F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 210 (Idalia) , Major: 210 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 210 (Idalia) Major: 210 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2017 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
JMII
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: flnative]
      #98362 - Wed Sep 06 2017 12:51 PM

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IVISTTHO2#history

This weather station is (I would guess) approximately 40 miles from the eye and getting 105 MPH gusts. Pressure still failing but not as rapidly as before.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ObsFromNWFL
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Tue
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: JMII]
      #98363 - Wed Sep 06 2017 12:57 PM

No change in 12Z GFS run. That is 3 consistent runs. Official NHC track now matches this track.

bahamaweather
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Abaco, Bahamas
      #98364 - Wed Sep 06 2017 12:58 PM

It looks like that wobble to the South and West was very short lived. Should miss Puerto Rico to the North and East. AVN at15:45 UTC looks like it is already slightly north of PR's latitude.

GFS and CMC 12Z are slightly west again though- not by much. Still riding the east cost of Florida.

--------------------
Erin '95, Dennis / Floyd / Irene '99, Francis / Jeanne '04

DougBaker
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Fri
      #98365 - Wed Sep 06 2017 01:01 PM

I see that Irma may become a cat 4 as it nears Fl, why would winds descrease as the storm hits the warmer gulf stream? and is there a maximum wind speed of a hurricane? given the right conditions, what is the max?

TheOtherRick
Weather Watcher

Loc:
      #98366 - Wed Sep 06 2017 01:02 PM

Using the NHC Google plot, and weather.com's interactive radar map, both of which have extreme apparently accurate closeups...Irma will hit the Virgin Islands shortly, 10 miles north of the projected path. it is supposed to pass south of SpanishTown Island, and it hits it dead center.

Hard to say if they are that precise But if so, the good news is the models that have it miss Florida to the East, are further to the north.

ObsFromNWFL
Verified CFHC User

Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: bahamaweather]
      #98367 - Wed Sep 06 2017 01:03 PM

For those of you thinking Irma missing PR look at the PR radar. Link at bottom of page. https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=jua&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

JMII
Weather Master

#98369 - Wed Sep 06 2017 01:25 PM

Weather station linked above appears to have broken after recording a 113 MPH gust, pressures are dropping like crazy now.

Edit: Pressure finally bottomed out at 28.22" @ 2:05 PM... now it is starting to climb back up as Irma moves away from St Thomas Virgin Islands.

--------------------
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17

Edited by JMII (Wed Sep 06 2017 02:18 PM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #98374 - Wed Sep 06 2017 02:22 PM

Key Largo hit by Euro on the 12Z, Sunday morning at Cat 4, out Monday morning near Port St. Lucie as cat 3. Second landfall near Savannah at 132 hours.

most inland part of new Euro:

Goes over basically all of the S. Florida metro areas.

ObsFromNWFL
Verified CFHC User

#98375 - Wed Sep 06 2017 02:25 PM

ECMWF has now posted . Same as GFS, HWRF, HMON, NHC re Florida.

JMII
Weather Master

Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: MikeC]
      #98376 - Wed Sep 06 2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Key Largo hit by Euro on the 12Z, Sunday morning at Cat 4, out Monday morning near Port St. Lucie as cat 3. Second landfall near Savannah at 132 hours. Goes over basically all of the S. Florida metro areas.

Population of Dade, Broward and West Palm = 6.7 million people

Per Wikipedia: Because the population of South Florida is largely confined to a strip of land between the Atlantic Ocean and the Everglades, the Miami urbanized area (that is, the area of contiguous urban development) is about 110 miles (180 km) long (north to south), but never more than 20 miles (32 km) wide, and in some areas only 5 miles (8.0 km) wide (east to west). The Miami metropolitan statistical area is longer than any other urbanized area in the United States except for the New York metropolitan area.

--------------------

Reaper
Weather Watcher

Reged: Wed
Loc: Lake Placid, Fla
      #98383 - Wed Sep 06 2017 03:23 PM

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but the one thing that I don't really understand is that regardless of the trajectory that each model run has produced in regards to possible paths, ALL of the models have projected continued increase in strength all the way and up to either landfall or the the eventual turn poleward, yet the NHC has consistently forecasted the weakening of the system toward the end of the runs.

bahamaweather
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Abaco, Bahamas
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: Reaper]
      #98384 - Wed Sep 06 2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but the one thing that I don't really understand is that regardless of the trajectory that each model run has produced in regards to possible paths, ALL of the models have projected continued increase in strength all the way and up to either landfall or the the eventual turn poleward, yet the NHC has consistently forecasted the weakening of the system toward the end of the runs.

I've noticed this as well- none of the model runs seem to indicate much in the way of weakening- regardless of the western or eastern bias.

--------------------
Erin '95, Dennis / Floyd / Irene '99, Francis / Jeanne '04

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: bahamaweather]
      #98385 - Wed Sep 06 2017 03:55 PM

Correct me if I;m wrong,But to be it looks like all the major models are now agreeing on a Miami/Ft Lauderdale landfall.And we are not that far out any longer so....

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Colleen A.Moderator

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #98386 - Wed Sep 06 2017 04:04 PM

Are the models still trending east?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: Colleen A.]
      #98387 - Wed Sep 06 2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Are the models still trending east?

Doesn't appear so,looks to me like they have decided on Miami/ Fort Lauderdale.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

StormHound
Weather Guru

Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: Reaper]
      #98388 - Wed Sep 06 2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Most of these models are pretty terrible at forecasting strength with any precision. There is one model which has been much more accurate at strength forecast. I forget which model that is, but the NHC has all the models at its disposal and tries to use the relative merits of each model to come up with the forecast. And remember, none of these going to turn out to be totally accurate.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #98389 - Wed Sep 06 2017 05:21 PM

The 12Z runs seem to be trending slightly back toward the west. Once we get to the 72 - 48 hour time frame (tomorrow PM for south Florida and Friday AM/PM for central Florida), we'll have a good idea of track reliability. Stay prepared.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: MichaelA]
      #98391 - Wed Sep 06 2017 05:45 PM

The 18Z run of the GFS will be interesting. Will we see a slight adjustment East? Am I seeing that Irma is currently running just a tad north of forecast?

--------------------
Keith (1988), Charley (2004), Frances (2004) , Jeanne (2004), Fay (2008), Mathew (2016), Irma (2017), Dorian (2019)

Personal Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KFLLONGW67

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #98392 - Wed Sep 06 2017 05:52 PM

18Z GFS is slightly NE of the 12Z Run this one goes over the Turks and Caicos and Crooked Island in the Bahamas, as well as just south of Andros (so far) goes over Bimini Island in the extreme Western Bahamas Sunday morning, east of Miami. Closest approach to west palm beach is 25 miles. Cat 5 landfall just north of Savannah, Monday evening.

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Osceola County
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: MikeC]
      #98395 - Wed Sep 06 2017 06:09 PM

18Z GFS shoots the gap between West End and West Palm, as MikeC says above. It also shows deepening to 890 mb at hour 84, which would be #3 all-time if it were to pan out.

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 1403501

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center