Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Atlantic is Quiet Again.
# of days since last Hurricane Landfall - US: Any 173 (Matthew) , Major: 4175 (11 y 5 m) (Wilma) Florida - Any: 209 (Hermine) Major: 4175 (11 y 5 m) (Wilma)
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> 2017 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Outlook for 2017
      #97574 - Sun Jan 01 2017 12:34 AM

About a month ago it was difficult to identify a suitable analog year for the 2017 tropical Atlantic activity and it still is - no real firm indicators one way or another, however 1984 (13/5/1) is starting to emerge as a possible analog year. After starting with a weak La Nina, ENSO Neutral conditions are forecast to exist through most of 2017 in the tropical east Pacific. I'll start with 13/5/1 for 2017 and adust the numbers as necessary when the start of the season gets closer. Those numbers would suggest that 2017 would be an above normal season in the Atlantic basin - but its early. The current ridging pattern in the subtropical Atlantic is keeping SSTs on the warm side this winter (so far). 1984 did feature some late season storms and if the pattern holds, 2017 might do the same.

Once again we will keep this thread open until the season starts on June 1st and you can input your own guesstimates on the 2017 numbers until then - and revise them as often as you wish. As a group, CFHC did a fantastic job last year on the seasonal totals - best ever.
Cheers,
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Outlook for 2017 [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #97576 - Fri Jan 06 2017 05:51 AM

Another analog year that is emerging is 1996 (13/9/6) so I'll adjust my outlook to 13/7/3.
ED

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl 27.53N 82.44W
      #97592 - Sun Mar 05 2017 09:35 AM

Not making prediction yet. But I am intrigued by the weather on the west coast this year and a similarity with the pattern there in 1968-69. I know 1969 brought 13 storms and Camielle. It seems that the tropical Atlantic this year would be supporting higher than normal sea temps and a more robust tropical high pressure ridge which would lead to a more vigorous season. Waiting with interest for the May predictions by the usual entities.

--------------------
doug

SouthGAwx

Reged: Fri
Loc: Georgia
      #97597 - Thu Mar 16 2017 01:51 PM

12/6/3

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl 27.53N 82.44W
Re: Outlook for 2017 [Re: doug]
      #97598 - Tue Mar 21 2017 10:55 AM

11/7/4

--------------------
doug

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Loc: Plant City, Florida 28.01N 82.12W
Re: Outlook for 2017 [Re: doug]
      #97599 - Fri Mar 24 2017 12:31 PM

Not sure what this will add but here is the early outlook from Joe Bastardi at WeatherBell.
Is the Current US Climate Cycle Thwarting Major Hurricane Hits

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2016 Season Prediction: 12/6/2

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1341

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center