F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2012 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Tropical Storm Helene Forecast Lounge
      #93147 - Tue Aug 07 2012 12:44 AM

A new Invest - 92L - located at 11.6N 26.5W at 07/00Z in the far eastern Atlantic has some potential for eventual slow development. Currently the system has a central pressure estimated at 1009MB and it is moving to the west. The Invest area has good convective activity. This system should take more of a southern track as high pressure remains firmly in place in the central Atlantic.
ED

(Title updated to reflect current status of system.)

Edited by cieldumort (Fri Aug 17 2012 05:35 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cieldumort

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Invest 92L Forecast Lounge [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #93150 - Tue Aug 07 2012 01:40 AM

92L is finally coming fully into view of our GOES-East, and those first couple of frames seem to show an impressive amount of convergence pulling together near the estimated center (11.6N 26.5W), but it is yet unclear if there is a well defined low level circulation (the next microwave passes will hopefully help with this).

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Invest 92L Forecast Lounge [Re: cieldumort]
      #93158 - Tue Aug 07 2012 04:25 PM

If I have to guess it would seem that the strongest vortex is at 11.0/34.0 approx in the most recent picture.

--------------------
doug

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Invest 92L Forecast Lounge [Re: doug]
      #93159 - Tue Aug 07 2012 04:51 PM

Having a regular floater up over 92L during daylight is sure helping today.

I can see a couple of low to mid level swirls evident in some of the deeper convection, and I agree that it looks like the center may be trying to reestablish itself closer to the position noted above (and within one of the most recent more impressive convective flares). Aside from these perhaps transient mid-level vortices however, a complete OSCAT pass from 1358Z this morning really showed a very promising surface circulation to be centered near 12.1N 30.2W at that time. (LINK) Extrapolating that out several hours might suggest that whatever is left of this earlier bona fide LLC could now be closer to 12.5N 32.5W (maybe). Looks like we may need another good day or so to get a better handle on what is really going on.

doug
Weather Analyst

Re: Invest 92L Forecast Lounge [Re: cieldumort]
      #93167 - Wed Aug 08 2012 10:55 AM

8:00 a.m. TD said near 12 N/35 W so we were in the neighborhood...the floater makes all the difference...

--------------------
doug

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Invest 92L Forecast Lounge [Re: doug]
      #93174 - Wed Aug 08 2012 09:56 PM

actually looking better tonight... not great but better.

has the same shape ...elongated tail that curves around ahead of it and bends off the top as the wave over Africa

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

weatherhead
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Florida
Re: Invest 92L Forecast Lounge [Re: LoisCane]
      #93176 - Thu Aug 09 2012 12:16 AM

Yes, 92L is definitely looking better as the NHC boosted it's chances to 70% tonight. The GFS has not picked up on this one. I wonder if it will fizzle soon and if this may be the trend to come? Best to wait and see if or when it gets it's act together then the models can do their thing....

--------------------
Claims Adjuster

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Loc: Opelika, AL
Re: TD 7 Forecast Lounge [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #93189 - Fri Aug 10 2012 12:15 AM

10/02Z - I haven't looked at the 10/00Z run but I have looked at both the 12Z and 18Z runs..currently there's a break between the Cape Verde/African Upper Ridge and the Bermuda Ridge and for a while the Cape Verde ridge follow along the system but the anomalously deep cutoff low over the Great Lakes region is impressive to say the least with an extending long wave trough all the way to the Gulf Coast. The break appears to be in the vicinity of 56W longtitude and the westerlies take quite the dip. Florence is DOA with the long wave trough in place over the Eastern US and if it were to survive it would have a date with recurvature nevertheless. Any tropical activity has to stay right along 10N latitude to have any shot at getting across the AO. The models have been consistent for days bringing Ernesto back from the dead in the Pacific.

(This post was edited in the main forum, but posted in its entirety in the "lounge"...we affectionately call it the 5 day rule)

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Loc: Opelika, AL
Re: TD 7 Forecast Lounge [Re: berrywr]
      #93190 - Fri Aug 10 2012 12:19 AM

10/0415Z - Looked at the 10/00Z package...the African wave continues to likely be a "fish" storm...blame Ed, he coined that phrase. A break between the Bermuda and Cape Verde upper ridges and the westerlies along the eastern US will be somewhat suppressed southward in the middle and long range. The storm to watch is TD7; it's the only system south enough to be pulled into the GOM given the upper air pattern next several days.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

mikethewreck
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Treasure Coast FL
Re: TD 7 Forecast Lounge [Re: berrywr]
      #93194 - Fri Aug 10 2012 11:50 AM

Is it me or has SAL/dry air been smothering TD7 all through its journey westward? And it looks like 93L may face the same SAL/dry air gauntlet. And Florence too looks like was wiped out that same way.

Is there a break in the dry air/SAL pattern likely soon? I guess we should hope the answer is no to keep the storms from intensifying.

--------------------
Earliest memory Hurricane Cleo!
Went under Hurricane Gloria!

doug
Weather Analyst

Re: TD 7 Forecast Lounge [Re: mikethewreck]
      #93197 - Sat Aug 11 2012 08:20 AM

it is the persistent SW'ly shear that is hindering development.

--------------------
doug

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: TD 7 Forecast Lounge [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #93199 - Sat Aug 11 2012 11:07 AM

TD 7 weakens and becomes an open wave east of the Leeward Islands. Blustery rain squalls still possible in the Leeward Islands this weekend.
ED

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6346

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center