designated an Invest area as of yet.

Original Update
After a bit of a crazy flare up last week, the only thing left is basically Tropical Storm Gert, which will pass very closely to the east of Bermuda later today.

There were a number of waves tracked last week, two actually developed, but recurved away (with the exception that Gert is uncomfortably close to Bermuda).

Gert has a shot at become the first hurricane of the season, even if away from land at the time.

What comes next? Well the air in the Atlantic remains fairly stable, and the Saharan Air Layer which dried up systems is very strong, so it appears Cape Verde type tracking systems are out for this week at least, and that remains a good sign there. Closer to home is what to watch out for, since anything that does form can do so quickly this time of year. (Indeed that is how we wound up with 4 invests last week, 2 of which formed into named systems)

Yes it is unusually to have this many named systems by mid August, even more unusual is that all have them have been on the weak side, and none yet (although Gert may break the streak) have only been Tropical Storms.

Places this week to watch for convection persistence, Just east of Caribbean including the eastern Caribbean Sea (93L), offshore of the Southeast US Coast, and West Caribbean.

Weather Conditions at Hamilton, Bermuda

Bermuda Weather Radar

93L (West Atlantic Wave) Event Related Links

float8latest.gif stormplotthumb_8.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2011&storm=8 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 93L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 93L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 93L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 93L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 93L

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 93L
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on 93L -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

97L Event Related Links

float9latest.gif stormplotthumb_9.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2011&storm=9 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 97L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 97L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 97L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 97L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 97L

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 97L
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on 97L -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

StormCarib Reports from the Caribbean Islands

Caribbean Weather Observations

Barbados Brohav Weather Fax

Full Caribbean Radar Composite

Caribbean Broadcast Corporation (TV/Radio from Antilles)

San Juan, PR NWS Page

Various Caribbean Radio Stations

DR1 Dominican Republic Hurricanes

Flhurricane Radar Recording of Martinique Radar (93L Approach)

Long term Central Atantic wide area Water Vapor Satellite for Hurricane Season Peak flhurricane)

Long term West Atantic wide area Water Vapor Satellite for Hurricane Season Peak flhurricane)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc:
Re: Just Gert Going in Mid August [Re: MikeC]
      #91301 - Mon Aug 15 2011 02:15 PM

It looks like we are seeing a re-emergence of 93L. Lots of convection associated with this wave today. The model runs for 93L have also begun once again. The NHC increased this wave's chance for development from 10% to 20% with their 1:00 PM CDT update.

--------------------
2011 Season Forecast: 16/09/04
2011 Systems: 10/01/01

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Just Gert Going in Mid August [Re: WesnWylie]
      #91305 - Mon Aug 15 2011 06:35 PM

Added Flhurricane Radar Recording of Martinique Radar (93L Approach)

Also 93L is facing a real monster of a ridge to the north as it approaches the west Caribbean. It's extremely likely this system continues westward into Central America and into Mexico later.

Edski
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Tue
Loc: Palm Harbor, Florida, USA
      #91306 - Mon Aug 15 2011 07:19 PM

the track models seem to have had this wave figured out from the start. the wave that just came off of Africa appears to be at a pretty low latitude, but I'm not sure that it looks vigorous enough to track anytime soon. my SWAG would be that it takes a similar track/evolution.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
      #91307 - Mon Aug 15 2011 08:06 PM

With that high anchored over the GOM, just about nothing is going to go there soon. It has been a very strange summer so far with low level westerlies controlling the weather over FL rather than the usual easterly flow. I miss my afternoon thunderstorms here on the west coast.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Just Gert Going in Mid August [Re: MichaelA]
      #91310 - Tue Aug 16 2011 08:53 AM

Good Morning
Dry air off the continent in that section of the SE Carribean is why it is designated the "gravyard" for budding tropical systems. the circulation is in tact and there is a surprising amount of convection filtering in from the north and east, so some regeneration may be possible from today out. I agree with the unusual run of weather over the eastern GOM this year. The pattern has held since June. I am also impressed with the relative weakness of all systems which have formed this year and find it unusual that we are at 7 storms and no hurricanes.

--------------------
doug

JMII
Weather Master

Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: Just Gert Going in Mid August [Re: MichaelA]
      #91312 - Tue Aug 16 2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

With that high anchored over the GOM, just about nothing is going to go there soon. It has been a very strange summer so far with low level westerlies controlling the weather over FL rather than the usual easterly flow. I miss my afternoon thunderstorms here on the west coast.

Excellent observation. Here on the east coast of FL we've been drenched by storms the last few weeks, all coming in from the west. They are not the "pop up" type of thunderstorms either, they have been forming in a line like a front. Awhile back there was even a small tornado in Tamarac which is highly unusual.

93L has a huge circulation associated with it but between it an Central America is pool of dry air. Interesting to watch all those little eddies spinning out there, but none of them seem to be able to get their act together. Gret is toast, just like Franklin before - both formed way too far north to even have a chance. In fact I'm still trying to figure out how Franklin got named, it never looked like a TS to me.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Admin Note [Re: MikeC]
      #91314 - Tue Aug 16 2011 10:48 AM

To quote a famous line from LIPhil:
"If the topic ain't tropic, your post is toast."

Just a gentle nudge to keep the discussion 'on-topic'.
Thanks,
ED

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Invest 93L Slowly Getting Better Organized [Re: MikeC]
      #91325 - Tue Aug 16 2011 11:39 PM

There is a hint of a developing circulation at some level near 15N 71W at 16/03Z. Movement has been to the west and should continue to be westward for a day or so. Steering current analysis from SSEC suggest that the system will slow down as it enters a col area in the western Caribbean Sea. An area of light southerly shear ahead of the system is moving westward and a large area of dry air is still evident in the western half of the Caribbean Sea. SST is about 28.5C so chances for additional development should slowly increase.
ED

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Invest 93L Slowly Getting Better Organized [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #91326 - Tue Aug 16 2011 11:51 PM

93L is located to the left of the center of the satellite image below. Just west of the 70W line.
Just east of Barbados a new round of convection has been firing up over the last few hours. It appears to be on the trailing end of the 93L wave/ trough. Strange to see something pulse up on the trailing end.

M.A.
Weather Guru

Loc: Vero Beach, Fl
Re: Invest 93L Slowly Getting Better Organized [Re: danielw]
      #91331 - Wed Aug 17 2011 02:37 PM

93L looks to be getting better organized. Banding is becoming apparent on the south side. Convection is starting to fill in the doughnut hole from earlier. It will be an interesting watch this evening.

Edited by M.A. (Wed Aug 17 2011 02:38 PM)

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Invest 93L Slowly Getting Better Organized [Re: M.A.]
      #91333 - Wed Aug 17 2011 05:33 PM

Recon was not able to close off a Low. No westerly winds, at Flight level, were found in 93L. Stay tuned...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10228

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center