F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2017 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Psyber
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #98099 - Sun Sep 03 2017 09:14 PM

Quote:

Given the projection of a cat 4 or 5,I am a little surprised that no one has brought up the polar effect.Could she be pulled north and hug the coast?

Depends on the size. Irma is growing and at some point, it will make its own rules. A solid Cat 5 going pretty much west takes a high the size of the continental USA to bounce it north.

We'll have to see how many eyewall replacements she does with a relatively calm path right now.

These fast builders seem to have a mind of their own and only answer to MikeC's will.

--------------------
The safest way to deal with a potential Hurricane hitting you...is to leave and just not be there at all.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
M.A.
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Vero Beach, Fl
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: Psyber]
      #98100 - Sun Sep 03 2017 10:20 PM

HMON 18Z run brings the max winds too 162knts and the pressure to 856hpa. The HWRF to 145knts /910hpa. If memory serves me right, 882hpa was the lowest recorded in the Atlantic.

Edited by M.A. (Sun Sep 03 2017 10:27 PM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: Psyber]
      #98103 - Sun Sep 03 2017 11:26 PM

Setup beyond 4 days or so is complex with a pattern that could bring a quick northeast turn, followed by a twist back west (or not at all and out to sea), if it drifts far enough south, then the north turn would not be as likely or pronounced which gives Florida a lot more issues, the Bahamas are in bad shape either way for Irma, unless it manages to get far enough south to be heavily impacted by Hispaniola (Which right now doesn't seem as likely)

The area that needs to monitor Irma is extremely large, from the Northern Caribbean islands (all the way to Cuba), Bahamas, Florida north all the way to Nova Scotia in Canada.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged: Tue
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: MikeC]
      #98104 - Sun Sep 03 2017 11:30 PM

Quote:

Setup beyond 4 days or so is complex with a pattern that could bring a quick northeast turn, followed by a twist back west (or not at all and out to sea), if it drifts far enough south, then the north turn would not be as likely or pronounced which gives Florida a lot more issues, the Bahamas are in bad shape either way for Irma, unless it manages to get far enough south to be heavily impacted by Hispaniola (Which right now doesn't seem as likely)

The area that needs to monitor Irma is extremely large, from the Northern Caribbean islands (all the way to Cuba), Bahamas, Florida north all the way to Nova Scotia in Canada.

You are truly the voice of reason.And as she gets stronger the crazies will come out.Thank you.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: cieldumort]
      #98106 - Sun Sep 03 2017 11:39 PM

0z GFS Run:
Updated as it comes in:
Starts off similar to the last run,Irma's obviously over warmer water now and we may wake up to a stronger hurricane.

By 36 hours, it's slightly south of the prior GFS Run, maybe 15 or 20 nm, but generally stays the same course until at least 42 hours out.

By Wednesday morning it's getting dangerously close to Barbuda, eyewall goes over Barbuda, then St. Maarten and Anguilla. By the evening it's over the British Virgin Islands (US gets some, but not as much as the northern British VI)

It stays north of Puerto Rico (to avoid the inner core), but still gets tropical storm force and maybe hurricane force along the northern side of PR.

Closer to HIspaniola this run, hits cat 5 late Thursday night as it nears the Turks and Caicos, and over them Friday morning.

Slips west of the Turks and Caicos Friday night, between Cuba and the Bahamas.

Saturday morning just offshore Cuba, then rides the northern coastline of Cuba. Sunday morning drifts north from Cuba into the Florida straits.

Category 5 landfall upper Keys, headed north AM of Sep 11th, maintains strength through Lake Okeechobee with dirty side of storm going through the populated areas of south Florida. Over Orlando (Still cat 4) by afternoon

Back offshore by St. Augustine by the end of the night, still a major another landfall in central Georgia.

Automatic winner for most insane GFS vs Florida run of all time.

Posting it here for the record, 10th straight US landfall prediction for Irma.

Psyber
Storm Tracker

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #98107 - Sun Sep 03 2017 11:46 PM

Quote:

I truly believe that the low to the N-N/W has caused/facilitated this continued south turn/flattening of the storm. Some might not have seen some of the satellite of it but for several hours it had the characteristics of a very organized system. It's turning into a big rain storm now but it's done the damage we didn't want to see. It's obviously being pulled apart now but. It's kept Irma in warmer waters, kept Irma out of the same sheer that's pulling the other low apart.

I see Irma staying north of Hispaniola however it's going to be getting some serious effects. For me, as bad as it is for Hispaniola and Cuba getting hit with hurricane effects, them being able to pull some strength out of the storm is better than it walking right at Florida as an H4 or H5.

--------------------
The safest way to deal with a potential Hurricane hitting you...is to leave and just not be there at all.

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
      #98108 - Mon Sep 04 2017 03:23 AM

thx for sharing. and not only a Cat 5 but Atlantic record 881 mbar!

--------------------
Matthew '16, Hermine '16, Colin '16, Bonnie '10, Fay '08, Wilma, '05, Katrina '05, Jeanne '04, Frances '04, Charley '04 in FTM (drove behind it), Bertha '96, Bob '91, The Blizzard of '78 in NH

Bev
Weather Guru

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
      #98109 - Mon Sep 04 2017 04:25 AM

The 0Z GFS, Euro, and CMC are in fairly close agreement now with a S. Fla landfall or very near scrape.

What is going on with the GFS pressure, an anomaly?

--------------------
Survived Charley at Cat 4 under a staircase. Won't do that again. I watch SW Florida and Abaco primarily.

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: Bev]
      #98110 - Mon Sep 04 2017 04:58 AM

see above 10PM the HMON called it first and much stronger than even the GFS

Curious to know MA's links to see exact data from the runs? Thx

--------------------
Matthew '16, Hermine '16, Colin '16, Bonnie '10, Fay '08, Wilma, '05, Katrina '05, Jeanne '04, Frances '04, Charley '04 in FTM (drove behind it), Bertha '96, Bob '91, The Blizzard of '78 in NH

Marknole
Weather Watcher

Loc: Wacissa, FL
      #98111 - Mon Sep 04 2017 05:09 AM

And the 5:00 EDT update continues that trend. Time to take this seriously..

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: Bev]
      #98112 - Mon Sep 04 2017 06:38 AM

All of the 00Z model runs are beginning to cluster on a severe hurricane impacting the entire FL peninsula. We'll see if the 06Z and 12Z runs continue the trend. At any rate, I'm going to start executing my preparedness plan before everyone begins to panic.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: MichaelA]
      #98113 - Mon Sep 04 2017 07:25 AM

The trend seems to be that it's going into the GOM.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/090051.shtml?cone#contents

--------------------

Edited by ftlaudbob (Mon Sep 04 2017 07:28 AM)

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #98114 - Mon Sep 04 2017 07:28 AM

The 06Z run of the GFS calls for Irma going right up the spine of the Florida peninsula. i am starting to prepare my plans.

--------------------
Keith (1988), Charley (2004), Frances (2004) , Jeanne (2004), Fay (2008), Mathew (2016), Irma (2017), Dorian (2019)

Personal Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KFLLONGW67

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #98115 - Mon Sep 04 2017 07:34 AM

These models will change several times in the next few days.

--------------------

Colleen A.Moderator

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: JMII]
      #98116 - Mon Sep 04 2017 07:35 AM

Can someone please explain to me what Herbert's Box is and where do I look for it? Ty!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #98118 - Mon Sep 04 2017 07:40 AM

0z Euro joins the GFS heading toward Cuba/ scraping the north coast then cuts north just east of Florida, and over the Western Bahamas, with a NC/SC border landfall on September 13th as a at 3/4.

6z GFS is similar at first to the 0z, but moves deeper into Cuba and exits north near HAvana, then crosses over Key West as a cat 4/5 on the morning of Sep 11th, then Landfalls again near Naples then rides just east of I-75 all the way up into Tennessee. Still overdoing pressures the whole way, but a major cat 4/5 the entire time.

Fortunately there is still some time and beyond 4 days the forecast becomes a bit difficult, so this will likely change, it may shift further west and go into the Gulf, or shift back east, the chances of no landfall (out to sea) are going down very quickly though. Continue to watch and monitor the system, the GFS's pressures are unrealistic especially with land interaction, but the idea of a major is not.

I suspect the models will shift (Again) today and tomorrow.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: Colleen A.]
      #98120 - Mon Sep 04 2017 07:44 AM

Quote:

Can someone please explain to me what Herbert's Box is and where do I look for it? Ty!

Geographic area defined by 1970's NHC forecaster Paul Hebert where statistically any hurricane passing through them has greater odds of affecting Florida than outside of it, more of a statistical thing than anything else, it's not a hard rule by any means. It's outlined on the South Florida Water management model chart.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: cieldumort]
      #98121 - Mon Sep 04 2017 07:45 AM

Post adjustment

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Longwood, FL
      #98122 - Mon Sep 04 2017 07:49 AM

Herbert Box. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebert_Box

--------------------
Keith (1988), Charley (2004), Frances (2004) , Jeanne (2004), Fay (2008), Mathew (2016), Irma (2017), Dorian (2019)

Personal Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KFLLONGW67

Colleen A.Moderator

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
      #98123 - Mon Sep 04 2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

0z GFS Run:
Updated as it comes in:
Starts off similar to the last run,Irma's obviously over warmer water now and we may wake up to a stronger hurricane.
Are you saying this is a genuine scenario?

By 36 hours, it's slightly south of the prior GFS Run, maybe 15 or 20 nm, but generally stays the same course until at least 42 hours out.

By Wednesday morning it's getting dangerously close to Barbuda, eyewall goes over Barbuda, then St. Maarten and Anguilla. By the evening it's over the British Virgin Islands (US gets some, but not as much as the northern British VI)

It stays north of Puerto Rico (to avoid the inner core), but still gets tropical storm force and maybe hurricane force along the northern side of PR.

Closer to HIspaniola this run, hits cat 5 late Thursday night as it nears the Turks and Caicos, and over them Friday morning.

Slips west of the Turks and Caicos Friday night, between Cuba and the Bahamas.

Saturday morning just offshore Cuba, then rides the northern coastline of Cuba. Sunday morning drifts north from Cuba into the Florida straits.

Category 5 landfall upper Keys, headed north AM of Sep 11th, maintains strength through Lake Okeechobee with dirty side of storm going through the populated areas of south Florida. Over Orlando (Still cat 4) by afternoon

Back offshore by St. Augustine by the end of the night, still a major another landfall in central Georgia.

Posting it here for the record, 10th straight US landfall prediction for Irma.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 1403699

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center