Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Azores #96L fails to complete transition into a Sub-Tropical Storm. Elsewhere, weak low pressure in Caribbean may linger into next week.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 45 (Nate) , Major: 63 (Maria) Florida - Any: 73 (Irma) Major: 73 (Irma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2016 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
JMII
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Margate, Florida 26.26N 80.22W
Re: Tropical Storm Hermine forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: MikeC]
      #96876 - Thu Sep 01 2016 05:39 PM

Quote:

Mark Sudduth set up a storm surge camera in St. Marks, FL time lapse recording. St. Marks got a large storm surge from Dennis in 2005, and that made landfall closer to Pensacola, approximately got up to where the "3" is in the camera shot.

Been watching this feed on and off today. What is amazing is this 5 miles up the river and Hermine's eye is still 6+ hours away. Granted the water has no place to go except UP the river, but living on the east coast of FL a 5 mile inland surge is hard to imagine.

Location of cam:
30° 9'18.14"N
84°12'13.17"W

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced:
David ('79) - Floyd ('87) - Andrew ('92) - Georges ('98) - Irene ('99) - Frances & Jeanne ('04) - Katrina & Wilma ('05) - Matthew ('16)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL 28.49N 81.47W
Re: Tropical Storm Hermine forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: JMII]
      #96889 - Thu Sep 01 2016 08:17 PM

The storm appears to be either tightening up right now, or slowing a bit on forward motion, perhaps both. Neither is good. This system is bound to go right over Tallahassee at this rate.

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida 28.00N 81.90W
Re: Tropical Storm Hermine forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: MikeC]
      #96894 - Fri Sep 02 2016 12:20 AM

I'm watching and it seems to me that it is just about to make landfall in a couple of hours. We have friends that are staying with us from Mulberry who lost power hours ago..TECO is reporting that almost 15,000 people in the Tampa Bay area have lost power...yet we have only had a few rain bands come through...glad we have room for them. Having watched the last rain bands that are coming through the area - they're not moving as fast and it looks like for us - a lot of rain to our north. That's my last report for tonight. Stay safe everyone!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

cjzydeco
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Sebastian, FL 27.68N 80.40W
Re: Tropical Storm Hermine forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: Colleen A.]
      #96899 - Fri Sep 02 2016 10:08 AM

Has anyone seen any reports from any stations or buoys last night/early AM of sustained hurricane force winds (other than NHC official statement and that final dropsonde before landfall)?

--------------------
Lat/Lon: 27.8, -80.5
Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Wilma '05, Ernesto '06, Faye '08

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Tropical Storm Hermine forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: Colleen A.]
      #96900 - Fri Sep 02 2016 10:08 AM

During and just after a storm it becomes very difficult to keep track of everything going on, various media outlets friends family tends to be the best sources on what has happened. If you need to contact folks in the hit areas, use social media and texts as they can get through a bit easier than regular phone calls.

Hermine is expected to exit back into the Ocean Saturday morning and possibly hang out and convert to extratropical just offshore New Jersey next week, so Hermine's effects are far from over.

Strongest Winds were around Tallahassee and then along the Florida West coast,

92L has also been reactivated.

Prospero
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Gulfport, FL 27.74N 82.70W
Re: Tropical Storm Hermine forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: cjzydeco]
      #96902 - Fri Sep 02 2016 10:25 AM

I've looked at weather station data on Weather Underground and SailFlow and really the strongest winds and gusts recorded that I have seen are here in Pinellas County, with Indian Shores taking the top spot at with sustained winds between 40 and 50 mph and more than one gust of 78mph.

There are a couple stations that are down near where the eye went in and they went offline while having gusts in the 50s.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Hermine forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: cjzydeco]
      #96903 - Fri Sep 02 2016 10:37 AM

The Weather Channel had some of their folks in Tallahassee and they reported sustained winds of hurricane force. The Tallahassee NWS office lost their wind equipment in the eyewall as Hermine passed just to the east.
ED

JMII
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Margate, Florida 26.26N 80.22W
Re: Tropical Storm Hermine forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: Prospero]
      #96908 - Fri Sep 02 2016 11:55 AM

Quote:

I've looked at weather station data on Weather Underground... and they went offline while having gusts in the 50s.

This is what I've seen as well. I think most damage will be surge related directly along the coast. Hermine was just starting to get its act together as it came on onshore. The eye wall never full wrapped around so the core wasn't bad, but clearly the edges and the stronger bands had some hurricane forces gusts.

The risk for tornadoes and coastal flooding will follow the storm up the east coast thru the entire holiday weekend.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced:
David ('79) - Floyd ('87) - Andrew ('92) - Georges ('98) - Irene ('99) - Frances & Jeanne ('04) - Katrina & Wilma ('05) - Matthew ('16)

cieldumort

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx 30.40N 97.80W
Re: Tropical Storm Hermine forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #96910 - Fri Sep 02 2016 12:57 PM

To add to what Ed has said, it usually takes a pretty stout breeze to knock out professionally installed anemometers, and several were lost overnight. It is incorrect to conclude that the maximum wind speed at a given location was "x" because that was the highest that station reported prior to being sent offline.

Velocity data during Hermine's lowest pressures near and at landfall (982-984mb) showed reliable peak winds of 90 to 115 MPH aloft between 200' and 3000' above the surface, located in a few sizable sections of the incipient eyewall. This coincides well with recon data finding reliable winds at or above 100 MPH at flight level in many locations. While Hermine did not appear to be the most efficient tropical cyclone at working these very strong winds located just above the surface down to the surface, it is reasonable to go with a 20% reduction, and that gels well with anecdotal reports coming in.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Hurricane Hermine forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: MikeC]
      #96919 - Sat Sep 03 2016 12:31 PM

Outer banks getting hammered right now http://www.obxcams.com/

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17426

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center