F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

Archives 2010s >> 2013 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Last Advisory Written on Barbara
      #94312 - Wed May 29 2013 11:29 AM

4:00 PM CDT May 30 Update
Barbara's surface circulation is no longer sufficient to qualify the system as a tropical cyclone, and the last advisory on TD Barbara has been written.

The remnant circulation associated with former Hurricane Barbara is now visible on high res satellite continuing north into the Gulf of Mexico.

Convection over x Barbara continues to wax and wane, and with the disturbance back over warm waters and under net effective shear running less than 20 knots, it is somewhat possible that it becomes the impetus for a new tropical cyclone. Should this occur, it would now be given an Atlantic number/name, being that the last advisory on eastern Pacific Barbara has been written.

Ciel

7:00 AM CDT May 30 Update
Nothing new with Barbara as of now, even if it does survive the crossing into the Bay of Campeche, the strong shear there should keep much from occurring. Discussion of Barbara and its crossing or remnants can be found in the Forecast Lounge.

Tropical Depression Barbara is moving from the Eastern Pacific hurricane Basin into the Bay of Campeche in the Gulf of Mexico, if it survives it will maintain itself into the Atlantic basin, and would maintain the name Barbara, which would be a first. The Atlantic naming still will start with Andrea when a storm forms there. Shear in the bay of Campeche is high, and will likely keep Barbara weak and from doing much more than some rainfall, the hurricane center's forecast is for it to dissipate.

4:00 AM CDT May 30 Update
Record-setting east Pac Hurricane Barbara has just about finished crossing the Isthmus of Tehuantepec, and within just the past two hours or so has shown strong signs of rebuilding deep convection atop its apparently still intact Low Level Circulation. If this trend continues for a little while longer, NHC will almost definitely begin Atlantic advisories on Barbara, making this system that basin's first tropical cyclone of the 2013 Atlantic Hurricane Season.

Shear over Barbara is running a favorable 8-16 knots, and looks to at least initially stay that way when the cyclone, or its remnants, first enters the extreme southern Gulf of Mexico (southern Bay of Campeche). Combined with very warm SSTs, moistening mid to upper levels, and a supportive MJO phase, it is also now very conceivable that Tropical Depression Barbara does become a tropical storm once again, with watches and warnings going up for the southwestern Gulf of Mexico.

In the nearer term, the main concern with Barbara is the continuation of very heavy rain, which has been producing deadly flash flooding, especially over the mountainous parts of the isthmus, and this will continue for some time to come whether or not the tropical cyclone dissipates later today.

Ciel

3:00 PM CDT May 29 Update
East Pac Barbara has become a hurricane and is now making landfall along the west coast of extreme southeastern Mexico.

An eye feature became pronounced today, and is nestled within very cold cloud tops. Just prior to landfall, T numbers out of SAB were running 4.5, suggesting the hurricane was still strengthening into landfall.

More on Hurricane Barbara can presently be read here, in the Other Storm Basins forum. Should Barbara enter the Gulf of Mexico as currently forecast, and become an Invest or numbered tropical cyclone (possible, but not forecast) we will be following its future travels in the Atlantic based forums.

Ciel

Original Update

The Atlantic Hurricane Season begins this Saturday, with not too much going on initially in the basin. Activity in the Atlantic may be slow for June, but likely will pick up into July and the best time to watch is mid August into October.

If anything were to develop in June, the most likely spot is in the western Caribbean, where currently a good area of convection can be found, but not much support for development.

Flhurricane generally limits ourselves to Atlantic systems, but of interest is an Eastern Pacific storm.

The eastern Pacific hurricane season started back on May 15th, and the second storm, Barbara, is nearing the southern coast of Mexico and hurricane watches are up, since there is a slight possibility that Barbara could gain hurricane strength just before landfall, as the system seems to be intensifying fairly rapidly.

A special advisory was recently issued raising hurricane warnings for the coast of the Gulf of the Tehuantepec, indicating Hurricane Conditions are expected within 24-36 hours. Those in that area of Mexico should make all needed preparations.

Puero Angel, MX Radar

More information on Barbara can be found at the National Hurricane Center's website

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Atlantic Season starts Saturday, East Pac Hurricane Barbara Makes Landfall [Re: MikeC]
      #94315 - Wed May 29 2013 10:10 PM

I know we've discussed this before, but it may be a good time to clarify it again. If Barbara maintains an identifiable LLC while traversing Mexico, enters the Bay of Campeche, and re-intensifies, would it continue to be named Barara as a Pacific storm?

--------------------
Michael

PWS

cieldumort

Reged:
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Atlantic Season starts Saturday, East Pac Hurricane Barbara Makes Landfall [Re: MichaelA]
      #94316 - Wed May 29 2013 11:04 PM

It's my understanding that if Barbara loses definitive tropical cyclone characteristics during its forecast voyage over to the GOM, its remnants in whatever form they then take would be eligible for a new name from the Atlantic menu should they help result in tropical cyclone formation there. On the other hand, should Barbara consistently remain a tropical cyclone all the way from the eastern Pacific to the western Atlantic, it would retain its Pacific name.

Per NHC this afternoon:
Quote:

SHOULD BARBARA MAINTAIN TROPICAL CYCLONE STATUS ALL THE WAY INTO THE GULF OF MEXICO...IT WOULD RETAIN ITS NAME.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Atlantic Season starts Saturday, East Pac Hurricane Barbara Makes Landfall [Re: cieldumort]
      #94320 - Thu May 30 2013 10:26 AM

This is an hour old now. But one can easy see that most of Barbara's remnants are feet wet, over water.

Moderate amount of lightning visible in this IR shot, also an hour old.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Atlantic Season starts Saturday, East Pac Hurricane Barbara Makes Landfall [Re: danielw]
      #94321 - Thu May 30 2013 02:36 PM

Can we get a new radar with animation over the BOC, ty

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Last Advisory Written on Barbara [Re: scottsvb]
      #94326 - Thu May 30 2013 11:11 PM

The short answer is 'no'. Here is a link to the Mexican Radar Sites . Note that the radar at Alvarado is not in operation.
ED

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Last Advisory Written on Barbara [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #94327 - Fri May 31 2013 12:20 AM

This is a new site that I found recently. They also have an android phone application that zooms in and is very accurate.
Notice that Florida and Texas have their own zoomed in maps. This comes in handy in areas that don't have radar.

Blitzortung.org North/ Central America view

Florida view

images courtesy of Blitzortung.org

Edited by danielw (Fri May 31 2013 12:32 AM)

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Last Advisory Written on Barbara [Re: danielw]
      #94328 - Fri May 31 2013 12:41 AM

Last light rgb satellite photo of Ex-Hurricane Barbara. Tiny spiral can be seen over the southern Bay Of Campeche. Vortice at some level remains intact. XYZ for the forecast. Left, right or straight ahead. It's drifting at the present. WV imagery shows a sharp boundary of dry air between the vortice and Texas.

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Last Advisory Written on Barbara [Re: danielw]
      #94330 - Fri May 31 2013 03:01 PM

It's getting very hard to make out but you can still see the remnant circulation of Barbara centered near 26N and 93.5W on the visible satellite imagery as of 14:15 UTC on the GOM Floater and firmly entrenched within that belt of dry air.

cieldumort

Reged:
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Last Advisory Written on Barbara [Re: JoshuaK]
      #94333 - Fri May 31 2013 06:23 PM

Joshua, I believe what you are following is merely a remnant insignificant spin left over most likely from one of those convective complexes that flared up around Barbara. Barbara is actually still relatively intact, and shifted west, overnight, and then more southwesterly this morning. Presently, Barbara's low level circulation and directly associated weather is back inland, now located approximately 18.5N 95.5W, and it appears that the system may be in the process of doing a loop, should it survive.

It looks that NHC has chosen operationally to follow this feature as a trof, and has expressed it as such in the TWD.
Quote:

A WEAK SURFACE TROUGH REMAINS IN THE SW GULF OF MEXICO ALONG 22N94W TO 18N95W

However, there is some understandable inconsistency among the various agencies. For example, xBarbara is also now being tracked as Invest 90L
(below).

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Opelika, AL
Re: Last Advisory Written on Barbara [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #94358 - Tue Jun 04 2013 01:45 PM

NHC did in fact perform an operational assessment as to whether Barbara entered the Gulf of Mexico as tropical storm and said no. That said, I'm not one to always agree with the NHC but I too looked at satellite imagery when they made this declaration and I can find no evidence at any level there was enough of Barbara left for them to classify 91L as "Barbara". What remnants of Barbara, you bet; but generally NHC won't designate remnants that regenerate from the Pacific to Atlantic and vice versa the same name. In the same basin, yes!

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5489

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center