F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2013 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: 95L (Central Atlantic Wave) Lounge [Re: MikeC]
      #94515 - Tue Jul 09 2013 07:36 AM

HWRF shreds Chantal over the Hispaniola. Remains are weak and move toward a SC NC, south of the Outer Banks area. Max wind speed for this run of the HWRF is 69 knots.

GFDL veers north before being shredded over Hispaniola and moves into the Western Atlantic just shy of the Turks and Caicos. Movement more toward the Outer Banks, NC than HWRF. But not by much.
Max forecast wind speed for this run is 96 knots.

The GFS and it's Ensembles right now are in an area from Charleston, SC to the western tip of Cuba. That's the Cone of Certainty area for the most part.

I'm somewhat concerned with the "Left Turn Chantal" scenario seen in nearly all of the GFS models and in a few of the NHC's model.

I saw a flare and hover, stall over the Bahamas area on yesterday's run. Similar to a hummingbird or helicopter moving up to a location and then abruptly coming to a hover. Easiest way to explain it. I'm still waiting on the next few days runs to come up with a better solution.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Owlguin
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Re: 95L (Central Atlantic Wave) Lounge [Re: danielw]
      #94523 - Tue Jul 09 2013 11:12 AM

Curious if the Barbados radar is new this year. It has provided the best images I can recall of a storm going through the islands.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: 95L (Central Atlantic Wave) Lounge [Re: Owlguin]
      #94526 - Tue Jul 09 2013 02:10 PM

Barbados radar went internet available online last year if I recall.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
      #94527 - Tue Jul 09 2013 02:25 PM

The midday (12z models) are having a bad time initalizing Chantal, and the extremely fast movement of the storm isn't helping either, so another round of mixed models that are mostly useless.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged: Tue
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
      #94528 - Tue Jul 09 2013 07:41 PM

How can a system look so bad,yet have winds of 65 mph?Very strange to me.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: 95L (Central Atlantic Wave) Lounge [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #94535 - Wed Jul 10 2013 09:33 AM

The present situation indicates that the Euro has out performed the others as it never really had the system as a closed low at all and allows it to play itself out in Cuba, which is likely to be the resolution, IMO.

--------------------
doug

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged: Tue
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: 95L (Central Atlantic Wave) Lounge [Re: doug]
      #94537 - Wed Jul 10 2013 10:53 AM

Now we have a huge flare up,could she be coming back to life?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/03L/imagery/rbtop-animated.gif

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

mikethewreck
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Treasure Coast FL
Re: 95L (Central Atlantic Wave) Lounge [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #94539 - Wed Jul 10 2013 11:39 AM

I've been watching her closely all morning and each time I look at her she looks stronger. Not surprised to see recon still supporting TS status. It looks like the bulk of the circulation may skirt south of Hispaniola but I'm sure the mountains will still affect her somewhat. Chantal has proven to be a resilient storm that I'm sure will be looked at closely after this season is over to try and understand the dynamics that kept her going. There are still future land interactions ahead of her on the forecast track (some high spots in the part of Cuba she is projected to go over) but at her speed it doesn't seem like she is sticking around any one place long enough to get bent out of shape by terrain.

One factor that has concerned me is the ULL in the Bahamas that seems to have been meandering about off the Florida coast for some time. Is it indicative that once Chantal "turns the corner" and slips out from under the ridge that she may stall in the Florida Straits?

--------------------
Earliest memory Hurricane Cleo!
Went under Hurricane Gloria!

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: 95L (Central Atlantic Wave) Lounge [Re: mikethewreck]
      #94540 - Wed Jul 10 2013 12:29 PM

I expected it to be gone, but...The TUTT is the main feature now influencing the progress of the system. It has been meandering westerly for days and that motion seems to be continuing and it is slow. The TUTT has generated a general cyclonic flow effecting from South Florida and almost all of the north western Carribean, and the system should follow an upper level trough that extends from SE Florida over eastern Cuba to the north west and north,,,The TUTT is generating westerly shear as the system moves to the west.
The persistence of a vortex in the face of several obstacles should be of concern, IMO, because if the system does slide NW to N and the effects of shear lessen and it then slows in forward motion, it could have a future if the vortex is not interdicted by interaction with land...
The current WV picture suggests the system could avoid a great deal of land interaction by passing through between Haiti and Cuba if the upper trough catches it...
We should not take our eyes off it...

--------------------
doug

mikethewreck
Weather Hobbyist

Re: 95L (Central Atlantic Wave) Lounge [Re: doug]
      #94548 - Thu Jul 11 2013 11:40 AM

Am I wrong or has Chantal broken in two, one section firing up storms over E Cuba and the other part continuing her sprint northward? Is the ULL north and east of the northern section at work in this?

--------------------

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Loc: Plant City, Florida
      #94549 - Thu Jul 11 2013 11:51 AM

Ed just made this observation in the "Chantal no longer" thread. It sure looks like her energy has continued moving westward to between Jamaica and Cuba while the convection has blows off to the north and begun to dissipate and disperse. Still in a high sheer environment but that flare up may be past the worst of it....bears watching.

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2023 Season Prediction: 17/6/2

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: 95L (Central Atlantic Wave) Lounge [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #94550 - Thu Jul 11 2013 12:33 PM

I see a couple of interesting areas in association with the remnants of this system. There appear to be two weak areas of rotation, one centered near 19N and 73.5W and the other centered near 24N and 74W. The latter looks like it might be developing. Then there is the convection bloom near 20N and 77W.

mikethewreck
Weather Hobbyist

Re: 95L (Central Atlantic Wave) Lounge [Re: JoshuaK]
      #94556 - Sat Jul 13 2013 02:28 PM

Question: I've been watching the remnants of Chantal and it seems like every day whenever the remnants are near a land mass (i.e. Cuba, Central America, etc.) a row of storms seems to blow up all of the sudden (like what Florida is experiencing right now). Is this the sea breeze front interacting with the energy from the remnants of Chantal?

--------------------

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
      #94557 - Sat Jul 13 2013 11:54 PM

Actually, the amount of energy associated with the remnants of Chantal is quiet low - which is one of the reasons why the probability for redevelopment is also quite low. But never-the-less you have asked a good question. The warming of the land during the day is what drives the sea breeze and, as the remnants have drifted north, a high level of tropical moisture has moved north over the land masses that you mentioned (when one thinks of the tropics or the sub-tropics its hard to conjure up an image of even higher moisture content - but it indeed does happen). The higher precipitable water values along with the heat of Summer and the sea breeze interactions all produce a higher than normal concentration of daytime convective activity that declines in the later evening hours as the heat source is lost and the atmosphere stabilizes.
ED

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16664

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center