F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2014 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Tropical Depression Four Forms near Turks and Caicos
      #95240 - Sat Aug 23 2014 07:17 AM

9:30 PM EDT 23 August 2014 Update

Recon managed to find enough of a circulation to classify the low area as a depression with 35MPH winds.

And thusly also setting up the stage for Tropical Storm Warnings for the Southeastern Bahamas, and Turks and Caicos.

The official forecast tkaes it similar to the Euro and GFS runs along the Bahamas and then out to sea, with a large error possible. The typical official track cone size does not increase based on uncertainty, it's always the average error for all storms as of late. So there is still a possibility for the track to change, as the NHC has mentioned it being a low confidence forecast.

The 3 to 5 day forecast is based on model consensus that had quite a significant variation so expect continual track adjustments over the next few days as the cyclone slows down into 'drift' mode caused by weak steering currents. This slow drift is forecast for some of tomorrow and all of Monday.

However, everything as it stands currently odds really do favor the official track, so I can't think of a reason to not take it right now, except that it depends on how the actual storm progresses.

10:45 AM EDT 23 August 2014 Update
Recon did not find a closed circulation center, and with land interaction with Hispaniola, 96L is not likely to form today. Tomorrow is much more likely. Many models have shifted west this morning and are still split between a Florida landfall and out to sea (with varying intensity). So it remains important to keep watch through the weekend.

Based on the current trends, if it were to impact Florida, it would be during the day Wednesday.

Original Update
The wave near Hispaniola this morning continues to be somewhat disrupted by the island. The model paths have a wide spread, and overall conditions are hard to judge, as is the exact center location of the wave or wave axis.

Odds favor it remaining weak and out to sea, but have been trending westward over the last few runs and some of the fairly reliable models (GFS, HRWF) have suggested a Florida landfall, so confidence is low. Based on those, If the system were to make it toward Florida, it would likely be here during the day on Wednesday.

Recon is approaching the storm this morning.

For the future, several more reliable models keep it out to sea (euro, for example). So therefore until an actually storm develops, it is hard to say. Please pay attention to any advisories that the National Hurricane Center puts out, and pay attention to local media if something were to occur. Intensity is also an unknown factor (a relatively weak or strong storm).

If named, the storm would be called Cristobal, this is likely later today or tomorrow. Tomorrow is the better bet..

Keep close watch over the weekend. More speculation can be found in the forecast lounge.

StormCarib Reports from the Caribbean Islands

Caribbean Weather Observations

Barbados Brohav Weather Fax

Full Caribbean Radar Composite

Caribbean Broadcast Corporation (TV/Radio from Antilles)

San Juan, PR NWS Page

Various Caribbean Radio Stations

DR1 Dominican Republic Hurricanes

Cristobal Event Related Links

float4latest.gif stormplotthumb_4.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2014&storm=4 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Cristobal
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Cristobal

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Cristobal (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Cristobal (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Cristobal

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Cristobal
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on Cristobal -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Wave Near Hispaniola (96L) Still Up in the Air [Re: MikeC]
      #95241 - Sat Aug 23 2014 07:40 AM

Aircraft recon is around in the system currently, finding 1006mb so far, and the center, unsure yet,.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#95242 - Sat Aug 23 2014 08:25 AM

Recon isn't finding a low level circulation north of the coast, ~71.5W for the mid level, but the wave is still a mess because of the island. Development unlikely today based on that. perhaps tomorrow.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
      #95243 - Sat Aug 23 2014 08:46 AM

Still need to find this disorganized thru most of the day and alittle more W than the models if Florida is going to be hit. Maybe West of 75W by Sunday morning before the stall then WNW turn.

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Wave Near Hispaniola (96L) Still Up in the Air [Re: scottsvb]
      #95249 - Sat Aug 23 2014 11:21 AM

At 11:14 EDT, on visible satellite, is that an exposed circulation that appears at around 72.5W 20.3N?

--------------------
Keith (1988), Charley (2004), Frances (2004) , Jeanne (2004), Fay (2008), Mathew (2016), Irma (2017), Dorian (2019)

Personal Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KFLLONGW67

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Wave Near Hispaniola (96L) Still Up in the Air [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #95251 - Sat Aug 23 2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

At 11:14 EDT, on visible satellite, is that an exposed circulation that appears at around 72.5W 20.3N?

I can't find any real center, I've seen that but there are other areas that could take over. It will be a mess today, I'd drive myself crazy over trying to find a center right now. 20.2N 71.8W is another possibility.

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Loc: Plant City, Florida
      #95252 - Sat Aug 23 2014 11:40 AM

You really need no other explanation for why the models are all over the place than that there is no consistent center of circulation. Until one steps up and takes over the models aren't really worth the computer time they are taking up IMHO....My brother and family just moved from Ohio to Ft Lauderdale and I may call them today just to make sure they have some hurricane supplies since they just moved in less than a month ago.

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2023 Season Prediction: 17/6/2

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Tropical Depression #4 Forms Near Turks & Cacos [Re: MikeC]
      #95259 - Sat Aug 23 2014 07:20 PM

The following Warnings have been issued:

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* SOUTHEASTERN BAHAMAS...INCLUDING THE ACKLINS...CROOKED
ISLAND...LONG CAY...THE INAGUAS...MAYAGUANA...AND THE RAGGED
ISLANDS...AS WELL AS FOR THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS
* CENTRAL BAHAMAS...INCLUDING CAT ISLAND...THE EXUMAS...LONG
ISLAND...RUM CAY...AND SAN SALVADOR

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE
EXPECTED SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE WARNING AREA...IN THIS CASE WITHIN
THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

INTERESTS IN THE NORTHWESTERN BAHAMAS SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS
OF THIS SYSTEM.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4263

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center