F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

Archives 2010s >> 2011 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Tropical Storm Irene To Cross Puerto Rico Tonight
      #91431 - Sat Aug 20 2011 10:40 PM

11PM EDT Update 21 August 2011
They went closer to the TVCN and consensus with the 11PM track, but only marginally so. Irene may briefly hit hurricane force before landfall in Puerto Rico (at 70mph it's very close now). After that the official forecast takes it along the northern coast of the Dominican republic, and later through the Bahamas, with landfall near Cape Canaveral. The cone still is fairly uncertain at that range and may extend eastward or slightly westward. With a lean toward the east right now. Those in the Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina should continue to monitor Irene.

Hurricane watches are now up for the Central Bahamas.

8PM EDT Update 21 August 2011
Hurricane Warnings are up for Puerto Rico, Vieques, Culebra, and the entire coastline of the Dominican Republic.
Hurricane Watches are up for the US Virgin Islands

Tropical Storm Warnings are up for the US and British Virgin Islands, Haiti, St. Martin and St. Barthelemy, the Southeastern Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands.
Tropical Storm watches are now up for the Central Bahamas as well.

Recon has found higher winds and lower pressure in Irene, 995 mb, after taking off from St. Croix while the center of circulation was over the island.

Most of Puerto Rico will be on the 'dirty' side of Irene as it passes over tonight, it will be an extremely rough evening there. Those in the area should be prepared.

After this, the forecast appears like there is no avoiding Hispaniola for Irene, and that it will at least cross over the Dominican Republic, probably as a hurricane. It is very likely Irene will become a hurricane tonight or early tomorrow as the system has a very healthy core, even though the southern outflow is lacking.

Beyond this is still speculation, but the current trends, with the notable exception of the GFDL, suggest it staying east of Florida and eventually impacting in south or North Carolina. The official forecast still takes it through Florida, which is very possible, this depends on exactly how far west Irene gets before feeling the weakness in the ridge. Based on radar imagery Irene may be in the process of slowing forward motion, which would extend the time affecting Peurto Rico.

Those in the Watch/Warning areas, Cone, and all along the US Southeast from all of Florida to North Carolina need to watch Irene very closely.

Tropical Depression Harvey is back over water in the Bay of Campeche and is expected to regain Tropical Storm Force before making a second landfall in Southern Mexico. Tropical Storm Warnings are up for the coast from Punta el Lagarto to Barra de Nautla.

Added radar recording of Puerto Rico long range radar here.

8:30AM Update 21 August 2011
Tropical Storm Irene has entered the Caribbean, it is now just west of the volcanic island of Montserrat, the center reformed a bit further north overnight closer to most of the convection, and on Leewards/Guadaloupe Radar the position is easily seen.

There is a strong subtropical ridge to the north of Irene which will curtain much movement to the north for the short term, but will still bring it uncomfortable close to Puerto Rico, with this forecast they will receive the dirty side of the storm. After that, the official forecast calls for Irene to become this year's first Atlantic hurricane as it approaches the Dominican Republic. Today and tomorrow will be very important days for the future track of the system.

For this reason there are now hurricane warnings up for the south coast of the Dominican Republic to haiti, as well as hurricane watches for the entirety of Puerto Rico, Vieques, and Culebra.

The ridge remains strong until about Wednesday, then it may have enough of a weakness to allow it to move more northward, and according to the official forecast that would take it over Haiti and Eastern Cuba, weakening the system, perhaps quite a bit. However, it main remain organized enough to recover somewhat after entering the Florida straights, and by then it will have slowed enough to give it a good day over the extremely warm Florida straits, and therefore the official forecast regenerates it into a hurricane and makes landfall in south Florida (South of Miami).

Most of the models are in fairly close agreement, but only diverge near closer to Florida, some taking it just west (which puts , and some taking it just east (Which would imply South or North Carolina as the ridge is expected to build back in quite solidly). The consensus is right up the spine of Florida, and unfortunately, there isn't much right now that would suggest otherwise that it will likely be some sort of threat to the Central Gulf, but more likely for Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina based on the current position . We'll look for good news in that regard. The best news would be for the system to have enough land interaction that it never recovers, but the official forecast still calls for a hurricane south Florida landfall Overnight Thursday into Friday. Those in the cone will need to watch Irene closely to see what happens with the track today and how much land interaction it has. And based on the official forecast, making sure your supplies are in order in case the cone verifies is probably a good idea, and watch to see what occurs with the track. Current indications are that if it were to change, it would be to the east. Still the odds of recurving before landfall in the US are very low.

Based on the latest satellites and radar, it looks like the center is getting drawn northward more into the convection, which is not so good for Puerto Rico, and lessens the impact from Hispaniola. Based on water vapor, I don't see this trend lasting much longer, the primarily western motion likely will kick in pretty soon.

Leewards/Martinique Radar recording for Irene Approach

See the Forecast Lounge for more speculation on Irene.

Original Update
Tropical Storm Irene has formed East of the Leeward Islands from two recon reports in the area of the invest known as
97L.

Tropical Storm Warnings are up for: Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands, Vieques, Culebra.

Curaco, St. Eustatius, St. Maartin. Dominica, Barbus, St. Kitts, Nevis, Antigua, Montserrat, Anguilla, British Virgin Islands.

Irene is a large system, the current official forecast track takes it through the Caribbean south of the islands until Hait, but the northern edges may still receive Tropical Storm force winds. It then clips through eastern Cuba, and the end of the forecast period puts it just south of Florida. There is greater than usual uncertainty about intensity, but track seems fairly solid in the Cone. Anyone in the cone should pay close attention to what happens with Irene over the next few days.

The good news is that the current forecast keeps it at Tropical Storm force after it crosses the islands, assuming that occurs, a much weaker system would be approaching Florida. It's also fairly disorganized right now for a Tropical Storm. The bad news, as this forecast goes with the large assumption that land interaction is fairly high after 3 days or so. If it were to avoid land (especially Hispaniola) it could be much stronger, and the National Hurricane Center indicates this as such. Therefore, it must be watched closely by the US Southeast, Florida, and North Central Gulf coasts.

Leewards/Martinique Radar recording for Irene Approach

See the Forecast Lounge for more speculation on Irene.

Flhurricane Radar Recording of Martinique Radar (93L Approach)

Long term Central Atantic wide area Water Vapor Satellite for Hurricane Season Peak flhurricane)

Long term West Atantic wide area Water Vapor Satellite for Hurricane Season Peak flhurricane)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Irene Forms East of the Leeward Islands [Re: MikeC]
      #91434 - Sat Aug 20 2011 11:08 PM

Official track is out.... appears to take dead aim at Florida (the extreme southern tip of the peninsula)... although a recurve past day five wouldn't be shown in the oficial forecast.

Mike: The current forecast does not keep it at a tropical storm, actually. The 22/1800Z forecast is at 65kts, which is a Cat 1 hurricane in the Caribbean (before crossing Hispanola).

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Sat Aug 20 2011 11:18 PM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Irene Forms East of the Leeward Islands [Re: Hugh]
      #91435 - Sat Aug 20 2011 11:09 PM

Tropical Storm Warnings are up for: Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands, Vieques, Culebra.

Curaco, St. Eustatius, St. Maartin. Dominica, Barbus, St. Kitts, Nevis, Antigua, Montserrat, Anguilla, British Virgin Islands.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
      #91436 - Sat Aug 20 2011 11:28 PM

The official forecast is right along the model consensus (Well just slightly west of it), there is enough of a question factor toward the end to keep the entire cone (both west and east) into play, so it could shift into the Gulf.

The tricky thing is that intensity forecast, man, even 50 miles difference between Haiti or not would likely make a huge difference. The Hurricane Center is going conservative on the forecast, which is based on their own track and odds, so it's not too bad, but even they state in the discussion that it is highly uncertain. I'd keep watch of the trends over the week, if it were to affect South Florida it would likely be Friday.

For a graphic of actual probabilities, this is the best one:

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #91437 - Sun Aug 21 2011 12:44 AM

At present I would not obsess over the track taking it toward Florida.

First, this is 5 days out. In hurricane time, that is a very long period. Hurricanes are erratic and hard to predict past about two days.

Second, my rule of thumb on tropical cyclones: give 12 to 24 hours after a tropical storm is declared for model runs to do a good job with the tracks; give generally 12 hours after an significant strengthening of a cyclone to get updated model runs with the deeper storm. Based on this, it will be sometime tomorrow (Sunday) before we really get a good handle on the storm's track.

This is heavily due to the fact that model runs take time to run, with the GFS / NOGAPS outputting every 6 hours data ingested 6 hours earlier, and the GFDL / GFNL running every 6 hours base on the output of various global models. This means that the minimum time before the GFDL / GFNL shows a run that ingested the current storm data (specifically the hurricane hunter recon data) is at least 12 hours from now.

Third, if the storm does stick to that track, it will pass over the mountains on Hispanola. It will be substantially weakened by that.

Fourth, if the storm strengthens, and thus deepens, the track will likely shift toward the right, making it more likely to miss Florida (but not guaranteed), though that does open up other east coast targets.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Irene Forms East of the Leeward Islands [Re: Random Chaos]
      #91438 - Sun Aug 21 2011 12:53 AM

Hard to ignore it, obsess is a funny word. Pay attention to it...

A worry I have is that each system this year has been small and not amounted to much. Because Hispanola was a good windbreak for the last one, does not mean it will work this time... as history has shown.

So, it's important to pay attention.

Yes, a stronger storm would pull more poleward and be affected by frontal boundaries... a weaker storm might go west but that depends on other factors... the strength of the high, etc.

If I lived in South Florida...which I basically do ... I would stock up on hurricane supplies this week (within reason money wise as everyone is very budget concous now as there are school snacks on sale this week that could be used for the kids or picnics later in the week if the storm pulls north.

Either way, she looks beautiful on sat imagery. Very classic Cape Verde looking storm pulling together here, well from a CV wave ..

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

CDMOrlando
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: seminole cnty florida
      #91442 - Sun Aug 21 2011 03:33 AM

The current run of the GFS shear map indicates upper level winds will remain very conducive for further development during the next 4-5 days.

There may have been a center reformation from the initial advisory, to the NW and just east of the convection, as she is now north of the forecast points.  Imagery also indicates more of a WNW motion at the moment, which may become more westerly (275-280)  briefly, based on current steering flow. http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/atlantic/winds/wg8dlm2.GIF

If this is a true deviation from course, then she could spend more time over water, which could be the worse case scenario, as a shift either way in track too much will allow more strengthening.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Tropical Storm Irene Forms East of the Leeward Islands [Re: CDMOrlando]
      #91446 - Sun Aug 21 2011 12:12 PM

Not many postings going on here as in past years on systems... but sticking to Irene... the NHC has the position wrong. It's more like 16.8N and 62.3W.... it's obvious on Radar and Recon. Not sure if we need younger people to see cords at the NHC.

Edski
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Palm Harbor, Florida, USA
Re: Tropical Storm Irene Forms East of the Leeward Islands [Re: CDMOrlando]
      #91447 - Sun Aug 21 2011 12:26 PM

It looks a little more to the north than I saw last night, and certainly in the eastern Hebert box. Most of Florida is in the 20-30% chance of TS force winds at 120 hours, which at this point seems a little troubling. As Lois Cane said, it's time to get prepared, not nervous. Getting nervous never helps.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Irene Forms East of the Leeward Islands [Re: Edski]
      #91449 - Sun Aug 21 2011 12:32 PM

People should already have the stuff they needed as of June 1st, but they can always go to the store or recheck items. For people living on the west coast of Florida.. I wouldnt make any plans until Tuesday morning if the models show a florida or GOM track by then.. Keys and S Florida Monday night. We still dont know forsure where this will go yet.

BayCoGator
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: NW Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Irene Forms East of the Leeward Islands [Re: scottsvb]
      #91450 - Sun Aug 21 2011 12:33 PM

Is that an eye beginning to form slightly N of 17 and about 62.5-ish W? Movement on latest vis frames seems to be generally westward, taking it south of PR.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Irene Forms East of the Leeward Islands [Re: BayCoGator]
      #91451 - Sun Aug 21 2011 12:37 PM

No .. just dry slot.. which is normal.. pressure is too high for a eye ...

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Tropical Storm Irene Forms East of the Leeward Islands [Re: BayCoGator]
      #91452 - Sun Aug 21 2011 12:44 PM

Definitely the Center of Circulation, or CoC.
Systems don't normally have an Eye until they area near 90 mph sustained winds and/ or pressure near 985mb.

Current location would place all of the Virgin Isles and Puerto Rico in the Right Quadrant with respect to motion/ heading. Hence the Watches and Warning for those areas.

Edited by danielw (Sun Aug 21 2011 12:47 PM)

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Irene Forms East of the Leeward Islands [Re: danielw]
      #91453 - Sun Aug 21 2011 12:48 PM

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)
Transmitted: 21st day of the month at 12:28Z
Aircraft: Air Force Aircraft (Last 3 digits of the tail number are 300)
Storm Number & Year: 09L in 2011
Storm Name: Irene (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 2
Observation Number: 02
A. Time of Center Fix: 21st day of the month at 12:08:00Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 16°46'N 62°22'W (16.7667N 62.3667W) (View map)
B. Center Fix Location: 10 miles (16 km) between the W and WNW (281°) from Salem, Montserrat.
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 1,477m (4,846ft) at 850mb
D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind: 36kts (~ 41.4mph)
E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind: 33 nautical miles (38 statute miles) to the WNW/NW (304°) of center fix
F. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 43° at 43kts (From the NE at ~ 49.5mph)
G. Location of Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 43 nautical miles (49 statute miles) to the NW (307°) of center fix
H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 1006mb (29.71 inHg)
I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 16°C (61°F) at a pressure alt. of 1,529m (5,016ft)
J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 17°C (63°F) at a pressure alt. of 1,524m (5,000ft)
K. Dewpoint Temp & Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
L. Eye Character: Not Available
M. Eye Shape: Not Available
N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
N. Fix Levels (sfc and flt lvl centers are within 5nm of each other): Surface and 850mb
O. Navigation Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
O. Meteorological Accuracy: 3 nautical miles
Remarks Section:
Maximum Flight Level Wind: 43kts (~ 49.5mph) in the northwest quadrant at 11:48:00Z

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
      #91454 - Sun Aug 21 2011 12:55 PM

Center of Circulation can be seen here between Montserrat and St Kitts.

Loop may be viewed here:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/VAAC/DATA/rtgifs/souf/souf_ir4_loop_short.html

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Irene Enters the Northeastern Caribbean Sea [Re: MikeC]
      #91455 - Sun Aug 21 2011 01:10 PM

Based on the latest satellites and radar, it looks like the center is getting drawn northward more into the convection, which is not so good for Puerto Rico, and lessens the impact from Hispaniola. Based on water vapor, I don't see this trend lasting much longer, the primarily western motion likely will kick in pretty soon. That and I put emily in the title earlier instead of Irene, which means I didn't get enough sleep.

Edited by danielw (Sun Aug 21 2011 03:02 PM)

BayCoGator
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: NW Florida
      #91456 - Sun Aug 21 2011 01:12 PM

Thanks! Been a while since I've seen a TS sat image that wasn't lopsided with disjointed low and mid-level centers. This one is looking pretty healthy and symmetric this morning with good convection surrounding and close to the CoC.

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
      #91457 - Sun Aug 21 2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Based on the latest satellites and radar, it looks like the center is getting drawn northward more into the convection, which is not so good for Puerto Rico, and lessens the impact from Hispaniola. Based on water vapor, I don't see this trend lasting much longer, the primarily western motion likely will kick in pretty soon. That and I put emily in the title earlier instead of Irene, which means I didn't get enough sleep.

I was just thinking that myself Mike just looked at a 24hr WV loop and one will notice Harvey,sm ULL and Irene all moving W and it has been that way for weeks.It appears now how strong does Irene get and how much lift does the trof provide as usual timing

http://mapcenter.hamweather.com/satellite/wv/24hr/crb.html?s=640x480

Edited by danielw (Sun Aug 21 2011 03:03 PM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Irene Enters the Northeastern Caribbean Sea [Re: javlin]
      #91458 - Sun Aug 21 2011 01:51 PM

One of the bigger worries I have is that the steering currents aren't going to be a strong as some of the models are suggesting, meaning the storm will slow down more than indicated, so that the general turn north is less dramatic and more stretched out. Right now the storm is organizing itself and isn't really the best time to try to figure out the future path (I'm fairly sure it'll reform a bit north at the next advisory)

Very long term WV loop we've been running

Edited by danielw (Sun Aug 21 2011 03:04 PM)

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
      #91459 - Sun Aug 21 2011 01:54 PM

Well they blew the cords at the NHC at 8am adv... so they will move it more WNW... right now I see the LLC around 16.9N and 62.7W..beginning to turn more W compared to last night at around 275dg...probably stay that way for next 36-48hrs at least

Edited by danielw (Sun Aug 21 2011 03:04 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 29194

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center