F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 210 (Idalia) , Major: 210 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 210 (Idalia) Major: 210 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2018 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Tropical Storm Gordon Approaching North Gulf Coast
      #99459 - Mon Sep 03 2018 08:12 AM

7PM EDT Update 4 September 2018
Gordon is now a high-end Tropical Storm with maximum sustained winds in a few spots of about 70MPH. Recon is heading back in to see if any additional changes in intensity have occurred.

The cyclone may tighten up right before and/or into and/or just after landfall. This is to say, Gordon may become a more fully hurricane type of tropical cyclone at any time over the next six hours or so. A T.C. ramping up a full category into landfall is hardly unprecedented, and those in the Hurricane Warning should take it seriously, preparing for the worst, hoping for the best. Preparations should now be rushed to completion in the Hurricane Warning area.

As it is, clean doppler velocity scans at around 10,000' this this afternoon have been upwards of 90 MPH, and it is possible that Gordon will begin efficiently transferring these rates to the surface, at least in gusts. Wind gusts this high can cause significant damage to roofs, topple trees, snap power lines, roll trailers, etc.

During and after landfall, dangerous storm surge of up to three or four feet is expected. Surge this high can easily lift very heavy automobiles and send them uncontrollably up-current.

After landfall, Gordon's forward movement is forecast to slow down markedly, and both flash flooding and still some wind damage is likely well inland. Be prepared for power outages that may take some time to come back online. At least three days non-perishable food and many gallons of drinkable water per person always a good idea.

At least a couple of tornadoes are likely. Tropical cyclone tornadoes often strike with little or no warning. These tend to be EF 0s and 1s. But not always.

NHC:
Quote:

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for...
* Shell Beach to Dauphin Island

A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for...
* West of Shell Beach to the Mouth of the Mississippi River
* East of Dauphin Island to Navarre

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for...
* Mouth of the Pearl River to the Alabama-Florida Border

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for...
* West of the Mouth of the Pearl River to the Mouth of the
Mississippi River, including Lake Pontchartrain
* Alabama-Florida Border to Okaloosa-Walton County Line

-Ciel

7AM EDT Update 4 September 2018
Tropical Storm Gordon has held steady overnight and is making its run toward the Mississippi Gulf coast, most of the wind and convection associated with Gordon is on the east (sometimes well to the east) of the center of circulation, which has been exposed at times overnight.

Recorn recently found pressures of around 1001mb, so it still continues to gradually strengthen and probably has enough time to become a category 1 hurricane before landfall, thus hurricane warnings are up for the area. Impacts will likely be similar to Nate from last year. Small storms like Gordon, are susceptible to rapid intensity changes (both up and down), the upper level low weakening the southwest quadrant is moving away from Gordon this morning, so it is still worth watching. Those in the warning areas should prepare for a category 2 hurricane, and hope for less, but listen to local media and officials for your immediate area.

11AM EDT Update 3 September 2018

Hurricane Watches are now up along the northern Gulf coast for Gordon, from the Mouth of the Pearl River to the Alabama-Florida Border.

Gordon has continued to organize this morning ahead of schedule, but remains a Tropical Storm at the moment, with some strong wind reports from the Keys this morning. Recon is entering the system now to check it out.

Original Update
Tropical Storm Warnings are up for the Florida Keys and portions of S. Florida also in the North Gulf from AL/FL to Morgan City, LA as Tropical Storm Gordon forms near the Florida Keys this morning.

A 45MPH Tropcial Storm was what it was forecast to be in 36 hours from now at the 5AM Advisory. It's ahead of schedule.

The NHC upgraded based on some surface observations and radar, they will probably hold off any big forecast changes until the recon aircraft gets out to investigate it later today.

Gordon Event Related Links

float7latest.gif stormplotthumb_7.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2018&storm=7 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Gordon
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Gordon

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Gordon (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Gordon (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Gordon

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Gordon
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on Gordon -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

Florence Event Related Links

float6latest.gif stormplotthumb_6.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2018&storm=6 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Florence
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Florence

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Florence (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Florence (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Florence

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Florence
NRL Info on Florence -- RAMMB Info

92L Event Related Links

float8latest.gif stormplotthumb_8.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2018&storm=8 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 92L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 92L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 92L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 92L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 92L

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 92L
NRL Info on 92L -- RAMMB Info

Mississippi/Alabama Gulf Coast Media/Links

WLOX TV 13 (ABC) Biloxi

WXXV TV 25 (Fox)Biloxi

WKRG TV 5 (CBS) Mobile

WPMI TV 15 (NBC) Mobile

WALA TV 10 (Fox) Mobile

WEAR TV 3 (ABC) Pensacola, FL

Newspapers

Mobile Register (Al.com) paper

Biloxi Sun Herald paper

Gulf Live

Radio (some)

News Talk 104.9 Biloxi, MS (Radio)

News talk 106.5 Mobile, AL (Radio)

Power Outage Louisiana power outage map

Mississippi Power Outage Map

Alabama Power Outage Map

East Florida Links Southeast Composite Radar Loop (Latest Static) South to North:

Key West, FL Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Miami, FL Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Melbourne, FL Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Jacksonville, FL Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Caribbean/South East Coast Satellite Imagery

SFWMD Radar Loop of South Florida with storm Track

SFWMD Full Florida Radar Loop with Storm Track

Area Forecast Discussions: FLorida Keys - Miami/South Florida - Melbourne/East Central Florida - Jacksonville/Northeast Florida -

Northeast Gulf Links Southeast Composite Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Tampa Bay, FL Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Key West, FL Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Mobile, AL Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Tallahassee FL Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Northwest Florida Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Gulf of Mexico Satellite Imagery

SFWMD Full Florida Radar (Includes east LA, MS,AL) Loop with Storm Track

Area Forecast Discussions: New Orleans - Mississippi/Alabama/Pensacola - Panhandle/Tallahassee - Tampa/West Central Florida
North Gulf Links North Gulf/Southern Mississippi Valley Composite Radar Loop (Latest Static) East to West:

Mobile, AL Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

New Orleans, LA Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Lake Charles, LA Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Houston/Galveston, TX Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Gulf of Mexico Satellite Imagery

Area Forecast Discussions: Mississippi/Alabama/Pensacola - New Orleans, LA - Lake Charles, LA - Houston/Galveston, TX

Edited by cieldumort (Tue Sep 04 2018 07:05 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Tropical Storm Gordon forms Near the Florida Keys [Re: MikeC]
      #99461 - Mon Sep 03 2018 10:41 AM

A recent storm report from NWS Key West showed 65mph sustained winds at Carysport Reef.

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
      #99462 - Mon Sep 03 2018 11:40 AM

Radar suggests the track is a bit east of the projected as exhibited on ahe SWFMD site

--------------------
doug

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Tropical Storm Gordon forms Near the Florida Keys [Re: doug]
      #99464 - Mon Sep 03 2018 11:56 AM

Let us know what you are seeing locally at http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=99463&page=1&vc=1#Post994632

Recon is showing it continue to rapidly organize this morning, the 12Z GFS is all but worthless since it does not match whats going on right now.

doug
Weather Analyst

#99465 - Mon Sep 03 2018 01:28 PM

A little hint of an eye has appeared on the My Radar app on my IPad...could be an artifact

--------------------
doug

Joeyfl
Weather Guru

Loc: St.Pete,FL
      #99466 - Mon Sep 03 2018 01:53 PM

Definitely has taken bit of a NNW jog past few hours, now center just west of Marco Island. Be interesting to see how long this movement continues before it resumes NW path.

doug
Weather Analyst

Re: Tropical Storm Gordon forms Near the Florida Keys [Re: Joeyfl]
      #99467 - Mon Sep 03 2018 02:17 PM

I think it is closer to NW as it is not parallel to the coastline which is essentially NNW. It certainly is not WNW. Can it gain intensity quickly over the really warm water? That’s what I will be watching now

--------------------
doug

BloodstarModerator

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #99468 - Mon Sep 03 2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

A little hint of an eye has appeared on the My Radar app on my IPad...could be an artifact

See the same thing, but it must be an artifact, or a transient center clearing. Pressures are too high and winds are too low to support any real inner core of winds.

At least that's my on the feature

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

doug
Weather Analyst

Re: Tropical Storm Gordon forms Near the Florida Keys [Re: Bloodstar]
      #99469 - Mon Sep 03 2018 02:49 PM

I see quite a bit of shear in the radar presentation north an west of the low center not so much to the east and southeast

--------------------
doug

cieldumortModerator

Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Tropical Storm Gordon forms Near the Florida Keys [Re: Bloodstar]
      #99470 - Mon Sep 03 2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

See the same thing, but it must be an artifact, or a transient center clearing. Pressures are too high and winds are too low to support any real inner core of winds.

At least that's my on the feature

The ambient SLPs are relatively high. 1004mb is thereby low on a relative basis. The last recon pass through Gordon found 4mb drop in just 3 hours. The eyewall has shown multiple clean velocity scans well into upper-end tropical storm force, but off and on, or if you like, consistently inconsistent - but also consistent with the 65 MPH (56 KT) sustained wind from the Mesonet site NWS Key West reported earlier this morning.

IMHO, it is more likely than not that this is the development of an inner core and incipient eye (Would put the odds of this above 95%). However, that said, Gordon is a small/mid-sized TC with a very small inner core, and will likely be subject to rapid fluctuations (up and down) of intensity.

The track ahead is actually one of generally favorable shear and hearty SSTs, so an overall strengthening trend possibly with episodes of R.I. looks on target. Cat 1/2 hurricane at landfall seems to me very plausible - less or even slightly higher - depending.

*Edited to correct for pressure drop. (4mb not 6mb - finalized in the second vortex message).

Edited by cieldumort (Mon Sep 03 2018 03:27 PM)

doug
Weather Analyst

#99471 - Mon Sep 03 2018 03:05 PM

The WV loop seems to demonstrate an override of dryer air from the NW which has inhibited development north and west.

--------------------
doug

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#99478 - Mon Sep 03 2018 09:36 PM

Gordon is moving a bit to fast, looks like the existing center is starting to be exposed (and shifting west overall). The Upper Level low to the SW is keeping that side of it from going, while the east is blowing up big convection. Pretty messy setup, I think strengthening has halted for now (it may likely weaken for the 11PM) There's a chance the center may reform to the east, it may get interesting again midday tomorrow.

cieldumortModerator

#99479 - Mon Sep 03 2018 10:38 PM

Third pass through has found pressure leveling out at around 1005, but winds increasing - now a more conclusive argument for 50KT and possibly 55KT at 11.

The shear, dry air, and rapid movement others have noted appear to be the only thing keeping Gordon from ramping up fast, but so far, they do not appear to be weakening the tropical cyclone. Caveat being Gordon's small inner core is certainly putting at risk along the track should at any time conditions become less hospitable, for a significant drop in intensity.

CIMSS analyzes shear of 25 knots just to the circulation's north, but so far, this is nowhere near the core. More importantly, that shear will probably ease up should, as expected, deeper convection blow up over a wider area, bolstering the upper-level high aloft (and thus fending off that shear, or even weakening the shearing ULL altogether).

cieldumortModerator

Re: Tropical Storm Gordon Approaching North Gulf Coast [Re: MikeC]
      #99484 - Tue Sep 04 2018 09:51 PM

Looks like Gordon has ingested a bit of dry air within the past hour - that relentless higher-than-forecast shear others have noted above taking a toll, no doubt. Very close to hurricane, but probably in the books as high-end T.S. Clean radar velocities of up to 80 MPH at 1,500' may easily still produce a hurricane-force gust here and there - just not as possible for sustained. The eyewall has been fanning out. Good sign for those in the inner core of Gordon's immediate direct path, but issues to come. Water rising rapidly now in places, etc.

cieldumortModerator

Re: Tropical Storm Gordon Approaching North Gulf Coast [Re: MikeC]
      #99485 - Tue Sep 04 2018 11:25 PM

Spoke too soon last time. Gordon is still deepening into landfall with winds increasing - at least just above the surface - might happen to get a note in real time, but at a minimum, absolutely now a candidate for post-season reanalysis.

For those in Gordon, best to treat this like a landfalling Cat 1, regardless. Solid data to back that up, too.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., Atricks, danielw, Clark, Christine H, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort, Jackie M, Wigeon, Hank Buck 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21119

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center