Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season officially over. 2018's runs June 1st-Nov 30th, 2018.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 64 (Nate) , Major: 82 (Maria) Florida - Any: 92 (Irma) Major: 92 (Irma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> 2017 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
cieldumortModerator

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx 30.40N 97.80W
Area of Concern - BRET
      #97673 - Sun Jun 18 2017 02:46 PM

At 18/18Z, Invest 92L was located about 800 miles east-southeast of the southern Windward Islands, at 7.3N 49.4W, and is tracking west-northwest at near 20 mph. Central pressure is estimated at 1008mb, and maximum sustained winds are about 30 knots.

92L appears to be very close to closing off at the surface this afternoon, and combined with an increase in deep convection, a tropical cyclone could be forming. Over the past day, the wave has been increasing latitude, such that detrimental interaction with northern South America appears less likely. SSTs along its path are sufficiently warm, and windshear may not become challenging for few more days.

As of 18/18Z, NHC has increased 92L to a 60% chance of becoming a tropical cyclone within 48 hours, and this could be conservative. Interests along northern South America and in the Lesser Antilles may want to begin paying more attention.

Model discussions and personal best guesses on 92L's future can be found in the BRET Lounge

PTC TWO has become Tropical Storm Bret and the title has been updated.

Edited by cieldumort (Mon Jun 19 2017 05:37 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kraig
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Jupiter, Fl 26.90N 80.22W
Re: Area of Interest - UPGRADED to "Potential Tropical Cyclone Two" 5pm Sunday [Re: cieldumort]
      #97675 - Sun Jun 18 2017 05:41 PM

From the 5pm Discussion " The National Hurricane Center now has the option to issue advisories on disturbances that are not yet tropical cyclones, but which pose the threat of bringing tropical storm or hurricane conditions to land areas within 48 hours. Under previous policy this was not possible. These systems are known as Potential Tropical Cyclones in advisory products and are numbered from the same list as depressions."

Not sure why this is needed as opposed to Tropical Depression #2. Seems needlessly confusing if you ask me!

--------------------
--------------------------------
2017 forecast 10/6/2

South FL Native and experienced: David ('79) - Floyd ('87) - Andrew ('92) - Georges ('98) - Irene ('99) - Charlie, Frances & Jeanne ('04) - Wilma ('05) and Matthew ('16)

SouthGAwx
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Georgia
Re: Area of Interest - UPGRADED to "Potential Tropical Cyclone Two" 5pm Sunday [Re: Kraig]
      #97680 - Mon Jun 19 2017 02:45 PM

Can't classify it as a tropical depression, because it doesn't have a closed surface low.

I agree that it just isn't necessary... If PTC 2 fails to develop, I think that'll be a major slap on the wrist to this new policy. The old practice was the best one -- either it is a tropical cyclone or it isn't. No in between.

cieldumortModerator

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx 30.40N 97.80W
Re: Area of Concern - BRET [Re: cieldumort]
      #97683 - Mon Jun 19 2017 05:57 PM

At 19/21Z, PTC TWO was upgraded to Tropical Storm Bret, the second named storm of the 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season. Bret has become the earliest tropical storm formation east of the Antilles, and is one of only three on record to do so during the month of June at all in the MDR (Main Development Region).

As of 19/21Z, Bret was located just east of the southernmost Lesser Antilles, at 9.4N 59.8W, and was tracking west-northwest at a very fast 30 mph. Recon found a central pressure of 1007mb and maximum sustained winds of 35 knots, or 40 mph. Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 80 miles, mainly north of the center

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2111

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center