Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Azores #96L fails to complete transition into a Sub-Tropical Storm. Elsewhere, weak low pressure in Caribbean may linger into next week.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 47 (Nate) , Major: 65 (Maria) Florida - Any: 75 (Irma) Major: 75 (Irma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2016 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Area of Interest - Invest 99L
      #96506 - Fri Aug 19 2016 01:43 AM

At 19/03Z Invest 99L was centered near 10.3N 28.3W with winds of 25 knots and a central pressure of about 1010MB. The system was moving rapidly to the west southwest and convection seems to be displaced well to the west of the area of lowest pressure under brisk easterly windshear. SSTs are about 29C. Any additional development in the next couple of days will be on the slow side until the tight steering currents start to decrease and allow the system to become a little better organized. The Invest area should move to the west for the next few days.
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed DunhamAdministrator

Re: Area of Interest - Invest 99L [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #96522 - Mon Aug 22 2016 12:37 PM

At 22/16Z, Invest 99L was located near 15.8N 49.8W with winds of 25 knots and a central pressure of 1010MB. Movement is to the west at 15 knots over SSTs of 29C. A general motion to the west is expected to continue with a slow reduction in forward speed. The system structure and convection has improved in the past 24 hours although 99L still remains disorganized. Windshear should soon begin to subside and some additional development is likely in the next few days - especially when the system nears the southern Bahamas. Interests in the northern Leeward Islands should continue to monitor the progress of this Invest area for movement more toward the west northwest as/if intensification occurs.
ED

Ed DunhamAdministrator

#96549 - Tue Aug 23 2016 06:03 PM

At 23/21Z an elongated center exists from 15.2N 57W to 16N 58.5W with movement to the west. Earlier a third transient center was near 18.5N 58.5W and the HWRF may have initialized on this center. The elongated center is showing signs of improved convective organization around the southern part of the system seemingly closer to 15.5N. Easterly windshear is displacing the convection to the west of the center. Weak tropical systems with multiple centers can change their configuration in just a few hours so nothing is yet certain regarding a consolidation point for 99L. Folks in the Leeward Islands can expect strong squalls with significant rainfall later tonight through Wednesday.
ED

Doombot!
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc: Lakeland, Fl.
      #96554 - Tue Aug 23 2016 09:07 PM

Typo

Edited by Doombot! (Wed Aug 24 2016 05:07 AM)

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Plant City, Florida 28.01N 82.12W
Re: Area of Interest - Invest 99L [Re: Doombot!]
      #96555 - Tue Aug 23 2016 09:19 PM

Facebook friends already getting a bit nervous from what the models showed at 6pm news. I am trying to keep them in perspective since a lot of the models still show it doing little to nothing....but when they pop that 'cone' up there. Watching with interest here in the Plant City Area.....

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2017 Season Prediction: 16/7/3

Ed DunhamAdministrator

Re: Area of Interest - Invest 99L [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #96569 - Wed Aug 24 2016 11:03 AM

The northern area of the elongated center just passed to the west of St. Martin and they had thunderstorms with heavy rain and winds out of the southeast gusting to 48mph.
ED

Ed DunhamAdministrator

#96587 - Wed Aug 24 2016 11:58 PM

At midnight Thursday morning Invest 99L is still firing convection over two centers - one NNW of Puerto Rico and the other over the Dominican Republic. Forward motion has slowed considerably. Consolidation for the past 24 hours has been on the negative side and the structure can probably be best described as a (complimentary) mess, however, since it has slowed down it enhances the opportunity for some eventual development and consolidation to occur. A significant rainfall threat exists for portions of the Greater Antilles in the next day or two.
ED

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #96593 - Thu Aug 25 2016 03:16 AM

3 AM EDT Update
99L now has a circular appearance and the main area of convection and highest cloud tops is located just NE of the Eastern tip of the Dominican Republic.

Checking the airport weather reports in the area there is still nothing significant in the reports. I did see a pressure of 1010mb at one of the airports but I didn't compare it to norms.

Large water vapor envelope surrounds 99L as evident in the photo below. Kind of a shield against dry air intrusion, but the mountains of Dominican Republic are still interfering with the internal structure.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6038

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center