F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
surfly

Reged: Mon
Loc: BEACHOUSE Lat. 28.00'59'79 ...
Home Weather Stations
      #94660 - Tue Aug 13 2013 01:54 PM

I want to install a weather station at my oceanfront home of 33 years. I have been researching and am familiar with all the major players in the industry. The air here on the central Florida East coast is EXTREMELY corrosive to metals especially ferrous metals. The UV's are also a consideration for plastics. For those of you out there who have already had experiences with stations I would most sincerely appreciate your advice on which equipment you would recommend. Thank you for your responses. Surfly

(Post moved to the appropriate Forum.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Tue Aug 13 2013 06:38 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rubber Ducky
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Cocoa Beach, FL
Re: Home Weather Stations [Re: surfly]
      #94668 - Wed Aug 14 2013 06:23 AM

In Cocoa Beach. I've had two Davis Vantage stations. The first was wired, not a good solution. The next was their Vantage Pro 2 wireless, which served well for many years, even surviving being blown off the roof in Jeane. Recently it started acting up and the price to fix the anemometer made me check out what's new. I've stayed with Davis, but went to their new and cheaper/simpler model, the Vantage Vue. Wireless, u-bolt and two-nut installation, flawless performance, no reception problems anywhere in the house. I recommend it without hesitation.

The Vue integrates everything into one module, no separate rain bucket. Slick and bombproof.

If you'll be mounting this where it's hard to get to, suggest cut a circle of fiberglass screening and epoxy it into the wide end of the rain bucket. Does much better than the little screen that comes with the unit to keep debris from clogging the works.

The data-display console from my earlier system also works with the Vue, so I have two download/data stations running off the same rooftop sensor.

All of the Davis datalogger software works with the Vue same-same their bigger system.

Davis tech people are very responsive.

Had to come up with a mounting system that wouldn't rust. Ended up with an antenna pipe (Lowe's — for strength) inside a PVC pipe to keep it out of the elements, both mounted to side of house. Big enough storm and it might end up in Orange County but has worked well so far.

Vantage Vue. Around $400. Good luck.

surfly

Reged: Mon
Loc: BEACHOUSE Lat. 28.00'59'79 ...
Re: Home Weather Stations [Re: Rubber Ducky]
      #94685 - Wed Aug 14 2013 06:54 PM

Thank you Ducky. Your info is the best and most accurate to help me judge by. You are in Cocoa Beach and I am 3.5 miles south of Mel Beach so our environment is the same. I will keep in contact with you as time goes on and I have my system installed. It will be interesting to see the weather differences between us............Surfly

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Colleen A., danielw, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2406

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center