F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 229 (Idalia) , Major: 229 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 229 (Idalia) Major: 229 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
mikethewreck
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Treasure Coast FL
Dry Air / SAL
      #93203 - Mon Aug 13 2012 09:12 AM

Is it me or is dry air/SAL really driving the bus lately for tropical development? It seems like every storm except for Ernesto (and he fought it) has been killed off by dry air/SAL.

(Post moved to a more appropriate Forum.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Mon Aug 13 2012 11:18 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
srquirrely
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: SARASOTA
Re: Dry Air / SAL [Re: mikethewreck]
      #93204 - Mon Aug 13 2012 05:48 PM

I have a much more complicated ? on this general topic...
It seems to me that SOMETHING, not limited to sand by any means, has been blanketing much of the west atlantic, gulf, and caribbean for the last 3 months at least. My habitual quick-take on the weather is NOAA's west atlantic RGB loop and there's a persistent near-invisible 'layer' that appears as SAL would but in all the wrong places. Around the time of the colorado fires I noticed 'it' streaming into the gulf from the north and concluded it was way too extensive to be smoke. Nor was the drought bad enough to be considered a dustbowl exactly.
All but transparent, palely yellowish in the RGB, with discernible limits and clear spaces visible, but extensive... AND substantial enough to diffuse the sun's glint (which isn't so observable now, but really got my attention in June)
So what is it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3021

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center