F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2017 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Starts Now
      #97631 - Thu Jun 01 2017 12:00 AM

Today is the first day of the 2017 Atlantic Hurricane season. The season runs from Today (June 1st) until November 30th. Although storms can form anytime during the season (and very rarely outside the season) most storms tend to form in August, September, and October.

The 2016 Hurricane season brought Florida its first landfalling hurricane in 11 years, Hermine, which affected the Panhandle and west coasts of Florida.

Hurricane Matthew caused the most damage last year, affecting Cuba/Haiti, the Bahamas, and Florida from about the Cape northward, particularly with surge along from Flagler Beach northward into North Carolina and flooding rains in North Carolina.

Otto was notable for crossing intact into the Eastern Pacific after breaking records and hammering Central America on thanksgiving day.

Only Otto and Matthew’s names were retired last year, to be replaced with Martin and Owen for the 2022 season.

In June storm formation is not the norm, but when they do, usually storms will form in the Western Caribbean or in the Gulf, and tend not to be on the high end. We have had one named storm form already this year, Arlene, which made it to a 50MPH Tropical Storm in the central Atlantic, but affected no land directly.

We'll be watching here, as we expect a slightly higher than average season this year. This is the 22nd year that this site has been running, and we hope continue. Our long time meteorologist, Ed Dunham sadly passed away on May 14th of this year. So we are missing a great source of storm wisdom, but we will continue to use his level-headed hype resistant style to guide the site. As always, use mutliple sources for hurricane information, don't take our word for it, the National Hurricane Center should be top of that list. The links on the bottom of the page and our links page are just the start of a multitude of good to great sources for information beyond here.

As we open, there isn't much to write home about regarding activity. Although there’s a chance for a named storm before July, but odds favor it not happening.

That doesn't mean there is nothing to watch for the start of the season, The global models (WCMWF and GFS) show a low possibly forming in the western Gulf of Mexico on Sunday.

The East Pacific hurricane basin is tracking TD#2, however.

We'll keep an eye out in the Atlantic.

The names for this year are:

2023: Arlene, Bret, Cindy, Don, Emily, Franklin, Gert, Harold, Idalia, Jose, Katia, Lee, Margot, Nigel, Ophelia, Philippe, Rina, Sean, Tammy, Vince, Whitney (List III)

Sales Tax Holiday in Florida
This year Florida has a Hurricane Supply Sales Tax Holiday running June 2-4, 2017

This Includes reusable ice packs $10 or less.

$20 or less flashlights, lanters, cancles.

$25 or less: Any gas or diesel fuel container, including LP gas and kerosene containers

$30 or less: Batteries, including rechargeable batteries, excluding automobile and boat
Coolers and ice chests (food-storage; nonelectrical)

$50 or less: tarps, Visqueen, plastic sheeting, plastic drop cloths, and other flexible waterproof sheeting
Ground anchor systems, Tie-down kits, Bungee cords, Ratchet straps, Radios (powered by battery, solar, or hand-crank)
Two-way, Weather band

and Portable Generators Selling for $750 or less.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Starts Now [Re: MikeC]
      #97634 - Thu Jun 01 2017 11:19 AM

Obviously, sad news about Ed. he was always kind and very encouraging in my personal encounters with him...blessing to his family and close friends.

--------------------
doug

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Starts Now [Re: doug]
      #97635 - Thu Jun 01 2017 12:50 PM

Ditto what doug said about Ed.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Plant City, Florida
Re: The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Starts Now [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #97636 - Thu Jun 01 2017 09:27 PM

Just saw Eds Obit on the Facebook site. I will really miss that man. He was so knowledgeable, so patient on the site and he always answered the questions I messaged him. He was certainly a giant in meteorology in the USAF and after. I suddenly don't feel as comfortable on the first day of the new hurricane season without his expertise around here! RIP ED...Prayers for his family!

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2023 Season Prediction: 17/6/2

Prospero
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Gulfport, FL
Re: The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Starts Now [Re: MikeC]
      #97637 - Thu Jun 01 2017 09:55 PM

Sad to learn of Ed's passing. He's been one of my heroes for about 13 years or so, always respected his knowledge. I offer my condolences to everyone he has been a part of.

Not how I expected to start the 2017 Hurricane season which is always like Christmas, New Years, and 4th of July all wrapped into one for me. (Say what you will, I love a storm.)

--------------------
Gulfport Florida Webcam - Gulfport Florida Weather Station - Clearwater Beach Cams

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9819

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center