F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2017 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: << 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | >> (show all)
B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
Re: HURRICANE IRMA LOUNGE [Re: pincty]
      #98776 - Sun Sep 10 2017 07:16 AM

Interesting that the Euro has the track moving more inland than the NHC track. With the Euro handling storms pretty much spot on, and NHC doing well, I think we`re in for a very interesting Sunday here in Florida. I worry for the people that stayed down there and those in Naples not to mention the whole SW coast line.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Longwood, FL
      #98777 - Sun Sep 10 2017 07:21 AM

Looks like Irma is heading more NNW than NW, at least in the short term.

--------------------
Keith (1988), Charley (2004), Frances (2004) , Jeanne (2004), Fay (2008), Mathew (2016), Irma (2017), Dorian (2019)

Personal Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KFLLONGW67

JMII
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: HURRICANE IRMA LOUNGE [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #98778 - Sun Sep 10 2017 07:24 AM

Big Pine Key looks like its taking the worst of it, radar estimated 130 mph winds. 13 miles to landfall. Eyewall looking a bit ragged, dry pocket to the south.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: HURRICANE IRMA LOUNGE [Re: JMII]
      #98785 - Sun Sep 10 2017 09:15 AM

Dare that I say this, but as time is passing by I am beginning to suspect that Irma may be susceptible to a "Charley affect". What is that? I noticed here in Parrish that the heavier squals migrate from east to west, but as they approach the westcoast they dry up...we are now getting some light rain, but Polk County has had heavy weather, including tornado activity, that disapated to mist here in central Manatee County. I have watched the WV loop and what I see is very dry air diving down from the NW toward the storm and moisture is evaporating along the western side. This is what occurred with Charlie. I am hopeful that this trough now in the central GOM will push Irma to the NE.
Could be wishing an outcome. But this affect seems to be influencing the progress of this system.

--------------------
doug

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: HURRICANE IRMA LOUNGE [Re: doug]
      #98789 - Sun Sep 10 2017 09:51 AM

Obviously this close to land every wobble is meaningful, but watching the radar on the Southwest Florida Water Management District site this sucker is looking like it's traveling nearly due north right now, if not with a tiny wobble to the east. It looks to my novice and nervous mind that it's definitely to the right of the NHC track, at least.

It would be beyond ridiculous if this system pulled a Charley and headed toward the right, making the turn the models had said for so long, but not when they expected.

Going to be a long, long day/night.

--------------------
Londovir

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
      #98791 - Sun Sep 10 2017 09:52 AM

Correct me if I`m wrong, but as Irma moved over the keys, did I see a slight movement more to the N than NW ?

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: HURRICANE IRMA LOUNGE [Re: Londovir]
      #98792 - Sun Sep 10 2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Obviously this close to land every wobble is meaningful, but watching the radar on the Southwest Florida Water Management District site this sucker is looking like it's traveling nearly due north right now, if not with a tiny wobble to the east. It looks to my novice and nervous mind that it's definitely to the right of the NHC track, at least.

It would be beyond ridiculous if this system pulled a Charley and headed toward the right, making the turn the models had said for so long, but not when they expected.

Going to be a long, long day/night.

Pulling up the Satellite floater and turning on the forecast points, Irma looks significantly east of the forecast track. So much so that I wonder why TWC is not talking about it. Someone convince me the center Irma doesn't appear headed to Naples or east of Napes.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Re: HURRICANE IRMA LOUNGE [Re: StormHound]
      #98793 - Sun Sep 10 2017 10:05 AM Attachment (541 downloads)

Lastest snip of satellite and forecast points.

pincty
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
      #98794 - Sun Sep 10 2017 10:16 AM

I totally agree with you. I remember when Charlie was moving up the Gulf years ago, Mike Clay of Bay News 9 spotted an eastern wobble and said that if may be nothing but if the next move goes the same way, then Charlie may be heading to landfall south of T.B. If it is known that Irma went slightly east of Key West and the hourly updates show a mostly northern motion (5 a.m. - 24.1, 81.5, 10 a.m. - 24.8, 81.5), at least a local met here in Tampa can state that the storm is tracking east of the model but caution people to not let their guard down. For caution's sake, I do understand it though.

StormHound
Weather Guru

#98795 - Sun Sep 10 2017 10:19 AM

I'm not an expert. But this is more than a wobble at this point. Irma is significantly east of track and no one is talking about it. It's like these weather people on the news have no training whatsoever.

JMII
Weather Master

#98796 - Sun Sep 10 2017 10:22 AM

Yep she is east of the forecast line, off by maybe 20 miles? but tracking kind of parallel to it so far.

edit - moving faster and almost due NORTH? Looks to hit Naples.

--------------------
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17

Edited by JMII (Sun Sep 10 2017 10:41 AM)

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #98797 - Sun Sep 10 2017 10:27 AM

Probably going about 350 (NNW?) I'd say in the last handful of hours. I'm curious how the track will adjust (if any) at the next track update.

--------------------
Londovir

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
      #98799 - Sun Sep 10 2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

I'm not an expert. But this is more than a wobble at this point. Irma is significantly east of track and no one is talking about it. It's like these weather people on the news have no training whatsoever.

They are discussing it on NBC/ABC in Ft. Myers. It's very evident on satellite and radar.

StormHound
Weather Guru

#98800 - Sun Sep 10 2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Yep she is east of the forecast line, off by maybe 20 miles? but tracking kind of parallel to it so far.

According to my eyes, it isn't really parallel. She was on track four or five hours ago, now quite a bit east. Seems to be heading due north.

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Loc: Longwood, FL
      #98802 - Sun Sep 10 2017 10:39 AM

Wobble, wobble, wobble. Like a top spinning down. But it looks east of track to me.

--------------------
Keith (1988), Charley (2004), Frances (2004) , Jeanne (2004), Fay (2008), Mathew (2016), Irma (2017), Dorian (2019)

Personal Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KFLLONGW67

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: HURRICANE IRMA LOUNGE [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #98804 - Sun Sep 10 2017 10:53 AM

The motion has been virtually to the North since at least 7:15 a.m. The over all shape of the system is elongated north-south. The west side has been affected by the dry air moving over the GOM, and it is affecting its structure, IMO.. Sky here has lifted and brightened considerably in the last hour and on the satellite that is revealed by white in the north west quadrant..barometers here have been steady for a while now at about 29.66

--------------------
doug

Colleen A.Moderator

Loc: Florida
Re: HURRICANE IRMA LOUNGE [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #98805 - Sun Sep 10 2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Correct me if I`m wrong, but as Irma moved over the keys, did I see a slight movement more to the N than NW ?

I am seeing the same thing.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: St. Pete,
      #98806 - Sun Sep 10 2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

The motion has been virtually to the North since at least 7:15 a.m. The over all shape of the system is elongated north-south. The west side has been affected by the dry air moving over the GOM, and it is affecting its structure, IMO.. Sky here has lifted and brightened considerably in the last hour and on the satellite that is revealed by white in the north west quadrant..barometers here have been steady for a while now at about 29.66

I see the same thing, curious to see if that dry air will continue to shread the west side.. I am a little rusty it's been awhile since I have been on here, but looks to me like a landfall further South..

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
Re: HURRICANE IRMA LOUNGE [Re: Colleen A.]
      #98807 - Sun Sep 10 2017 11:08 AM

Local mets calling for Collier County landfall now.

JMII
Weather Master

Re: HURRICANE IRMA LOUNGE [Re: Colleen A.]
      #98808 - Sun Sep 10 2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

She went due north for 2 hours, now could be working or wobbling her way NNW. Naples landfall very possible on this track. While that would be bad for them (of course) it would be good for FL overall as the NE eyewall would come ashore in a very sparsely populated area vs a Charely situation with landfall near Sanibel, Punta Gorda or worst Sarasota or terrible if Tampa.

--------------------

Pages: << 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 1400638

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center